Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A digital camera question

A digital camera question

Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A digital camera question

Originally Posted by iaink
However, its not that simple (is it ever?)

Nikon use Sony detectors...or it the other way round?
Toshiba and Pentax have connections, i think the Toshibas use (used) Pentax lenses
Panasonic have Leica bits, and the Leica digi cameras are built by Toshiba IIRC.

Really theres two things to think about, are the optics good (advantage old school camera companies), and are the electronics faithful to the image arriving at the detector (advantage Sony etc)

I chose based on the features I wanted and image quality for the price. I have a Sony camcorder...I tried a few, and it wiped the floor with the Canon ones in terms of image quality, autofocus speed, and response to different lighting etc, but when it came to a digital camera the Canon was miles ahead of the others for what I wanted.
Very true when I purchased my first Olympus it was based on very little knowledge of digitals my second was based on features the main one being image stabilised 10x zoom (38mm-380mm) 35mm equivalent.

The Canon Digital Rebel was at the time the only consumer priced digital SLR and I felt I needed to move to SLR as I was shooting some sports at the time, but couldn't justify the Canon 10D at the time.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Very true when I purchased my first Olympus it was based on very little knowledge of digitals my second was based on features the main one being image stabilised 10x zoom (38mm-380mm) 35mm equivalent.

The Canon Digital Rebel was at the time the only consumer priced digital SLR and I felt I needed to move to SLR as I was shooting some sports at the time, but couldn't justify the Canon 10D at the time.
Well, you know im just jealous of you SLR types anyway

Simple choice...nice camera or food on the table for the kids (all over the table more often than not)
Old Oct 12th 2006, 4:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
Oh Ro - Lots of very artsy shots there - fantastic! (Is it REALLY Essex???)

I especially like your "Sun comes up" it's reminiscent of an old master!
It reminds you of Butch?

Yeah... it REALLY is Essex!

Yeah AX - from Wivenhoe looking downriver.... you can just see the flood barrier.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple choice...nice camera or food on the table for the kids (all over the table more often than not)
ROFL point taken.

I've been there done that now I'm watching my grandaughter look like that after a "meal".
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hangman
Wow great pics Ro. Have you ever thought of getting prints made of some of those.

Digital cameras will eat up alkaline batteries you should always use NimH rechargeable if it takes AA batteries.
No, not until just now.

The batteries are NimH rechargeable though... probably me just always having the camera on... cos the camera takes a while to ready itself when I turn it on... and by then the bird has flown off.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:03 pm

:scared:
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
:scared:
Nothing to be :scared: about.... Its just blueberries (and mango?)

Now, on the other hand when it comes out the other end and her arse is stained blue, then its :scared:

Too much information???

Last edited by iaink; Oct 12th 2006 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Panasonic have Leica bits, and the Leica digi cameras are built by Toshiba IIRC.
True, the Panasonic have Matsushita (sp?) in there somewhere, too. I have the DMC-FZ20 (but mine is the silver one), which was a pressie last Christmas, and has whet my appetite - now I really, really, want a DSLR.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 5:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Calgal
True, the Panasonic have Matsushita (sp?) in there somewhere, too. I have the DMC-FZ20 (but mine is the silver one), which was a pressie last Christmas, and has whet my appetite - now I really, really, want a DSLR.
Nice pressie. I must have been naughty ... socks again

Matsushita is the parent company of both Panasonics and Technics. Kind of how Subaru is really "Fuji Heavy industries"

I guess Technics is the Lexus to Panasonics Toyota?.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 12th 2006 at 5:41 pm.