Cronyism

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 5:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cronyism

Something that's been mentioned often but I don't think there's ever been a thread on it.

I know in my time in NB that after every election someone who had something to do with the winner - campaign manager or whatever - would be appointed CEO or whatever title of the liquor board or the power company.

Big story on CBC today which I heard on the radio, about "family, friends, neighbour (of senior Federal minister) win 5 of 6 recent judicial appointments" including three lawyers who helped retire debts from his unsuccessful 2008 leadership bid. All contributors to party funds.

A guy interviewed referenced some research that showed nationally one in four such appointments had this kind of connection but that in NB it was three in four.

How goes it in your province?
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 6:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cronyism

It's rife in Ontario. Doug Ford tried to shoehorn his best buddy into a role as commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police earlier this year, despite the fact that he did not meet the published criteria for the role (he was a rank below the minimum necessary level of Staff Superintendent, among other failings). Ron Taverner eventually asked that his application be withdrawn in the interests of the independence of the OPP - for which he didn't get nearly enough media credit, IMO. And Ford earlier was in somewhat warm water for appointing a bunch of his buddies to the boards of various provincial agencies and crown corporations, including notoriously Hydro One, whose CEO and entire Board resigned en masse when the provincial government got involved in CEO compensation discussions.

He has been seen to be paying lip-service to the principle of fair play, though - especially when it comes to other people's cronies. He ordered a provincial enquiry (and more mass resignations) when it became clear that several relatives and close associates of his Chief of Staff had recently been appointed to several roles in the gift of the Province. I'm not sure anybody beyond his most blinkered and die-hard supporters believe this is anything other than a cynical PR exercise.

Not that this is new to the Ford government, of course. The last lot (and presumably the one before that, and the one before that, et sequentia ad nauseam) were guilty of pretty much the same thing.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 7:39 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Something that's been mentioned often but I don't think there's ever been a thread on it.

I know in my time in NB that after every election someone who had something to do with the winner - campaign manager or whatever - would be appointed CEO or whatever title of the liquor board or the power company.

Big story on CBC today which I heard on the radio, about "family, friends, neighbour (of senior Federal minister) win 5 of 6 recent judicial appointments" including three lawyers who helped retire debts from his unsuccessful 2008 leadership bid. All contributors to party funds.

A guy interviewed referenced some research that showed nationally one in four such appointments had this kind of connection but that in NB it was three in four.

How goes it in your province?
There was a thread here a little while where someone discussed at length cronyism in NB. Leblanc had the same ministerial portfolio (Fisheries and Oceans) as his father Romeo Leblanc did under Trudeau Sr.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

When we first came to Canada, both NB and NS were well known for a change in provincial government meaning that everyone appointed by the previous party and members in power lost their jobs, and a whole new crop of appointments made, all with allegiances and contacts with the new party.

That covered almost everyone from road pavers to civil servants.

The ones who lost their jobs immediately went on unemployment and then welfare!

It also happened here, but to me the most notorious for BC, though little mentioned, was a previous Premier, Gordon Campbell. He won an election mainly based on a platform that said they would never institute HST. 6 weeks after winning, he did just that. The furor eventually led to him having to step down, leading to Christy Clark winning the leadership race.

Campbell's next job was appointment by Stephen Harper to be the High Commissioner in London ...... a lovely plum job for trying to help Harper get HST in every province.

That's an interesting political connection ..... Campbell led the BC Liberals, which is actually a coalition of people who belong to either the federal Liberals or federal Conservatives .......... Campbell seemingly belonged to the Federal Tories.

Canada is not alone ....... the US has cronyism, and so does the UK, European countries, etc etc. Little backroom chats before and after an election, to help get support.

There are numerous examples in British elections for Party leader for agreements to be made with one candidate agreeing to withdraw and support someone else. Next news is that he has a major position in Cabinet if the one he supported wins.

Canada is way way behind the US, both federally and provincially. They may even be well behind the UK

It's one of those things that happens ............. "you help me, and I'll help you".
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the way of politics, those high level supporters are not doing it for fun, they expect something in return for their support.

Old Jul 2nd 2019, 9:59 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

NB ought to get the bronze, silver and gold for this...yes I know it happens everywhere but here it comes with knobs on. My son applied for a number of scholarships that were ‘available’ for uni, every single one of them went to: the soccer coach’s son, the ice hockey team ex coach’s son, the grandaughter of ‘him’ or ‘her’ - all the ‘known’ families. He’s lost his weekend job till after summer (which is fine) because a family member will be back from uni and wants to do it instead of him.

It’s just so very blatant. I could accept it better I think if they attempted to cover it up. They need newcomers here desperately, because otherwise there won’t be anyone left, but when they do come they won’t be included. It’s just the same for other Canadians too they never ‘fit in’, my neighbor married a girl from Fredericton 17 years ago and says that he’s never been welcomed as he’s from ‘away’. Very friendly on the surface, but jobs and future’s will be reserved for the NB gene pool.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 10:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's the way of politics, those high level supporters are not doing it for fun, they expect something in return for their support.
Aye but a long wait from 2008.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 10:49 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Such things happen and are never stigmatised because the outcomes of these provincial games of musical chairs tend to be inconsequential. Those in the best position to object are simply waiting their turn when they can step in to do the same.
Who cares if the man in charge is someone's son and who cares that he doesn't know what he's doing, he doesn't do anything useful anyway, he simply gets in the way most of the time.
It's only when his dad or FIL is POTUS that the s**t hits the fan.
That's when we learn to 'duck and cover' and 'ducking and covering', as we all know, does nothing at all.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 4:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Aye but a long wait from 2008.
Better late than never....ha ha