Decks

Old May 29th 2010, 3:06 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decks

Originally Posted by iaink
Whatever you do DONT STAIN CEDAR.

If you pay the premium for Cedar, then just let it age naturally, staining may actually shorten it lifespan.
Good to know! Thanks.
Old May 29th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Doesnt it get REALLY hot to walk on though?

I would have considered it, but they built a deck out of it at the beach and it gets absolutely 3rd degree burn hot. Wood seems a lot more comfortable to my bare feet, and our south facing deck gets insanely hot in the summer until we put the sun shades up, often the thermometer dial is pushing 50+!

Maybe its a colour thing though... although I thought the smooth finish contributed to the problem.
Nope! Just fine to walk on in the summer - no third degree burns here!
Old May 29th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Here are a few pics for you....

What we inherited when we purchased the property, through to completion:

2 refurbished deck areas (new cedar planking, railing and staircases), plus an additional deck, staircase and fly-screened gazebo.
Did you replace the siding, or paint it?

Love the gazebo type deck too.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:17 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Did you replace the siding, or paint it?

Love the gazebo type deck too.
Thanks Ann.

We re-sided the whole house. Painting old siding isn't a great option, and ours was cracked and need of replacement. We added a layer of high density foam/aluminum backed insulation in-between the siding and the house which has made a big difference to heat/cooling.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do DONT STAIN CEDAR.

If you pay the premium for Cedar, then just let it age naturally, staining may actually shorten it lifespan.
For reals? We stained ours. (Got a new deck built last year). I guess I just wonder how it would hold up in endless BC rain w/out staining? Stain was shit anyway - mostly came off.
Old May 29th 2010, 5:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
For reals? We stained ours. (Got a new deck built last year).
Yep, for reals.

No doubt you already frequent this forum, but in case you missed this post....http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=29886
Old May 29th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

A lovely deck. I love the glass panels.
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by Cookie
We had our deck built 3 years ago as an extension to the one already built - the existing one had no direct access to the garden . We used pressure treated lumber from Home Hardware/Proudfoots, and used their sub-contractor to build it. We drew the plans up ourselves and the deck was a whole lot bigger than I had visualized it

Our decking has no visible nail holes because it is screwed from underneath. It is also all picture framed, with some areas chevroned for a really nice look.

Best of all we used glass panels for all railings looking down onto our above ground pool. I had seen the clever use of glass panels on a TV programme. We love it
Old May 29th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Rich
You have a lovely home. Is it an acreage? Any Bears? Drove through Kamloops when we stayed in Calgary and drove to visit friends in Abbotsford BC. Stunning part of Canada, fantastic drive too.
lol
Stef
A few more....
Old May 29th 2010, 6:05 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Rich
You have a lovely home. Is it an acreage? Any Bears? Drove through Kamloops when we stayed in Calgary and drove to visit friends in Abbotsford BC. Stunning part of Canada, fantastic drive too.
lol
Stef
Thank you Stef. Yes, it's on 3.5 acres and is bordered by a creek and Crown land, so we get all sorts of wildlife including bears. Feels very rural, but only 20 minutes to get downtown, so convenient for work etc.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, for reals.

No doubt you already frequent this forum, but in case you missed this post....http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=29886
Okay, this is news to me. The only thing is, the wood is already cracking - facing south & unprotected as stain hasn't lasted.
Old May 29th 2010, 6:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

For reals? We stained ours. (Got a new deck built last year). I guess I just wonder how it would hold up in endless BC rain w/out staining? Stain was shit anyway - mostly came off.
Yep, for reals.

Okay, this is news to me. The only thing is, the wood is already cracking - facing south & unprotected as stain hasn't lasted.
Not a stain but supposedly a preservative usable on cedar and any other wood.

I make no claims for this product, I've never used it. Below is quoted directly from their website spelling errors and all.

• Parks Canada has used LifeTime in several of our National Parks including Banff, Kootenay and Yoho National Parks.
  • The British Columbia Ministry of Transportation approveds LifeTime for municipal and highway signage projects.
  • The City of Calgary is using LifeTime for treating wooden roadside sound barrier fencing.
  • Nova Scotia Natural Resources is testing the product on picnic tables in Provincial Parks.
  • Several construction contracotrs and log home builders are now using LifeTime in Canada and the U.S.
http://www.valhalco.com/

http://www.lifetimewoodtreatment.com/index.htm

Cheers
Steve
Old May 30th 2010, 2:19 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, for reals.

OK, I read that, but I don't think it says NEVER STAIN cedar, just that you don't have to .... It does seem to say do not SEAL it though.