Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

CSA help & questions please, friends husband moved to Canada from the UK & stopped.

CSA help & questions please, friends husband moved to Canada from the UK & stopped.

Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

moonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the rough
Default CSA help & questions please, friends husband moved to Canada from the UK & stopped.

My friend's husband a GP, emigrated to Canada from the UK 3 years ago. From the moment he left, he stopped court enforced payments of child support. Will my friend be able to enforce these payments from the UK?
Any answers to these questions would be great positive or negative.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CSA help & questions please, friends husband moved to Canada from the UK & stoppe

Yes he can be chased for payments! I live in Canada and my ex husband stopped his child support payments last April when I left the UK. I have now applied for child support via the Interjurisdictional Support Orders (ISO) Act. Through this, I can apply for child support at my local court here in Alberta and this then gets sent onto the court in the UK and is enforced as if I am still living in the UK. This can work the other way too from the UK. In the UK, the parent who the child lives with can apply through the REMO (Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders), this is the UK's version of the ISO but it generally works the same.

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/case/remo.asp

Also, just to make you aware, the whole procedure can take up to 1 year to complete however my ex will be stung for back payments from the month he stopped paying for his son so I hope the father has been putting some money aside.

HTH
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

moonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CSA help & questions please, friends husband moved to Canada from the UK & stoppe

Brilliant, I'll let my friend know tomorrow! He left 3 years ago and stopped paying the moment he left. Now all we have to do is find him which hopefully shouldn't be to hard as he's a GP and she knows which area he moved to. Hopefully there'll be some sort of register, she had no idea until today that she might be able to pursue him in Canada! Three to four years backdated child maintenance payments would help her so much. Pity it takes so long, does his non payment have any implications on his immigration status?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 12:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

There are ways a guy can wiggle out of paying child support - my ex hasn't paid a penny for 15 years and CSA just dropped the case without telling me:curse:
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonpig
Brilliant, I'll let my friend know tomorrow! He left 3 years ago and stopped paying the moment he left. Now all we have to do is find him which hopefully shouldn't be to hard as he's a GP and she knows which area he moved to. Hopefully there'll be some sort of register, she had no idea until today that she might be able to pursue him in Canada! Three to four years backdated child maintenance payments would help her so much. Pity it takes so long, does his non payment have any implications on his immigration status?
Hope she is successful at finding him. Its a disgrace when the absent parent stops supporting their child. I don't have any idea I'm afraid on whether his non payment would have any implications.....I'm thinking not though if he is still here after 3 years.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
There are ways a guy can wiggle out of paying child support - my ex hasn't paid a penny for 15 years and CSA just dropped the case without telling me:curse:
Yeah agreed Piff, some parents do get out of paying....my poor ex is not that lucky though, he is in the Royal Navy so no ducking and diving for him!!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread deserves some balance.

Cue a Dad who got stitched up by the Courts and his ex in....5....4.....3.....2......
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:09 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
This thread deserves some balance.

Cue a Dad who got stitched up by the Courts and his ex in....5....4.....3.....2......
My husband????
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moonpig
She should be able to look up where he works online.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

My husband????
I think Geo means himself Piff although I don't personally think this thread is unbalanced.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by farjojo71
I think Geo means himself Piff although I don't personally think this thread is unbalanced.
Oh possibly. I personally think that for every one parent that doesn't pay (enough) there is one that pays too much - or so it seems in my experience
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh possibly. I personally think that for every one parent that doesn't pay (enough) there is one that pays too much - or so it seems in my experience
Very true. I just hope that Geo doesn't think that this thread has drifted into a 'father' bashing....far from it. This is only about a father who is not providing for his child/ren at all.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:55 pm

I don't think there has been any father bashing, I am sure there are mothers out there not paying their way too.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting thread. I had to get a solicitor involved to get permission to take my 12 yr old to live in Canada. One of my bargaining tools was that I wouldn't ask for any further maintenance payments from my ex to which my solicitor replied that I wouldn't be able to enforce it once in Canada anyway??!!!
She might have done me out of a lot of money then!!!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DandNHill
This is an interesting thread. I had to get a solicitor involved to get permission to take my 12 yr old to live in Canada. One of my bargaining tools was that I wouldn't ask for any further maintenance payments from my ex to which my solicitor replied that I wouldn't be able to enforce it once in Canada anyway??!!!
She might have done me out of a lot of money then!!!!!!
As far as I am aware, any arrangements made via the CSA is not enforceable once one of the parties leaves the country, hence what this Act is all about. Check out http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/familylaw/iso/iso.htm. this only applies to Alberta but I know the other provinces have a similar set up (apart from Quebec)
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:21 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there has been any father bashing, I am sure there are mothers out there not paying their way too.
Yep, we have one of those, she is only supposed to pay 40GBP for three kids a month, not one penny in three years.. Hey ho hum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.