Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The country we left behind

The country we left behind

Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The country we left behind

Originally Posted by macadian
.......and singing lustily continuous choreses of " the red flag" no doubt....😎😎
Let cowards flinch, mate, let traitors sneer.

Old Apr 17th 2019, 7:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Let cowards flinch, mate, let traitors sneer.

Old May 28th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

This series of tweets is top on the UK reddit right now:
Barbara Muldoon: I was an immigration lawyer during the entire time Theresa May was Home Secretary. Here are a random selection of tears:-
Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...ration_lawyer/

Unbelievably awful how UK immigrants have been treated over the past few years. Makes me thankful for the Canadian immigration system - it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better and fairer than this.

One of the stories in the reddit comments ended up with them going to Canada
In the end, we both left the UK when my visa expired. The migration rules to Canada (where I am from originally) meant that my husband could come with us and then I could sponsor him from within the country. No requirement for having a job, no requirement for a certain amount of money (except the money to pay for the application.)

It's incredible to me, that the UK didn't want a software developer and an architect. We could have contributed greatly to the country, and would have happily stayed, but in the end the Tories made it clear that our family was not wanted.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; May 28th 2019 at 8:33 pm.
Old May 28th 2019, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Barbara Muldoon: I was an immigration lawyer during the entire time Theresa May was Home Secretary.
That reminds me of a blog I once read about the 'go home' vans.
I never much cared for her when she was home secretary, sending a fleet of vans around London telling immigrants to “**** off back to where you came from” (I think those were the words, but even if they weren’t that’s what she meant)

Old May 29th 2019, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Barbara Muldoon: I was an immigration lawyer during the entire time Theresa May was Home Secretary. Here are a random selection of tears:-
Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...ration_lawyer/

Unbelievably awful how UK immigrants have been treated over the past few years. Makes me thankful for the Canadian immigration system - it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better and fairer than this.

One of the stories in the reddit comments ended up with them going to Canada
Does Canada allow those whose visas have expired to remain?
Old May 29th 2019, 2:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Does Canada allow those whose visas have expired to remain?
Of course it doesn't. It has cancelled people's PR status following a criminal conviction in the past as well.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 10:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

NHS to open its first ever clinic for children was the headline I saw today.

Eh? Surely there have been others?

For gambling addiction.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 4:10 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
NHS to open its first ever clinic for children was the headline I saw today.
Eh? Surely there have been others?(
Plus ca change...
My sister died young. For much of that time in the early fifties she was treated in a hospital in Sydenham, SE London.
I passed it every day on my way to school.
It pronounced it's existence with large gold letters as a 'Childrens Hospital' an NHS property.
I was also treated there as an out patient.
It was closed later.