Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Crowfoot YMCA- just had shoes stolen

Crowfoot YMCA- just had shoes stolen

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crowfoot YMCA- just had shoes stolen

Fairly annoyed, left them for 5 minutes under a bench whilst I went to pick my child up from swim lessons.

The volunteer said it was the third shoe stealing incident recently that has happened on her shift.

Y were useless, assistant manager wouldn't even log it. REally feel there should be posters up- all the mums just leave shoes under benches whislt they pick their kids up from lessons.

Luckily some kind lady gave me an old pair of flip flops so I could get home.

Very annoying.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crowfoot YMCA- just had shoes stolen

Originally Posted by gryphea
Fairly annoyed, left them for 5 minutes under a bench whilst I went to pick my child up from swim lessons.

The volunteer said it was the third shoe stealing incident recently that has happened on her shift.

Y were useless, assistant manager wouldn't even log it. REally feel there should be posters up- all the mums just leave shoes under benches whislt they pick their kids up from lessons.

Very annoying.
What do you really expect the Y to do?

Them's the dangers of living in the NW
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What do you really expect the Y to do?

Them's the dangers of living in the NW
I really expect the Y to log it, eg keep a record and if there is a pattern (which there does seem to be) put posters up.

The thief had the audacity to remove my smelly socks and leave those behind!

Kind of knew this might illicit a NW is hot bed of crime remark from those in the deep deep south.

Its really annoying they wre salamon goretex outdoor trainers and I need them in about 1/2 hr as we go away.

Gryph
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I really expect the Y to log it, eg keep a record and if there is a pattern (which there does seem to be) put posters up.

The thief had the audacity to remove my smelly socks and leave those behind!

Kind of knew this might illicit a NW is hot bed of crime remark from those in the deep deep south.

Its really annoying they wre salamon goretex outdoor trainers and I need them in about 1/2 hr as we go away.

Gryph

The deep, deep south - I haven't moved to Georgia

The NW thingy was not intended to be serious at all.

I have become way more complacent than I ever was in England and I am sure that something similar will happen to me at some point but......

would you have left such things unattended in England? Calgary is a big place and, whilst it appears friendly, thieves exist everwhere
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:25 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats sole destroying. I hope they get laced.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

FraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant futureFraggleJH has a brilliant future

Very annoying.
You'd have thought that if you were the 3rd incident they might actually warn people. I'd have said 'OK, so if you don't think its a problem, give me your shoes!' Can't see that they would have been too thrilled to have theirs taken.

What a total pain. Suppose the only positive is that you didn't have to walk home!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FraggleJH
You'd have thought that if you were the 3rd incident they might actually warn people. I'd have said 'OK, so if you don't think its a problem, give me your shoes!' Can't see that they would have been too thrilled to have theirs taken.
Talk about not wanting to take responsibility for one's own acts or omissions. Maybe I am being a little harsh here but...

Someone leaves expensive shoes in a place open to the general public and unattended and is then surprised when someone walks away with them. I don't care how many incidents there had been, it's common sense innit
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Talk about not wanting to take responsibility for one's own acts or omissions. Maybe I am being a little harsh here but...

Someone leaves expensive shoes in a place open to the general public and unattended and is then surprised when someone walks away with them. I don't care how many incidents there had been, it's common sense innit
Clearly

I have no common sense - but then nor to all the other mums at the Y. My OH says all the men leave theirs too for kids swim lessons- its only for 5 mins to walk to pool and back. I don't expect them to by sympathetic- after all I did leave them unattended, BUT I do expect them to log an incident and warn people. Its not like they were new either- at least 3 or 4 years old. I can't see what is so diffcult about keeping a log and putting up a poster- after all they put up tons of others!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The deep, deep south - I haven't moved to Georgia

The NW thingy was not intended to be serious at all.

I have become way more complacent than I ever was in England and I am sure that something similar will happen to me at some point but......

would you have left such things unattended in England? Calgary is a big place and, whilst it appears friendly, thieves exist everwhere
You are right- I probably wouldn't have left them unattended in UK, but then we aren't in UK.

Still have clearly got too complacent and have leart lesson. Its just annoying and disheartening.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly

I have no common sense - but then nor to all the other mums at the Y. My OH says all the men leave theirs too for kids swim lessons- its only for 5 mins to walk to pool and back. I don't expect them to by sympathetic- after all I did leave them unattended, BUT I do expect them to log an incident and warn people. Its not like they were new either- at least 3 or 4 years old. I can't see what is so diffcult about keeping a log and putting up a poster- after all they put up tons of others!
I do apologise - if they were that important to me, I wouldn't have left them unattended. Thieves are everywhere, even in the deep, deep south.

Just out of curiosity, do they have posters telling parents not to leave toddlers that can't swim in the pool unattended
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Stop winding her up AC !

Gryph - I empathise and sympathise with your feet and I'd be mighty pissed off too - and yes,, it's exactly the kind of thing we all do - I can definitely say I've become more carefree about exactly this kind of thing, and there is no reason that I should really !

Canada will be just like the UK in 10 years. Maybe our hotbed of crime in the north western areas will get there in 6 years

Anyway, where are you off to tonight (she asked nosily)? Another fab ski-weekend?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 4:55 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I've had shoes stolen here in Calgary.

I was somewhat shocked though, as they were taken from a "secure" staff locker room in a hospital, accessible by combination lock, although my shoes were on an open shelf below the coat hanging rail, not actually IN a locker. I'd left them there overnight.

I was also somewhat bemused as they were trainers that my son had worn at school, and I inherited after he grew out of them, so they were already second-hand and several years old and were not expensive in the first place!

I did report the theft, more out of indignation than any real sense of loss, and I reckoned the thief probably needed them more than I did!!

The only real inconvenience was that I had to wear my snow-boots all day at work, which looked pretty silly, and my feet got rather hot!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ann m

Anyway, where are you off to tonight (she asked nosily)? Another fab ski-weekend?
Yup

Work gave us all (all staff at time)
$400 hotel vouchers last OCtober to be used by end of April. The vouchers were for a limited no of hotels and we used them at Lake Louise Inn

It was hot!!! C now realises he misses out on terrain parks when we go RCR!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I've had shoes stolen here in Calgary.

I was somewhat shocked though, as they were taken from a "secure" staff locker room in a hospital, accessible by combination lock, although my shoes were on an open shelf below the coat hanging rail, not actually IN a locker. I'd left them there overnight.

I was also somewhat bemused as they were trainers that my son had worn at school, and I inherited after he grew out of them, so they were already second-hand and several years old and were not expensive in the first place!

I did report the theft, more out of indignation than any real sense of loss, and I reckoned the thief probably needed them more than I did!!

The only real inconvenience was that I had to wear my snow-boots all day at work, which looked pretty silly, and my feet got rather hot!
How annoying. Just like my trainers 3-4 yrs old and worn 5 days a week, 9 months a year outside since we got here.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:42 am
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

I have sent a PM to gryphea. I work for the Y in Calgary, for my sins, and lets hope we can work this out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.