Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Definitely newsworthy

Definitely newsworthy

Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Definitely newsworthy

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Would they have a car to drive me around to all the places I've not seen?
Euuhhh.... nope!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Definitely newsworthy

Slow news day - Scooters littering city streets shout at people: 'Unlock me or I'll call the police'
“Unlock me to ride me, or I’ll call the police.” A female voice from within Lime’s e-scooters shouts the threat to anyone who tries to fiddle with the rides without downloading the app and paying.
Fuss about nothing.
There’s no evidence that the obnoxious feature actually leads to an automated call to police.
There's no evidence that the ALARM sticker on our front door means the house is alarmed or that the ALARM box on some houses means there's actually an alarm, but if it works as a deterrent to the opportunist would-be-burglar...
“Having a random voice yelling out, ‘I’m going to call the police on you,’ it’s really scary.”
I doubt it but then that's not what it's saying (not yelling) is it. It's a very specific phrase addressing an action that you're not supposed to be taking.

Would you come across a bike and sit on it and fiddle with the gears or brakes? Why would you do the same with a scooter?

I've heard of the similar bike sharing schemes but not scooters. If I came across one, I'd assume someone had parked it. I'd leave it alone, it's theirs. If I came across a couple, I'd assume the same. If I came across a dozen and there was no sign that seemed appropriate, I'd think it was a delivery or something.

“I’ve gotten plenty of complaints from residents and shopkeepers who are pissed off about the noise as well as the police state intimidation tactic. It’s kind of ironic they go and plop them in the middle of the sidewalk, and then these things start abusing people.”
Abusing people. Jeez, it's no wonder some people have taken to using the word 'snowflake' As for the noise, what about car alarms going off for no alarm related reasons? (oops...bit of whataboutery there)

On Wednesday night, a Lime spokesperson, Jack Song, said the company had “updated” its “anti-theft alarm” in a new model, which no longer has any message. The company was gradually phasing out the old versions
So this non-issue is actually coming to an end anyway.