Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Old Jun 8th 2015, 10:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

In my first year in Canada (06/07) my mother sent me a letter with the address all correct except for one digit on the postcode. It came all the way to Edmonton Alberta, then got sent back all the way to the UK.

The same year, '06, two friends sent us Christmas presents. Both arrived months after Christmas. One, a calendar had got opened en route and the contents of the envelope was missing.

After that, I warned everyone in the UK never to send me a letter or parcel.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Canada Post is a giant crock. I agree with Jsmth - ordering online will be dead in this country if there isn't a change. When I order something online, it generally takes about a week at best to get here. UPS leaves things on the front step, but I am tracking it like a hawk and have people at home on watch to pick it up, but tbh i rather them leave it then have to drag someone to drive 20 mins to pick it up. But when I can drive on my own i'll just go pick it up, no worries. Canada post usually comes to the door, but often at an inconvenient time (so it goes to the PO) and days after it was supposed to be shipped. I paid for Xpresspost St Thomas--> Toronto, should have taken 2 business days, took 5. Fedex always makes you sign unless you post the waiver in plain sight, but they at least come when I am home so I can sign for it.

But 1 week *at best* is a joke. It took 2 days to ship something from London, England, to Malta. I got to choose when they delivered it so I knew someone would be home, I could choose to have it automatically redirected to a post office if need be, or redirected to someone's workplace, or the neighbour. Online shopping in the US and Europe is so much easier than here.
It's amusing UPS Ground is faster then Xpress Post is...lol

Generally if something is coming from within the lower mainland it takes 2-3 days on average, coming from Ontario, 5+ days.

I try and find companies in the US with reasonable shipping to Canada, its almost always faster to order from a US company then it is to order and have something shipped from within Canada, stupid how slow Canada Post is, and their tracking system sucks.

In our area Canada Post makes no attempt to deliver a parcel it automatically goes to the Postal outlet and then we get a pick up slip to pick up the next day after 1pm.

If they can deliver the mail, and the pick up notice, they should be able to just deliver the parcel as well.

Tried having things delivered signature required, still goes to the post office for pick up and then I sign for it there.

They do not for whatever reason deliver parcels to your door any more around here.

UPS and Fedex are the best, they deliver to the door. they have good tracking and unless a signature is required they will leave it at your door. I have never had to pick up a parcel from either of those companies.

I actually avoid companies who use Canada Post, its not worth ordering from them if I can avoid it.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Item was shipped on July 20th, received and processed in Richmond, BC on July 23rd, and still has not arrived. Going to call and inquire tomorrow, hasn't been an update in 6 days and no parcel either, seems a bit long considering it was mailed and processed 60km's away, maybe it got onto a truck going to the east coast?

Upside a parcel mailed from San Diego last Monday, arrived today, not bad. 7 days and involves 2 countries.

2015/07/23

17:44 RICHMOND, BC In transit
14:54 RICHMOND, BC Item processed
10:42 RICHMOND, BC Shipment received at originating postal facility

2015/07/20

20:34 RICHMOND, BC Shipment received
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:57 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, we received a missing package of Christmas stuff sent by my sister. Airmailed from the UK on 11th December 2014. Arrived at our mailbox July 28th 2015!!!!!!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Yesterday, we received a missing package of Christmas stuff sent by my sister. Airmailed from the UK on 11th December 2014. Arrived at our mailbox July 28th 2015!!!!!!
That is quite a record. Hope it wasn't all perishable and the gift could be salvaged.

Ever since Canada Post moved to the processing plant for this region, their service has dive bombed, seems to be something slowing mail down through there.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Canada Post surprised the heck out of me this week: parcel from UK to rural QC arrived in 4 days; package from rural Qc to rural Kentucky left here via Express-post 3pm Friday, arrived there noon Monday.

