Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

So to summarise then, delivery systems messing up include Walmart, Canada Post, Amazon and Royal Mail while systems capable of providing good service include Walmart, Canada Post, Amazon and Royal Mail.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Happens all the time. Some years ago, Canada Post decided that nobody lived at my address (where I'd been for 18 months). We didn't realise until we started getting snotty calls about unpaid utility bills, which we hadn't received.

It took ages to sort the mess out.

The couriers are no better. My personal record for an express UPS shipment from the UK was eight days. Fedex also has problems. Stuff sent to me is always "next day". It never happens. It goes from Wimbledon to Stanstead to Atlanta to what what remains of Montreal's Mirabel to Ottawa, where Customs dick around/slash it open and generally delay things until the delivery truck has gone out. I usually count on 3 days, more if there is a Bank Holiday weekend involved.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever courier a UK book club started using back in England when I was there once left me a card, for my return home, advising me where they had left my parcel.

In the rubbish bin by the side of the front door.

Fortunately it wasn't collection day.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:45 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least I know I'm not alone in this insanity... I'm just annoyed it's gone on such a roundabout route when I could drive to pick it up in like 15 minutes. Come on!! Perhaps privitazing it wouldn't be the worst idea...
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I sent a letter by Canada Post snail mail to UK and on the back of the letter I wrote the senders address,my address ,2 days later it arrived back at my home.They had stamped the reverse side of the letter instead of the front with the stamp on it and the postie delivered like that!
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I sent a letter by Canada Post snail mail to UK and on the back of the letter I wrote the senders address,my address ,2 days later it arrived back at my home.They had stamped the reverse side of the letter instead of the front with the stamp on it and the postie delivered like that!

Incompetent doesn't even begin to cover Canada Post..
Their express post 'service' is a absolute and total joke. Took 4 weeks to get a couple of photos to the UK and back again last year. And the last time I looked, over a month after they had been returned to us in Canada, on their system they were still sitting 'on hold' at the post office in the UK...
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Anything that should have had a fee to pay, Canada Post has delivered and I've not had to pay. Well done Canada Post.

Not sure which private courier company it was but their collection fee was more than the fee to collect.

Down with private courier companies.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Royal Mail - good
US Postal Service - good
Canada Post - bad
But, most of the posties I know are very nice, only one letter carrier hasn't been nice , one inside worker who I've met hunting is a total dick, and one clerk at a convenience store outlet was stupid and unpleasant.
The efficiency of the system is awful and costs far too much.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Typical Canadian postage things...

Once bought an item from a retailer with a warehouse in Mississauga and needed it sent to Guelph. It went via New Jersey if I recall. That was UPS or Fedex though.

So nothing to do with Canadian postage then.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Amazon has this in Canada already. It's a possible shipping option after you confirm the shipping address. Obviously only if you're in an area where it's offered. Being in Toronto and getting in stock delivered from Mississauga offers same day.
Suppose that is why I had no idea, never been offered or mentioned by Amazon when I have ordered, but it will never be available in my area in my view, we can't even get reliable next day service.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Well at least I know I'm not alone in this insanity... I'm just annoyed it's gone on such a roundabout route when I could drive to pick it up in like 15 minutes. Come on!! Perhaps privitazing it wouldn't be the worst idea...
We would lose traditional mail if it were fully private, no private company is going to fuss around with letter mail, look at what Fedex and UPS charge for a simple letter vs Canada Post.

Canada Post is inefficient, and crappy when it comes to parcels and express stuff because its way overpriced for the crap service, but 77 cents or whatever a stamp is, the service is acceptable for letter mail.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Canada Post are shockingly bad.

Their staff are also obviously told to lie about deliveries as well, presumably to artificially massage the on-time performance figures.

For parcels, 'Delivered' usually means 'We didn't even bother to put a card in your mailbox today, despite the fact that the parcel would have actually fitted in your mailbox, let alone the Parcel Boxes at the bottom of the cabinet and we might actually deliver the card tomorrow or the day after, you know, if we can be bothered, by which time you will actually have guessed where the parcel is and have already collected it, eh?'.

I do however like the slot they provide in the mailbox cabinet for you to dispose of the unaddressed junk mail that they insist on filling your mailbox with. Very considerate.

I can get a parcel delivered from the UK in less than 48 hours (my record was 19 hours!), yet something coming from Richmond or Langley (Amazon, BestBuy, etc) takes more than a week to get to Abbotsford....

As for Amazon, their latest wheeze is to change the available delivery option on most Amazon Prime orders to 'Standard Delivery'. That's the same as the free 'we will send it in about a week, maybe' service. What service am I paying for again?

Last edited by withabix; Mar 7th 2015 at 5:25 am.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by withabix
Canada Post are shockingly bad.

Their staff are also obviously told to lie about deliveries as well, presumably to artificially massage the on-time performance figures.

For parcels, 'Delivered' usually means 'We didn't even bother to put a card in your mailbox today, despite the fact that the parcel would have actually fitted in your mailbox, let alone the Parcel Boxes at the bottom of the cabinet and we might actually deliver the card tomorrow or the day after, you know, if we can be bothered, by which time you will actually have guessed where the parcel is and have already collected it, eh?'.

I do however like the slot they provide in the mailbox cabinet for you to dispose of the unaddressed junk mail that they insist on filling your mailbox with. Very considerate.

I can get a parcel delivered from the UK in less than 48 hours (my record was 19 hours!), yet something coming from Richmond or Langley (Amazon, BestBuy, etc) takes more than a week to get to Abbotsford....

As for Amazon, their latest wheeze is to change the available delivery option on most Amazon Prime orders to 'Standard Delivery'. That's the same as the free 'we will send it in about a week, maybe' service. What service am I paying for again?
Canada Post is going to kill online ordering in this country. I don't even use amazon anymore since they use Canada Post to my town and 2 day really means 4-5 day, and normal delivery takes up to 10-12 days and this is coming from Richmond.

Delivering mail should not be an issue for a mail delivery company.

Unless it''s something I simply cannot get, no reason to buy online, just leads to more frustration then its worth.

Most recent mail post marked Feb 22 from Toronto, just arrived today.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 4:25 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
So nothing to do with Canadian postage then.
Being that I was in Canada...yes it was.

As I said in the first post "Basically they're all thick".
Old Mar 7th 2015, 6:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Every month I mail an inch thick wad of letters from Sask to BC in an Expresspost envelope for $11 - $12 and it almost always takes 2 days. I mailed it on tuesday aft and it was delivered thursday at noon. Parts of the system work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.