British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Disaster in our little Town (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/disaster-our-little-town-848303/)

Lorna_D Dec 5th 2014 8:35 pm

Disaster in our little Town

On Wednesday Dec 5th our little Town was devastated by a gas explosion that thankfully did not take any lives. It blew a house to pieces and damaged at least 10 others. During the night at least 5 other leaks were found which meant gas and water turned off to about 40 other houses. It looks like a war zone here.

Our EMO team is awesome, our community and the community surrounding is awesome but its such a shame we had to find out this way.

Novocastrian Dec 5th 2014 8:48 pm

Re: Disaster in our little Town

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 11494082)
On Wednesday Dec 5th our little Town was devastated by a gas explosion that thankfully did not take any lives. It blew a house to pieces and damaged at least 10 others. During the night at least 5 other leaks were found which meant gas and water turned off to about 40 other houses. It looks like a war zone here.

Our EMO team is awesome, our community and the community surrounding is awesome but its such a shame we had to find out this way.

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that, but glad that no-one was killed.

Are you guys OK?

Lorna_D Dec 5th 2014 8:58 pm

We are tired but good. We live on the West of town which seems to be built on solid ground but the east of town is moving because of the high water table. Our son just emigrated here with his wife and had to be evacuated yesterday because of more gas leaks. :-(

Novocastrian Dec 5th 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 11494094)
We are tired but good. We live on the West of town which seems to be built on solid ground but the east of town is moving because of the high water table. Our son just emigrated here with his wife and had to be evacuated yesterday because of more gas leaks. :-(

Yea, a quick google suggests that ground movement may lie behind this.

This is not a good thing.

Lorna_D Dec 5th 2014 9:09 pm

Yes it's been a bad year for the Town, they had already declared an emergency and been granted Provincial Disaster money. Someone must have been looking after the Town because our Post Office is a busy little place in the afternoon.

Novocastrian Dec 5th 2014 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 11494100)
Yes it's been a bad year for the Town, they had already declared an emergency and been granted Provincial Disaster money. Someone must have been looking after the Town because our Post Office is a busy little place in the afternoon.

It doesn't sound very promising does it? Nice to hear that your son & DIL have joined you there though.

Good luck.

caretaker Dec 5th 2014 9:23 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I was following this on twitter while sitting in the bar in Regina and it got peoples' attention all the way over in Craven.

Lorna_D Dec 5th 2014 9:38 pm

and Southey apparently.

Novocastrian Dec 5th 2014 9:41 pm

Do I have to google Craven and Southey, or should I just agree to be impressed?

Lorna_D Dec 5th 2014 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11494119)
Do I have to google Craven and Southey, or should I just agree to be impressed?

lol not very impressive I'm afraid

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 5th 2014 10:04 pm

Certainly glad nobody was hurt or killed. I saw this on the news, and didn't realize we had someone on the forum from the town.

Is this sort of thing common with natural gas lines? I only ask as there seems to be reports about a house exploding from time to time because of a gas leak, just not sure if its something one needs to worry about.

bats Dec 5th 2014 10:14 pm

Im sorry to hear this Lorna. I hope you are all ok

Howefamily Dec 5th 2014 11:08 pm

So sorry to read this, how devastating. Hope you get back to normal life as soon as possible :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Tirytory Dec 6th 2014 2:34 am

That is awful but glad no one was hurt!

HGerchikov Dec 6th 2014 2:54 pm

That's not a nice situation to be in, but as Tirytory said glad no one was hurt. Hope the engineers can come up with a solution for the town.