I was impressed... Especially having discovered that Fedex counter has moved to Tremblant, & Purolator doesn't accept US deliveries from here . I was cursing that C-P was my only option Friday pm.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Small parcel (45g - laptop screws) despatched in Florida on 6th July. Arrived with Canada Post in Richmond a mere 2 days later.

Delivered in Maple Ridge yesterday....

What were Canada Post doing with it for 20 days?????
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by withabix
Small parcel (45g - laptop screws) despatched in Florida on 6th July. Arrived with Canada Post in Richmond a mere 2 days later.

That is the big question, Richmond seems to be some blackhole right now.

I've got a friend who ships things weekly from Victoria to Abbotsford, and it always takes 2-3 days to process in Richmond before it gets moving again, takes over a week in all to get to Abby from Victoria.

Something going on in Richmond processing plant I think.

Our parcel shows out for delivery today, all in all it took 9 days from the day it was mailed, to the day of arrival and spent 6 days in transit to get to Squamish from Richmond.

Their own service standard said it should have taken 3 days, something seriously wrong in Richmond it seems.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:20 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

Most likely the holdup was in customs clearance. I recently bought same small parts from Hong Kong. It took four days to get from HK to Mississauga and I didn't receive the package until 16 days after it arrived at customs there.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

I am still waiting on a parcel that is coming from California, it was scanned on December 19th as having left Vancouver International Airport to it's final destination, no scan since then.....well until today when I look there is a new entry.

2015/12/31 Sydney, AUS Item has arrived at sort facility.

I assume they mean Sydney, Australia and then the question becomes, why did Canada Post send it there?

Maybe just a cross in tracking numbers somewhere?

Either way Canada Post can neither confirm or deny where it is.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I assume they mean Sydney, Australia and then the question becomes, why did Canada Post send it there?
It's probably one of these.

So you have nothing to worry about as it will come back.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary to most of my experience with CP, I ordered something on Sunday evening, and got it Wednesday morning. Only thing was, it scanned as "delivered" but was nowhere to be found on my property. Thankfully I was smart enough to check the mailbox 20 minutes later and there it was. Its actually better to put it in the mailbox since that way its more secure but I mean can they at least be consistent? 99% of the other times it comes straight to the door or I have it DPO (delivered to post office).
Old Jan 1st 2016, 2:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gozit
On the contrary to most of my experience with CP, I ordered something on Sunday evening, and got it Wednesday morning. Only thing was, it scanned as "delivered" but was nowhere to be found on my property. Thankfully I was smart enough to check the mailbox 20 minutes later and there it was. Its actually better to put it in the mailbox since that way its more secure but I mean can they at least be consistent? 99% of the other times it comes straight to the door or I have it DPO (delivered to post office).
I'd be happy if they actually delivered parcels, but they send them to a postal outlet at Shoppers who can't handle the volume during the holidays, and can take them 3-4 extra days to process the parcels until you can pick up.

Oh well, the company it was ordered from has sent a replacement via Fedex, they said they have a lot of issues with Canada Post and are in the process of switching everything over to Fedex.

I dread anytime something is sent Canada Post, so much so, I pay extra on Amazon now for 1 day shipping to ensure they use UPS instead...
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I mailed Christmas cards from Canada to England a few weeks ago. (I always stuff a dozen or so cards into a larger envelope and mail it to my Mum for distribution.)

When they weighed the envelope they told me that to mail it as an "oversized letter" it would cost $20, but if they mailed it as a "small package" it would be $12 then they said as a "small air package" it was $9!!

I opted for the $9 option!

How does that work???
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
I mailed Christmas cards from Canada to England a few weeks ago. (I always stuff a dozen or so cards into a larger envelope and mail it to my Mum for distribution.)

When they weighed the envelope they told me that to mail it as an "oversized letter" it would cost $20, but if they mailed it as a "small package" it would be $12 then they said as a "small air package" it was $9!!

I opted for the $9 option!

How does that work???
I always send cards in separate envelopes. I used to mail multi cards in one envelope...until the large envelope got lost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.