Cricket

Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cricket

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
A draw, you say? I don't think there's much chance of anything else, now.

Does SA's declaration, two runs short of England's hefty first-innings score, diminish the impact of Ben Stokes' runfest on day 2? With England being put in to bat 20 minutes before the close on day 4, and with a nominal 2-run lead at the changeover, I suppose it's possible that anything might happen on the last day. But only 15 wickets have been taken altogether in the first four days, so I somehow don't think it's likely. Unless Cook has a rush of blood to the head and declares just before tea tomorrow with a reachable but ambitious total for SA to chase in the last session-and-a-bit.
Blatantly plagiarized from the Graun's OBO....

“I think England have missed a trick here. Stokes should have opened, made 1,010 not out before lunch tomorrow, thus giving Broad and Anderson ample time to take 10 wickets.”

Old Jan 5th 2016, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm *so* looking forward to England bowling at this fella in a few years time...

India teen Pranav Dhanawade's record-breaking innings in pictures - BBC News

(love those bowling figures 6-0-142-0)
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:28 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Cricket

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Christ that's worse than me!
Old Jan 5th 2016, 8:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm *so* looking forward to England bowling at this fella in a few years time...

India teen Pranav Dhanawade's record-breaking innings in pictures - BBC News

I saw that on the BBC earlier. Poor old Tejas Misar - how the hell do you get hit for nearly 24 an over through six overs? Mind you, his colleagues didn't fare much better - only the two opening bowlers had an economy rate under 15 per over (at 14.2 and 13.7 respectively, hardly much to write home about).
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that on the BBC earlier. Poor old Tejas Misar - how the hell do you get hit for nearly 24 an over through six overs? Mind you, his colleagues didn't fare much better - only the two opening bowlers had an economy rate under 15 per over (at 14.2 and 13.7 respectively, hardly much to write home about).
I think poor Tejas, with his 14 years of life experience, might have been a bit unlucky.

I'm reminded of the first competitive game of basketball my then 8 year old
elder son played for the U-14 team in Heidesheim (a village in Germany).

The score was 99-1 against because the other team had an American ringer from the Army base nearby, who was 13, over 6 feet tall and, well, extremely talented.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think poor Tejas, with his 14 years of life experience, might have been a bit unlucky.

I'm reminded of the first competitive game of basketball my then 8 year old
elder son played for the U-14 team in Heidesheim (a village in Germany).

The score was 99-1 against because the other team had an American ringer from the Army base nearby, who was 13, over 6 feet tall and, well, extremely talented.
I remember a story about the late, great FS Trueman. A local CC had a U15 team who needed practice, so they arranged a match against FST's school. FST's school was bowled out for 15 or so. Hahaha. Until FST took 8 or so wickets to help bowl the club out for 11.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:20 pm
Born again atheist

I remember a story about the late, great FS Trueman. A local CC had a U15 team who needed practice, so they arranged a match against FST's school. FST's school was bowled out for 15 or so. Hahaha. Until FST took 8 or so wickets to help bowl the club out for 11.
Yes, something like that. They're just kids learning to play at that age.

In football games in many countries (including parts of Canada) they don't even keep score for the youngest ones.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

well, yes. I hadn't read the full report (the Grauniad has a rather good writeup) so didn't appreciate that it was effectively an U16 team playing against U14 opposition. Quite why the coach of the fielding side didn't forfeit the game when they were 500-or-so in deficit is rather curious. I mean, there's character-forming and then there's complete pisstake.

Fair play to the batsman though - he played himself in then swung the bat at junior bowlers on a small pitch and made a shedload: in any circumstances it's a hell of a feat of concentration to stand at the crease for that long at that age. But it was hardly a fair competition.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:41 pm
Born again atheist

well, yes. I hadn't read the full report (the Grauniad has a rather good writeup) so didn't appreciate that it was effectively an U16 team playing against U14 opposition. Quite why the coach of the fielding side didn't forfeit the game when they were 500-or-so in deficit is rather curious. I mean, there's character-forming and then there's complete pisstake.

Fair play to the batsman though - he played himself in then swung the bat at junior bowlers on a small pitch and made a shedload: in any circumstances it's a hell of a feat of concentration to stand at the crease for that long at that age. But it was hardly a fair competition.
I'm not knocking the achievement of the batsman. As the Graun article points out the previous record innings was accrued in similar circumstances in 1899.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Yes, something like that. They're just kids learning to play at that age.

In football games in many countries (including parts of Canada) they don't even keep score for the youngest ones.
The leagues might not, but sure as eggs is eggs, the players do (although any two of them rarely agree what that score actually is at any point beyond about 1-0).

Under the Ontario Soccer Association's guidelines, the house league in my local club starts publishing results and league tables at U13 level. My son's team, in that age group, was on the wrong end of some embarrassingly heavy defeats last season, but managed to maintain a reasonable tactical discipline, not to mention cameraderie and enjoyment, through their descent to the bottom of the table. And the sense of achievement in securing a draw in a return match against one of the much stronger sides was worth the heartache of the previous encounter's 13-2 defeat...
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:51 pm
Born again atheist

The leagues might not, but sure as eggs is eggs, the players do (although any two of them rarely agree what that score actually is at any point beyond about 1-0).

Under the Ontario Soccer Association's guidelines, the house league in my local club starts publishing results and league tables at U13 level. My son's team, in that age group, was on the wrong end of some embarrassingly heavy defeats last season, but managed to maintain a reasonable tactical discipline, not to mention cameraderie and enjoyment, through their descent to the bottom of the table. And the sense of achievement in securing a draw in a return match against one of the much stronger sides was worth the heartache of the previous encounter's 13-2 defeat...
Well the best of luck to your sprog. No doubt Oakville's answer to Lionel Messi (or more relevantly, Ben Stokes).
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

I'm not knocking the achievement of the batsman. As the Graun article points out the previous record innings was accrued in similar circumstances in 1899.
Oh, neither am I, at least not intentionally. I hope the record stands as valid and he occupies his corner of Wisden for many years to come! I did like the turn of phrase the Graun piece used when talking about the bowling figures:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
Tejas Missar six overs, none for 142 – figures which, without wishing to be cruel, do rather make you wonder what the skipper was thinking when he decided Missar had a sixth over in him.
Collins' innings was all the more poignant in retrospect, of course, because so many of the players in that Clifton College house match were subsequently killed in WWI, including Collins himself. One sincerely hopes that young Dhanawade lives to enjoy the magnitude of his achievement for a long and happy lifetime.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

Oh, neither am I, at least not intentionally. I hope the record stands as valid and he occupies his corner of Wisden for many years to come! I did like the turn of phrase the Graun piece used when talking about the bowling figures:

Collins' innings was all the more poignant in retrospect, of course, because so many of the players in that Clifton College house match were subsequently killed in WWI, including Collins himself. One sincerely hopes that young Dhanawade lives to enjoy the magnitude of his achievement for many, many years to come.
Of course I echo that thought.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 11:07 am
Born again atheist

I suppose you lot on EST are just brewing the coffee right now.

DO NOT CHECK THE SCORECARD, IT'LL RUIN YOUR BREAKFAST.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 2:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you lot on EST are just brewing the coffee right now.

DO NOT CHECK THE SCORECARD, IT'LL RUIN YOUR BREAKFAST.
A draw in Cape Town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.