Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Curveball Interview questions

Curveball Interview questions

Old May 14th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curveball Interview questions

Originally Posted by sandylns
In the RAF in the late fifties I was asked, as were lots of others, if I would be interested in a commission as an armaments officer. Being fairly well qualified I was sent to RAF Jurby on the Isle Of Man for assessment and interviews. Things were moving along swimmingly until the final day and the final interview. I was asked what my fathers profession was. My answer didn't go down very well as I replied, " He cleans milk bottles for the local dairy." Needless to say I remained an NCO.
I doubt that your Father's job had anything to do with it, even back then. Whatever he did, at that time, to make a living doesn't alter the fact that his Son was invited to apply to be an armaments officer, obviously because he was "the right sort". You were probably in the usual situation where far more people were invited for interview than were needed....
Old May 14th 2013, 1:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I might have launched into an explanation of Aladdin and some forty thieves.
Had I thought of it, so might I.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandylns
...... My answer didn't go down very well as I replied, " He cleans milk bottles for the local dairy." Needless to say I remained an NCO.
Maybe it would have been different if you'd said he was a "delivery vessel sanitizing executive"? :
Old May 14th 2013, 1:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe it would have been different if you'd said he was a "delivery vessel sanitizing executive"? :
Or a hygiene quality control manager.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:38 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked if I wanted to smoke and was offered a cigarette. I took it as, funnily enough, I did. I was later offered the job but did not take it. This was at Fords in Liverpool back when I was 18.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:57 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Years back at an interview in Toronto, I was asked to estimate how many lightbulbs are sold annually on Canada. The interviewer was looking for the thought process more than the answer. I did some research when I got home. My estimate was actually very close.

A former colleague of mine was asked in an appraisal what he liked the least about his job. "The commute" was not an appropriate answer. He left before we fired him.

The trickiest question I ever got asked was: "what are your views on apartheid?". This was in the London HQ of a company that mined gold in South Africa and it was the mid-80s. I never did find out the correct answer to the question.
Old May 15th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

A former colleague of mine was asked in an appraisal what he liked the least about his job. "The commute" was not an appropriate answer. He left before we fired him.
Eh? The person was being honest (who the hell likes the daily commute??)... why would he have been fired??
Old May 15th 2013, 8:32 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Eh? The person was being honest (who the hell likes the daily commute??)... why would he have been fired??
Yes, it seemed like a reasonable neutral response. It's never a good strategy to slag off a former employer, and it opens up a can of worms if you start complaining about aspects of a former job. I find the expression "a necessary evil" is good to defuse an interviewer's prying on less favourable aspects of a job.

Last edited by Shard; May 15th 2013 at 8:38 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
The response demonstrated the guy's attitude to his job (ie lazy). We'd been wanting rid of him for a while but didn't have anything good enough for a summary dismissal (and his wife is a solicitor). He ended up flouncing one day. We didn't try to stop him.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:12 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The response demonstrated the guy's attitude to his job (ie lazy). We'd been wanting rid of him for a while but didn't have anything good enough for a summary dismissal (and his wife is a solicitor). He ended up flouncing one day. We didn't try to stop him.
Oops, didn't see that it was an appraisal rather than an interview. In that case, a glib answer is inappropriate, but it sounds like his fate was already pre-determined by the powers that be.
Old May 16th 2013, 12:15 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Shard
Oops, didn't see that it was an appraisal rather than an interview. In that case, a glib answer is inappropriate, but it sounds like his fate was already pre-determined by the powers that be.
Inappropriate isn't the word.

My chairman, who conducted the appraisal, described it to me as "f*****g juvenile".
Old May 16th 2013, 1:54 am
me/moi

Inappropriate isn't the word.

My chairman, who conducted the appraisal, described it to me as "f*****g juvenile".
Mr K. Pot
Chairman
Souvy's Company Inc.

Old May 16th 2013, 2:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like there was a lot more context to that question - because to me that sounds like a smart answer: "I love the job, the only thing I don't like is the commute", and that would likely be the answer I'd give if my boss asked me about my job. I don't see how that having an unattractive commute has any bearing on how one does ones job.
Old May 16th 2013, 3:25 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Shard
Mr K. Pot
Chairman
Souvy's Company Inc.

Don't joke about that.

I call him Kim-il *****
Old May 16th 2013, 3:32 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds like there was a lot more context to that question - because to me that sounds like a smart answer: "I love the job, the only thing I don't like is the commute", and that would likely be the answer I'd give if my boss asked me about my job. I don't see how that having an unattractive commute has any bearing on how one does ones job.
Would that his answer were that complete. The bit about hating the commute was all he came up with. He couldn't be arsed to even prepare for his appraisal. He was our marketing manager for a couple of years. He never bothered to try to understand what our product is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.