Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

crime does not pay. really?

crime does not pay. really?

Old Mar 21st 2014, 7:32 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: crime does not pay. really?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I think its more or less a waste of money to put these white collar criminals in prison, prison should be used to house those who are dangerous to the public at large.

In these cases fines, lots of community service, and probation seems to be a better use of resources.
I agree with that. Although I suppose the risk is that they are so adept in their duplicitous ways that they will fleece members of the community again.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:40 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I agree with that. Although I suppose the risk is that they are so adept in their duplicitous ways that they will fleece members of the community again.
You'd think it would be possible to make restrictions barring them from any commerce that would give them opportunity, but it seems more complex in individual cases. In the early 80's Nelson Skalbania in Vancouver bilked a lot of people out of megabucks and they actually had to ante up a million or more (I'm not looking it up) for him to re-invest because that was the only hope they had of getting him to make them their money back. In '83 I rode my bike past his place on Marine Dr and I recall thinking a million probably wouldn't pay the taxes on it.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-26680664

A woman who threw acid in the face of a friend while wearing a veil as a disguise has been jailed for 12 years.

And how long will it be before she is walking the streets again?

Last edited by montreal mike; Mar 21st 2014 at 3:26 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 4:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-26680664

A woman who threw acid in the face of a friend while wearing a veil as a disguise has been jailed for 12 years.

And how long will it be before she is walking the streets again?
A very sad situation. A lose-lose for both parties, the convicted woman will never forget her moment of bitterness, and of course the victim has been denied her best life.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

from what i can gather white collar criminals are treated with kid gloves

whereas violent offenders are punished more severely

in both cases the sentences seem to be shortened when these people become good little boys and girls, once inside the clink

plus it helps to display 'genuine' remorse when in front of a judge
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:33 am
Yo

Originally Posted by montreal mike
from what i can gather white collar criminals are treated with kid gloves

whereas violent offenders are punished more severely

in both cases the sentences seem to be shortened when these people become good little boys and girls, once inside the clink

plus it helps to display 'genuine' remorse when in front of a judge
Well white collar crimes is only a crime of money. There is also the argument that the victims should bear some responsibility for being duped. Violent crime is a different matter.

This guy getting ten years for infomercials. Crazy.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ears-swindling

Last edited by Shard; Mar 22nd 2014 at 7:57 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Well white collar crimes is only a crime of money. There is also the argument that the victims should bear some responsibility for being duped. Violent crime is a different matter.

This guy getting ten years for infomercials. Crazy.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ears-swindling
Yes it is, but he did have multiple chances over the years to clean his act up...

If I recall correctly he is in the federal system as well, so will likely serve pretty much the entire 10 years, he would have been better off in the state system somewhere, better chance of early release.

Long prison sentences don't seem to do much of anything, nor deter criminals since criminals never seem to think they will ever get caught, and don't tend to think of the consequences before they commit a crime.

Unless a violent crime or a high threat to society, we need to reform and make these people more useful to society, even just working a few years picking crops on a farm would be better then having them sit in a prison for years not contributing to much of anything.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:28 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes it is, but he did have multiple chances over the years to clean his act up...

If I recall correctly he is in the federal system as well, so will likely serve pretty much the entire 10 years, he would have been better off in the state system somewhere, better chance of early release.

Long prison sentences don't seem to do much of anything, nor deter criminals since criminals never seem to think they will ever get caught, and don't tend to think of the consequences before they commit a crime.

Unless a violent crime or a high threat to society, we need to reform and make these people more useful to society, even just working a few years picking crops on a farm would be better then having them sit in a prison for years not contributing to much of anything.
Maybe they can just wear a special irremovable collar saying: Beware: I am a crook and be allowed to get on with his life.