British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Declaring foreign bank accounts to the CRA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/declaring-foreign-bank-accounts-cra-912060/)

Gozit Apr 23rd 2018 11:05 pm

Declaring foreign bank accounts to the CRA

Ok, tax time question.

I have a bank account in Malta that has about 1000EUR in it that I make transfers to throughout the year from my Canadian accounts via Transferwise to pay expenses down there. It's a normal chequing/savings account, and I have a credit card there as well.

Form T1135 only indicates declaring assets over C$100,000 so I assume I don't have to declare anything here?

MarkG Apr 23rd 2018 11:52 pm

Re: Declaring foreign bank accounts to the CRA

You said it's a savings account, so presumably you'd have to declare any interest.

Aviator Apr 24th 2018 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12487755)
Ok, tax time question.

I have a bank account in Malta that has about 1000EUR in it that I make transfers to throughout the year from my Canadian accounts via Transferwise to pay expenses down there. It's a normal chequing/savings account, and I have a credit card there as well.

Form T1135 only indicates declaring assets over C$100,000 so I assume I don't have to declare anything here?

Only need to report any investment earnings, although on a savings account is not going to be that high. T1135 does not apply to a savings account under $100k.

Gozit Apr 24th 2018 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 12487777)
You said it's a savings account, so presumably you'd have to declare any interest.

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12487863)
Only need to report any investment earnings, although on a savings account is not going to be that high. T1135 does not apply to a savings account under $100k.

So I only need to report investment earnings *over* 100k, meaning this account would not apply?

I believe in the last year i earned 32 cents in interest or something absurdly low like that. I would hope I don't need to report that :lol:

It was set up as a savings account, not sure why though as I didn't specify that when I opened it, I just wanted a generic chequing account. But in Malta i'm not sure there's much difference. I don't pay any fees on it.

Aviator Apr 25th 2018 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12488535)
So I only need to report investment earnings *over* 100k, meaning this account would not apply?

I believe in the last year i earned 32 cents in interest or something absurdly low like that. I would hope I don't need to report that :lol:

It was set up as a savings account, not sure why though as I didn't specify that when I opened it, I just wanted a generic chequing account. But in Malta i'm not sure there's much difference. I don't pay any fees on it.

Correct. Although for $1000 and 32c return, I would be looking for somewhere else to put my money!

Gozit Apr 25th 2018 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12488556)
Correct. Although for $1000 and 32c return, I would be looking for somewhere else to put my money!

Cheers :)

Yeah, it's not great. But I didn't put it down there as an investment, its spending money. If I ever wanted to invest there I would do something else for sure, but I think it's easier to concentrate on TFSA and RRSP here in Canada at least for now.

Snowy560 Apr 25th 2018 3:16 am

I think you have to report assets on the T1135 as well as income but there is now simplified reporting or more detailed reporting depending on the amount of assets/income.

Aviator Apr 25th 2018 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12488579)
I think you have to report assets on the T1135 as well as income but there is now simplified reporting or more detailed reporting depending on the amount of assets/income.

Assets of over $100,000 cost on the T1135 not all assets. Foreign income or CGT can be reported on a T1. A T1135 is a verification form that accompanies the T1.

Snowy560 Apr 25th 2018 3:31 am

Yes I knew over $100K. The tax person does for us. Simplified reporting is under $250K. (but over $100K). If you have a house in the UK you're almost certainly going to be filing one.