Deregeristing a car?

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 1:12 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deregeristing a car?

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Ontario you can get "historic" plates for which the sticker is a nominal price (I forget how much but do remember being shocked at something purchased from the government being less than I expected).The car has to be 30 years old though so only one of ours counts.
yeah you can get one here too, I think there are a couple of different levels, one is to drive to and from shows only, which is a bit pants.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

oh dear. I was hoping not to have to stop him driving as I don’t think the accident was his fault, but with no witnesses it was settled 50:50. Maybe going through a broker would help.

It Am glad to know it’s possible to just not renew the sticker. Will have to see what changes we can make, Thanks for your input.
Not that this is going to help after the fact, but this is why you buy a dashcam for the vehicle. In this case it would have paid for itself.

I'd definitely check into quotes for another insurer, $800/mo for 1 accident seems ridiculous and in high risk / facility insurance territory. How long until your son is eligible for full G license? He should do that ASAP as well if he can.

Try separating your sons vehicle from your other 2 vehicles, maybe taking out a separate policy for "his" vehicle with him as the primary driver, and removing him from your original insurance policy.

Or if you wanted to be sketchy you could have a separate policy for the vehicle in your name with him as an occasional driver. As far as i am aware, if it is a separate insurance company they do not automatically know the other 2 vehicles exist. Though i'm not condoning this activity, it was suggested by an insurance broker friend that it would be tough for them to notice in this scenario.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
yeah you can get one here too, I think there are a couple of different levels, one is to drive to and from shows only, which is a bit pants.
Yes - the historic plate program in ON is much the same: you're only supposed to drive the car to and from "properly constituted" shows and events, to and from a repair shop, or for demonstrations for potential sale. Since almost all informal car meet-ups and cruises aren't "properly constituted" (i.e. don't have appropriate permits and zoning exemptions etc from the local municipality) there's almost no occasion to drive the car that isn't in contravention of the historic plates rules. Even driving it to the pub car park for the monthly meet up of the owners' club would, strictly speaking, be in contravention of the rules. Every now and then the police have some sort of crackdown - it's a $170 ticket, against a $100 saving for the historic plate fee. I suppose it's OK for garage queens and concours specials, but is of no practical use for a car that you actually want to drive.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Yes - the historic plate program in ON is much the same: you're only supposed to drive the car to and from "properly constituted" shows and events, to and from a repair shop, or for demonstrations for potential sale. Since almost all informal car meet-ups and cruises aren't "properly constituted" (i.e. don't have appropriate permits and zoning exemptions etc from the local municipality) there's almost no occasion to drive the car that isn't in contravention of the historic plates rules. Even driving it to the pub car park for the monthly meet up of the owners' club would, strictly speaking, be in contravention of the rules. Every now and then the police have some sort of crackdown - it's a $170 ticket, against a $100 saving for the historic plate fee. I suppose it's OK for garage queens and concours specials, but is of no practical use for a car that you actually want to drive.
Oh. "Have one of these historic ones" said the woman at the DVLC, "they're cheaper", so that's what I have.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Not that this is going to help after the fact, but this is why you buy a dashcam for the vehicle. In this case it would have paid for itself.

I'd definitely check into quotes for another insurer, $800/mo for 1 accident seems ridiculous and in high risk / facility insurance territory. How long until your son is eligible for full G license? He should do that ASAP as well if he can.

Try separating your sons vehicle from your other 2 vehicles, maybe taking out a separate policy for "his" vehicle with him as the primary driver, and removing him from your original insurance policy.

Or if you wanted to be sketchy you could have a separate policy for the vehicle in your name with him as an occasional driver. As far as i am aware, if it is a separate insurance company they do not automatically know the other 2 vehicles exist. Though i'm not condoning this activity, it was suggested by an insurance broker friend that it would be tough for them to notice in this scenario.
This is in fact the only car that does have a dash cam, but it wasn’t turned on. I think knowing that it would have ‘saved ‘ him means he has never forgotten since, but that horse is already halfway into the next county.

The insurance hike was partly a result of how long he has been driving, but he will do his G when he’s eligible even though I dread the thought of highway driving. It also didn’t help that the accident came very shortly before the insurance was due for renewal.

I am too old, and anxious, to be ‘sketchy’ so from tomorrow that car is out of action. He will have insurance for occasional use of our cars, and even that didn’t look possible at one point.

(also hello 👋 Gozit! Long time since I read your name. Hope all is well with you.)
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:02 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Deregeristing a car?

What Oakvillan said. I looked into it on the old bike, but it only saves $20 a year, and pretty much gives the plod license to harass you at will. I had assumed it would have been aligned with the vintage insurance stipulations but apparently not.

On the subject of plates, I got my peeled to nothing defective B-prefix plates replaced for free in double quick time at Service Ontario the other day. I've seen a fair bit of common sense at that particular outlet.

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Ontario you can get "historic" plates for which the sticker is a nominal price (I forget how much but do remember being shocked at something purchased from the government being less than I expected).The car has to be 30 years old though so only one of ours counts.
Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 11:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
What Oakvillan said. I looked into it on the old bike, but it only saves $20 a year, and pretty much gives the plod license to harass you at will. I had assumed it would have been aligned with the vintage insurance stipulations but apparently not.

On the subject of plates, I got my peeled to nothing defective B-prefix plates replaced for free in double quick time at Service Ontario the other day. I've seen a fair bit of common sense at that particular outlet.
I note with horror that I am in breach of an Ontario regulation. Ignorance being no excuse I shall make a point of feeling slightly bothered about it, one of these days.