Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

curry withdrawal advice-(Vancouver)

curry withdrawal advice-(Vancouver)

Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:55 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curry withdrawal advice-(Vancouver)

Originally Posted by Boy d
I went when it first opened after it had some rave reviews and recoginition on the the international stage. To be honest it was so long ago I can't really remember.

I tend to avoid the fancier, over-priced places these days.

There has been a number of casual bisto type places open around gas town that are worth a gander. In fact, if you have not been here in a few years, I think you would be impessed with the turn-around of the area.

Check out, meat and bread, teh diamond, pekinpha, five acres, salt, pour house, etc....
Had lunch today and Meat and Bread. Nice!!!

Salt is a good one for meat, cheese, and the occasional glass of vino.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:01 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Had lunch today and Meat and Bread. Nice!!!

Salt is a good one for meat, cheese, and the occasional glass of vino.
I had a delicious pork sarni there last week, i've tried to get in a few times but it was always packed to the gills...neat place in a neat building. I really like what Gas Town/has is becoming. Pekinpah also does a neat traditional deep south pulled pork sandwich. I tried to order a coffee and the waiter tried to talk me into an accompanying bourbon. http://staceyrobinsmith.com/?p=1661

Greedy Pig is another place that is much the same. Best Reuben in the city hands down....http://thegreedypig.ca/

Another place that I have yet to try is the iconic Save On Meats, next to the acme cafe.

http://scoutmagazine.ca/2011/06/22/t...ay-in-gastown/

I've yet to try Judas Goat. http://www.judasgoat.ca/

I also hear that Calabasha for island type food is good at the old Penn Hotel on Carrell Street. http://calabashbistro.com/

I think in a few more years, gas town and the east side will be the soul of vancouver, in fact it may already be.

Last edited by Boy d; Jul 21st 2011 at 1:14 am.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:09 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Aren't you making an assumption that a restaurant has to serve western food to be "world class?"

As I have said before, some of the Chinese restaurants in Vancouver/Richmond are considered amongst the best in the world. Zen Fine Chinese Cuisine or Sun Sui Wah for example.
no, there's only Swiss Chalet. Didn't you know
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Aren't you making an assumption that a restaurant has to serve western food to be "world class?"
I'm not. Best city in the world that I've been in for food (any cuisine, not just local) is Bangkok. Vancouver is a long long way behind - even for chinese food. That's why I don't consider Vancouver world class - even if it punches above it's weight for it's size.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Lumiere in Vancouver when Rob Feenie was there was rather good.

And of course, as discussed previously, there is Vijs.....

Anything world class?
I bought the book and they are really good,. I make his "family curry" all the time for ten to twenty people.

http://www.vijs.ca/