British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Desert Island Album (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/desert-island-album-935216/)

Jingsamichty Oct 10th 2020 8:44 am

Desert Island Album

Listening to BBC 6Music this morning, with Stuart Maconie talking to Lloyd Cole. They're playing and discussing the 1984 debut album "Rattlesnakes" by Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, which was a constant backdrop to my teenage years (and the decades beyond).

I think if I were to be dumped on a desert island with only one album, that would be it. If you were to be stuck with only one album to see out your years on a desert island, what would you choose?

Partially discharged Oct 10th 2020 11:16 am

Re: Desert Island Album

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12920639)
Listening to BBC 6Music this morning, with Stuart Maconie talking to Lloyd Cole. They're playing and discussing the 1984 debut album "Rattlesnakes" by Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, which was a constant backdrop to my teenage years (and the decades beyond).

I think if I were to be dumped on a desert island with only one album, that would be it. If you were to be stuck with only one album to see out your years on a desert island, what would you choose?

Hmm...that is tough. I'll suggest 10 and none will be 'Best of'

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
The Jam - Sound Affects
Roxy Music - Country Life
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Blur - Parklife
Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
Joni Mitchell - Blue
The Beatles - The White Album
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

macadian Oct 10th 2020 12:05 pm

Only one? I guess it would be "love over fear' by Pendragon.

Jerseygirl Oct 10th 2020 12:28 pm

Best of The Eagles
Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

MillieF Oct 10th 2020 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12920679)
Best of The Eagles
Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

Oh can I come to your island JG I’d be very happy with them, but I’d also add a Stones, and a David Cassidy!!! Haven’t listened to him for years but if stuck on an island, possibly facing imminent demise, I’d like a memory of misspent youth with screaming friends at Wembley Stadium :wub:

spouse of scouse Oct 10th 2020 12:53 pm

Hard to name just one, but I'll stick to the rules. Odyssey Number Five, Powderfinger.

BristolUK Oct 10th 2020 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12920639)

I had Rattlesnakes. I bought my house in 1984 and it formed a major part of the tapes I made up for my house-warming party.

On a desert island it would most likely be Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill with Springsteen's Born To Run as back-up.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...9c0e8e0ad1.png

Hawkmoon77 Oct 13th 2020 9:10 pm

Either Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow or Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, both of which I wore out on vinyl.

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 13th 2020 9:33 pm

To echo a post upthread, it's hard to name just one.

Random Access Memories, Daft Punk :nod:

Shard Oct 15th 2020 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12921671)
Either Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow or Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, both of which I wore out on vinyl.

Presumably you replaced it ? I remember my very first hearing of it and being kind of blown away. Bought on cassette tape :unsure: initially, and then, regrettably, a CD non-double version (highlights) which continues to annoy me as I know it inside out. Might have to replace it at some stage.

DIA only ONE album: Decade - Neil Young

BristolUK Oct 15th 2020 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by most people
What's an album?

:rofl:

Oink Oct 19th 2020 5:14 am

The Stone Roses (album)

Shard Oct 19th 2020 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12923445)
The Stone Roses (album)

Now there's a group somehow missing from my Spotify. Breaking in to Heaven now playing and album added. :)

Jingsamichty Oct 19th 2020 2:04 pm

Last night while I was making dinner I was listening to the Tom Robinson show on 6 Music, he had a 2 hour playlist of "shoegaze" music - it was brilliant, I've always been a bit of a closet shoegazer :rofl: You can't beat a bit of chiming guitars with feedback. Took me right back to living in Camden in the early 90s.

Ride, The Verve, Mazzy Star, Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine... all excellent stuff. And a new one on me, a Japanese band called Plant Cell, with song called "Spirit who dwells on or in a mountain"

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 19th 2020 2:25 pm

The Animals keep on popping up in my YouTube feed, classic.