Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The difference between the US & Canada?

The difference between the US & Canada?

Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:16 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The difference between the US & Canada?

Canada needs more people, that's pretty much what it comes down to. 3.49 people per square km does not a juggernaut economy make, sub-arctic tundra be damned.

Russia has entire cities above the arctic circle.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Sep 25th 2017 at 2:19 am.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Canada needs more people, that's pretty much what it comes down to.
Not when so many jobs are about to be automated away. America may be in a much worse position to deal with the rise of automation than Canada is, because it built a far more industrial economy, and pretty much all the industrial jobs that haven't been shipped to China will soon be done by robots.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If robots take over, how will people survive? I understand automation and robots are the future, but how will companies sell anything if people are not working?

The only thing I can come up with as to the difference between US and Canada is the US went independent of the UK and had a larger population from the start, and maybe the US has more liberal immigration back in the day that kept building the population.

Look at Australia, better weather but still far smaller population wise vs the US.

Granted they have a huge middle part that might not be the most popular place to live. But hey the US has major city's in the middle of deserts with hot weather, so people very clearly will live in dry, hot places.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:09 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If robots take over, how will people survive? I understand automation and robots are the future, but how will companies sell anything if people are not working?

The only thing I can come up with as to the difference between US and Canada is the US went independent of the UK and had a larger population from the start, and maybe the US has more liberal immigration back in the day that kept building the population.

Look at Australia, better weather but still far smaller population wise vs the US.

Granted they have a huge middle part that might not be the most popular place to live. But hey the US has major city's in the middle of deserts with hot weather, so people very clearly will live in dry, hot places.
It's even a more of a shithole than Canada.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's even a more of a shithole than Canada.
I quite liked Sydney. I would prefer to live there vs Vancouver...

My list of countries to live:

US
Australia
Canada
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If robots take over, how will people survive? I understand automation and robots are the future, but how will companies sell anything if people are not working? .....
That argument has been used repeatedly since the start of the industrial revolution more than 200 years ago. At each incremental step forward of technology, say every 30-40 years, there has been the same argument put forward - if machines replace workers, what will everyone do?

There have been relatively short periods of adjustment as the change in technology has been "digested" by economies, but at no point since the start of the industrial revolution has there been a permanent loss of jobs due to mechanization and improved technology. I am not aware of any basis to think it is different this time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2017 at 12:52 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 12:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...my list of countries to live:
US
Australia
Canada
What no UK? Disgraceful. Your membership of BE should be terminated forthwith.

Originally Posted by Donald Trump
Get that son of a bitch off the field.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That argument has been used repeatedly since the start of the industrial revolution more than 200 years ago. At each incremental step forward of technology, say every 30-40 years, there has been the same argument put forward - if machines replace workers, what will everyone do?

There have been relatively short periods of adjustment as the change in technology has been "digested" by economies, but at no point since the start of the industrial revolution has there been a permanent loss of jobs due to mechanization and improved technology. I am not aware of any basis to think it is different this time.
It's different this time. Full discussion in the Barbie.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's different this time. Full discussion in the Barbie.
Been there, and it was a pretty turgid argument going on the last time I looked.

The "it's different this time" argument has been tried every time subsequent to the first time. That argument has also been wrong every time, and it is this time too.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Been there, and it was a pretty turgid argument going on the last time I looked.

The "it's different this time" argument has been tried every time subsequent to the first time. That argument has also been wrong every time, and it is this time too.
The "its different this time" argument has been wrong consistently on this issue, party because of the dynamic nature of the economy with a reasonable level of economic freedom. The transition can be brutal- and with the more restrictions in place now on the economy ( the growth in regulation the past decades is astonishing)- and perhaps making transition harder.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

The jobs of the future just seem too skilled for the masses. Those working low skill jobs a good % likely cannot do highly skilled jobs. We are just not all smart enough and its those group of folks who are most at risk.

In 20 years time we likely will not need truck drivers, cashiers, plane loaders etc and will there be enough low skill jobs left for people like me.

I am not so sure.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The jobs of the future just seem too skilled for the masses. Those working low skill jobs a good % likely cannot do highly skilled jobs. We are just not all smart enough and its those group of folks who are most at risk.

In 20 years time we likely will not need truck drivers, cashiers, plane loaders etc and will there be enough low skill jobs left for people like me.

I am not so sure.
I'm in a low-skilled job that may be supplanted by, but not replaced by technology for the same cost.

I work as event security, and as a door supervisor.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:58 pm

..... In 20 years time we likely will not need truck drivers, cashiers, plane loaders .......
100 years ago stable hands were facing a bleak future but there was no such job as a plane loader. The future is full of surprises, including creating jobs that not only didn't exist, but nobody had even imagined.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:08 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I am not so sure.
You hit the nail on the head. It won't just affect 'people like you' but many office workers and professions too. Anything repetitive. With luck, governments will have introduced UBI (universal basic income) by that stage to support displaced workers.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 1:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I work as a door supervisor.
You should be fine then. There are always openings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.