Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

day trips to US from Canada/health insurance?

day trips to US from Canada/health insurance?

Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice
Default day trips to US from Canada/health insurance?

Having acquired my new Canadian passport I have been looking forward to some shopping trips to US by bus. Had a thought though......what about health insurance? Do any of you day trippers take out insurance for the day or just trust to luck? I prefer to take out coverage but if I have to do that each time I go on a US day trip it seems pretty onerous....
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:57 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: day trips to US from Canada/health insurance?

My company health care covers me for vacation locations, including US
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allegra
Having acquired my new Canadian passport I have been looking forward to some shopping trips to US by bus. Had a thought though......what about health insurance? Do any of you day trippers take out insurance for the day or just trust to luck? I prefer to take out coverage but if I have to do that each time I go on a US day trip it seems pretty onerous....
A few years ago a guy who was in the US on a shopping trip...fell and broke his leg...leaving him with a hefty medical bill. This prompted me to ask my daughter...she said she is covered by her company policy. I believe some who don't have a company policy to include travel take out insurance.

A few years ago while visiting Toronto...I had a sudden attack of diverticulitis. I spent a week in St Mike's trauma unit...the cost was approx $40K...it would have been much more than this in the US. A sudden illness such as this or an accident can happen anywhere/anytime...make sure you have the relevant insurance.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

There are many health insurers that provide this day-tripping, or short visit insurance, on an annual basis...I'd check with an insurance broker to find the one best fitting your needs.
Also...check with your bank if it provides travel insurance. HSBC used to give it free...but not for someone my age...I'm now un-insurable...

or you could get a job with magnumpi's company.

Last edited by Davita; Aug 10th 2016 at 4:07 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
There are many health insurers that provide this day-tripping, or short visit insurance, on an annual basis...I'd check with an insurance broker to find the one best fitting your needs.
Also...check with your bank if it provides travel insurance. HSBC used to give it free...but not for someone my age...I'm now un-insurable...

or you could get a job with magnumpi's company.
PM me
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

CAA has decent short term travel insurance, as does BMO. I always used to take it out before I got coverage from my employer ($5 million out of province)

I've used both companies, thankfully have never had to make a claim
Old Aug 10th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't dream of visiting the US for any length of time with taking out medical and travel insurance.

A simple fall, or another driver doing something stupid or even accidentally, could land you in for medical treatment.

I don't know which province you are in, but I know that BC MSP coverage MAY pay up to the amount that a similar treatment would cost in BC, and that would be well below the actual charge.

Some years ago, the mother of a friend fell and broke her leg while visiting another daughter in the US. She was in hospital for about 10 days. Among other things, she was charged $100 US for 1 aspirin tablet. The total bill that the family faced after mother's release and trip home was pretty close to $100,000.

Don't forget, it is even recommended that we should take out health insurance when visiting other provinces in Canada as each province varies in how much coverage is provided for treatments, and will not pay more than it would cost in that province.

We travel every 2 years from BC to Nova Scotia, travelling by train. We checked out the cost of travel insurance in 2014, and made the executive decision that $400 for 2 seniors was more than we wanted to pay, so we took a chance ......... just we have done unknowingly for the last 48 years of travelling in Canada.

We shall check it out again in December, and decide again whether to trust to luck or not.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 9:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allegra
We have annual policies from Pacific Blue Cross. If you are only expecting shorter trips - up to 14 days - you can get $10m (I think) medical insurance anywhere in the world. Last renewal was $64 each. It is more expensive if you have longer trips.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We have annual policies from Pacific Blue Cross. If you are only expecting shorter trips - up to 14 days - you can get $10m (I think) medical insurance anywhere in the world. Last renewal was $64 each. It is more expensive if you have longer trips.
A few years ago had a guest from a south American country visiting, who developed some medical issues who resulted in his needing a catheter. Visited emergency room and registration was hesitant at first because he had no insurance, even though law was he had to be seen. They then asked if he was a veteran , which he was ( in his home country), he showed his military id card and rude receptionist insisted they would send the bill there.( which of course was a waste of time).

The first visit they inserted the catheter. Second visit they refused to take out the catheter because they said only original doctor could recommend that ( an off duty nurse neighbor later removed it). Total cost for two visits, neither lasting over 60 minutes of actual time for nurse and doctor, over $4,000.

Yes travel insurance when visiting the states definitely recommended !

Unless you are illegal alien-in one local hospital system, there is a program for free medical care for illegal aliens.

Crazy system in US.

Last edited by morpeth; Aug 10th 2016 at 9:42 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

When I used to cross the border for just one day I purchased insurance from Blue Cross. It was only around $25 but it gave some piece of mind. This was despite having coverage from my employer. I would never cross into the US without buying health insurance. It's a high risk venture, IMO.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 3:43 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
This was despite having coverage from my employer.
If you already have coverage with your employer and extended benefits, why would you purchase a seperate insurance policy?
Old Aug 11th 2016, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
If you already have coverage with your employer and extended benefits, why would you purchase a seperate insurance policy?
Maybe the Blue Cross coverage offered more benefits while in US, for $25 I would do the same.

Interesting also, that Blue Cross policies in US offered through companies sometimes offer coverage out of the country for emergencies - but for many treatments back in the US. So for example if one was overseas and wanted a treatment for X which cost $2,000 flat fee, but over $22,000 in the US, insurance company wouldn't cover the $2,000 but would cover portion of the $22,0000 ( I know this from a recent situation I observed).
Old Aug 11th 2016, 5:35 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

My work plan covers me, and I presume, as he is listed, my son. However, I didn't get a response from Human Remains in a timely manner (was planning a weekend trip to Buffalo, had a week to go when I asked my question, no reply until two days after I returned. Yes, I did state why I was asking, and the timeframe involved), so I purchased coverage for the both of us ( RBC Travelcare Medical Multi-Trip Annual Plan.) It was $168 all in for a year. Covers us worldwide, up to a max of 16 days per trip

This meant we had cover for our UK trip earlier in the year, plus our frequent trips to Buffalo.

I am going to dip into the work coverage and see exactly what it offers over what the new policy provides.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Insurance for the day it will be.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

NEVER EVER travel without it! My son left Canada for the US last year..... speaking with him on the morning of his departure, I asked if he'd gotten health/medical cover - he thanked me for the reminder and quickly called to arrange it. A week later, he came off a long board in California and sustained several injuries including a broken elbow and a smashed nose and lots of "road rash". After surgery on his arm and week in hospital, the bill came in at $170,000 US (this however, still didn't include the physio required afterward).

Hubby suffered a mini-stroke (no lasting damage) and just one night in hospital while working stateside - bill $18,000 US (plus another $900 for the ambulance).

So yes! Always, always, make sure you have cover!! You just never know what could happen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.