Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The country we left behind

The country we left behind

Old Dec 20th 2017, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The country we left behind

Originally Posted by sandra262
Right you are. We constantly improve our skills, earn money and tend to have better life. And if there is any chance to live on the coast somewhere in Spain, I prefer it without hesitation! Actually I`ve already purchased a villa in Athens here <<<SNIP>>>and plan to give my kids better opportunities and higher level of life.
I trust you learned them Spanish, so as to be ready for Athens.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If wages are " a function of productivity" why do UK MPs get £70,000+ per annum ?
Hah good question- however government follows different rules than the private sector. Their measurement of productivity seems to be how to mislead the voters, better they are, the more they all make in the long run ! Their objectives are just different.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Britain is now looking to encourage technical education (T-levels I believe they are calling it) in an attempt to catch up with German productivity. Will it happen? Who knows, far too much class consciousness prevails in modern Britain to let a good idea like this gain traction.

In general education does correlate with earnings, and often it's not down to the knowledge, but the social skills and networks that people young people are able to establish in their younger years.

As to entrepreneurial mindset, it does exist, although as Rich pointed out, individuals without a natural entrepreneurial bent can acquire many of the skills and some of the drive through hard work.

Any luck on your own re-employment, it can't be easy at this time of the year? Hope 2018 will be fruitful for you.
You appear to understand the point I was trying to make more than most. T -levels are good idea, I suppose that was like the old apprenticeships, and later YTS...although that was no where near as successful as many employers took advantage of young employees using them as cheap labour, but there were some success stories from it.

Thanks for our good wishes by the way, I am still trying very hard to obtain employment, however options are diversifying somewhat now, I have a number open to me at present I just need to decide which is the best path to take. Thats the tough part.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Dec 20th 2017 at 4:40 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I think some posters have taken this education equating to earnings a little bit too generally, I think some knew the point I was trying to make…. Of course there are many factors that define how successful one will be or how much money they will earn during their careers, and anyone that has made a success of themselves through being an entrepreneur then good for them! I admire them. I still think it’s a natural talent to make it a real success.

My point in particular was about VOCATIONAL education which is taken alongside on the job training, not academic education as such, (although some academic qualifications are directly associated with a job and could be included in the point I am making) if someone commits to years of education/training then why shouldn’t they earn more than someone who couldn’t be bothered, even when such an opportunity was presented to them!?

In my early career days most companies that employed a young new employee would offer some sort of apprenticeship or training scheme along with a funded college education, this was usually part funded by the government. Many young people at the time would bail out as it was easier to take an unskilled job as it was offering more money (in the short term) and they didn’t want to put in the effort in obtaining a vocational education.

Why should they earn the same as someone who has put the work into learning a trade and the education that goes along with it.....do they get a raise too when the new minimum wage comes into effect?
Old Dec 20th 2017, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Thanks for our good wishes by the way, I am still trying very hard to obtain employment, however options are diversifying somewhat now, I have a number open to me at present I just need to decide which is the best path to take. Thats the tough part.
That is always the case...days/weeks/months of no responses and then 2 or 3 come in almost simultaneously and you have to decide on one job offer which is a nice problem to have.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
That is always the case...days/weeks/months of no responses and then 2 or 3 come in almost simultaneously and you have to decide on one job offer which is a nice problem to have.
But the waiting is cruel. Hubby is in the same boat. I think we’ve both reached a point where we don’t expect a reply 😢
Old Dec 20th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Yes like buses!

These are options more so than jobs, Im looking at retraining options and relocating for work type option. Some options completely life changing... not decisions you can make lightly. Maybe the ghost of Christmas past will pay me visit and tell me which option to take!
Old Dec 20th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
But the waiting is cruel. Hubby is in the same boat. I think we’ve both reached a point where we don’t expect a reply 😢
Thats where I am at. Not even to interviews! which in my opinion is just plain rude!
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

if someone commits to years of education/training then why shouldn’t they earn more than someone who couldn’t be bothered, even when such an opportunity was presented to them!
You don't even want to be my comrade any more. Everyone's labour is valuable, and until the needs of the poor are being met, the wealthy are overpaid. It's that bit about "Do they get a raise too?" The tradesman making twice as much or more as someone on minimum wage isn't going to be unable to afford to live from month to month, that's the difference.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr...ng_to_his_need

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 20th 2017 at 9:20 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
You don't even want to be my comrade any more. Everyone's labour is valuable, and until the needs of the poor are being met, the wealthy are overpaid. It's that bit about "Do they get a raise too?" The tradesman making twice as much or more as someone on minimum wage isn't going to be unable to afford to live from month to month, that's the difference.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr...ng_to_his_need
Everyone's labour is valuable but I don't think everyone should be paid the same.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 9:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone's labour is valuable but I don't think everyone should be paid the same.
I think your expectations are guaranteed. Should someone working in a minimum wage job be paid enough to live? That's the question behind raising the minimum wage. Quality of life is directly related to crime, health costs, the well-being of society as a whole. Don't worry, I'm not for purging society of intellectuals.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I think your expectations are guaranteed. Should someone working in a minimum wage job be paid enough to live? That's the question behind raising the minimum wage. Quality of life is directly related to crime, health costs, the well-being of society as a whole. Don't worry, I'm not for purging society of intellectuals.
Good point the relationship between quality of life and a minimum standard of living. Senseless tax and government policies, and restrictions on freedom of enterprise certainly restrict economic growth of the economy- and overall real wages are just not enough in UK or USA- so why let the poor or working poor suffer from lack of economic growth ? I understand all the theoretical reasons for not increasing the minimum wage or eliminating it all together, but the reality is today I this economy there is a large class of working poor in both the UK and USA which imposes additional social and other external costs as you point out such that it might be a lot less expensive in the long run to up the minimum wage.

The government also has a role in all this beyond inane policies. I looked up on the HMRC site and there is a calculator of how one would benefit from work as opposed to the dole and housing benefit : it seems for many part or full time jobs the added benefit of working isn't that much, the benefits phase out to fast.

Milton Friedman had a great idea disliked by the left and the right, a negative income tax, and eliminate social welfare expenses. In the example he gave, ended up people would receive more in cash benefits state would spend less on social costs.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

https://youtu.be/Ds3rGOwVdqg

What's so good about democracy?
Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
https://youtu.be/Ds3rGOwVdqg

What's so good about democracy?
I don't remember seeing that. I must have been in the pub.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by morpeth
Good point the relationship between quality of life and a minimum standard of living. Senseless tax and government policies, and restrictions on freedom of enterprise certainly restrict economic growth of the economy- and overall real wages are just not enough in UK or USA- so why let the poor or working poor suffer from lack of economic growth ?
As long as the recipients of tax incentives have to prove that they are creating economic growth before they benefit, otherwise it is just a present to the rich at the expense of the rest of the people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.