British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cricket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cricket-827097/)

Oink Aug 17th 2017 11:18 pm

Re: Cricket

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12319168)
Well that was er...pretty predictable.

Stoneman & Westley miss out, Root & Cook cash in. Windies looking like they don't want to be there.

All a bit underwhelming really.

Extremely dull.

Gordon Barlow Aug 18th 2017 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12319168)
Well that was er...pretty predictable.
Stoneman & Westley miss out, Root & Cook cash in. Windies looking like they don't want to be there.
All a bit underwhelming really.

Because of the shambles that the WI cricket administrators have made of our local game, the tourists are actually the WI 'A' Team, and should be playing England 'A'. Even then...
Currently, I'm watching the Caribbean Professional League 20-20 games, which are much more fun!

Hawkmoon77 Aug 18th 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12319289)
Because of the shambles that the WI cricket administrators have made of our local game, the tourists are actually the WI 'A' Team, and should be playing England 'A'. Even then...
Currently, I'm watching the Caribbean Professional League 20-20 games, which are much more fun!

I remember the great Windies team of the 1980s.

So sad to see what has happened since.

Gordon Barlow Aug 20th 2017 1:36 am

Did I say the WI touring team should be playing the England 'A'? I meant the Somerset Seconds.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 20th 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12319668)
I remember the great Windies team of the 1980s.

I remember the WI of the '60s, as a small boy, watching Charlie Griffith's, Wes Hall and actually meeting (briefly) Gary Sobers.

Gordon Barlow Aug 20th 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12320750)
I remember the WI of the '60s, as a small boy, watching Charlie Griffith's, Wes Hall and actually meeting (briefly) Gary Sobers.

One of my enduring memories is of the last over of the Tied Test in 1960, in Brisbane. I breezed into a friend's house after work, to find the whole family around the TV set, riveted. Wikipedia has a ball-by-ball description of the over, if you want to look it up.

Years later, I faced an over of Wes Hall, in a park in Miami. By that time he was bald and a bit heavy, and relatively slow; but as he ran in all I could see was a gold necklace bouncing up and down, and him roaring down the way he used to do. I was scared witless, and never managed to put a bat on ball.

Charlie Griffith toured with a scratch Cayman team that toured the villages of southern England in 1981. By then, he too was much slower than he used to be, but I was very glad to be on the same side as him!

Hawkmoon77 Aug 21st 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12320834)
One of my enduring memories is of the last over of the Tied Test in 1960, in Brisbane. I breezed into a friend's house after work, to find the whole family around the TV set, riveted. Wikipedia has a ball-by-ball description of the over, if you want to look it up.

Years later, I faced an over of Wes Hall, in a park in Miami. By that time he was bald and a bit heavy, and relatively slow; but as he ran in all I could see was a gold necklace bouncing up and down, and him roaring down the way he used to do. I was scared witless, and never managed to put a bat on ball.

Charlie Griffith toured with a scratch Cayman team that toured the villages of southern England in 1981. By then, he too was much slower than he used to be, but I was very glad to be on the same side as him!

Wonderful memories and thanks for sharing.

I remember seeing Big Bird bowling at Lords early 90s (vs Transvaal as a welcome back match). He was frightening then, aged in his 40s....

Bob Aug 29th 2017 8:49 pm

Stunning photos show 'Maasai Cricket Warriors' | Daily Mail Online

For those interested...thought this was rather cool myself.

Gordon Barlow Aug 29th 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12327120)
Stunning photos show 'Maasai Cricket Warriors' | Daily Mail Online
For those interested...thought this was rather cool myself.

That's a great link, Bob - deserving of a re-post to my thread in the Locker Room section of "General", titled "Amateur Cricket around the world". Would you mind doing it? The mods give me a hard time if I post too much to my own threads. Thanks.

Oink Sep 7th 2017 5:14 pm

Anyone watching this? Windies on fire, England in a tailspin.

Edited to note, bad light saves the day. Let's hope the sun comes out tomorrow morning.

Hawkmoon77 Sep 7th 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12333397)
Anyone watching this? Windies on fire, England in a tailspin.

Edited to note, bad light saves the day. Let's hope the sun comes out tomorrow morning.

....then Stokes can complete his Botham impressions.:thumbup:

Hawkmoon77 Sep 8th 2017 3:38 pm

Well this is good old fashioned tail end slogging. Terrific stuff.
:rofl:

Hawkmoon77 Sep 8th 2017 4:22 pm

JIMMY!

500 - well done lad

FS Trueman when asked if his (then record) 307 test wickets would ever be broken. He quipped: "Aye, but whoever does it will be bloody tired"

Oink Sep 8th 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12334209)
JIMMY!

500 - well done lad

FS Trueman when asked if his (then record) 307 test wickets would ever be broken. He quipped: "Aye, but whoever does it will be bloody tired"

Yes quite an achievement for a pace bowler

Novocastrian Sep 8th 2017 8:21 pm

I've got tickets for the IT20 at Chester-le-Street next Saturday. A mate of mine from Kent is coming up to join me. F***ing outrageous that Ben Stokes is being "rested".