Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Country Canadian vs City Canadian

Country Canadian vs City Canadian

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 2:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Country Canadian vs City Canadian

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suggest that my stance is not motivated by racism but irritation. This society is a multi-culture, the state does not deem it better to be a Muslim than a Jew, brown than white, all cultures should be respected. The maintenance of a different status for one ethnic group, subsidised to live in homelands but effectively forced to live in those homelands, is in conflict with the idea of equality of cultures. I grant that not all reservations are Davis Inlet and admire the acumen of some BC bands. Nonetheless, the status of the aboriginal people is an anomaly in the modern world; they don't fit with Canada.
What do you see as a solution? Perhaps government funding could be phased out over a fifty year period? I think special commercial rights within municipalities is an issue too. I think there's more than irritation to this, there's a need to find a coherent settlement for the tribes that doesn't work against their own futures, as well as the country's future.

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

It’s not about wanting to live in the past any more than you want to live in the Stone Ages. It’s about holding Canada accountable for the trauma of the genocide that is still happening against a race of people. It’s about institutionalized racism that is still entrenched in society that you and I are oblivious to because we’re not indigenous. Did you know that South African apartheid was modelled after Canada?
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 3:57 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
So, should the Indian Act be repealed, everyone being Canadian and afforded the same rights and freedoms, be subject to the same benefits,tax laws and dealt with equally under the law?
I think it would be good to be heading in that direction, but it would take decades and to implement and would have to be accepted by the indigenous people. The problem I see is that it's heading the other way. Your view?
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 4:15 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Lychee
It’s not about wanting to live in the past any more than you want to live in the Stone Ages. It’s about holding Canada accountable for the trauma of the genocide that is still happening against a race of people. It’s about institutionalized racism that is still entrenched in society that you and I are oblivious to because we’re not indigenous. Did you know that South African apartheid was modelled after Canada?
Hasn't Canada already been held to account, at least to some extent ? What about racism the other direction, are individuals in the indigenous community open to non-indigenous people and ethnically different people joining their societies? Where do you see the FN society in a few decades time, say the current protections and support are effective and the indigenous people grow massively in number, how does that society fit within Canada as a whole? What's the aim, two parallel societies, one based on integration of global migration and the other based on a nativist bloodline?
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 9:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So, should the Indian Act be repealed, everyone being Canadian and afforded the same rights and freedoms, be subject to the same benefits,tax laws and dealt with equally under the law?
If the Indian Act, which I haven't read, enshrines in law the concept of everyone being equal except one ethnic minority then, yes, it's in conflict with the concept of modern Canada.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 9:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What do you see as a solution? Perhaps government funding could be phased out over a fifty year period? I think special commercial rights within municipalities is an issue too. I think there's more than irritation to this, there's a need to find a coherent settlement for the tribes that doesn't work against their own futures, as well as the country's future.
Yes, phasing out would make sense but I see the central problem as being one of location. An urban minority might be targeted for educational programs with the hope that, in a generation, that minority has succeeded and blended into society as a whole. A dispersed population is more problematic. That issue was resolved in Newfoundland but making life untenable for people living where the government didn't want them to be. Closing down the schools, for example, forced parents to move to cities. The systemic racism mentioned in the next post discourages governments from pursuing urbanisation for the native population; paying them to live in their homelands avoids having to deal with the problems arising from clashes with the rest of the population.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It’s not about wanting to live in the past any more than you want to live in the Stone Ages.
Inasmuch as the aboriginal population is sincere in wanting to preserve its culture, it's very much about wanting to live in the past; a hunter gatherer society.

It’s about holding Canada accountable for the trauma of the genocide that is still happening against a race of people.
"Genocide" seems a bit strong. Is this a reference to the undrinkable water on reservations?

It’s about institutionalized racism that is still entrenched in society that you and I are oblivious to because we’re not indigenous.
It is a nonsense to think that all people not part of a specific minority subject to racism are unaware of that racism. This is a discussion of a racist policy. Of course, we're not oblivious to it.

Did you know that South African apartheid was modelled after Canada?
I have seen that claimed on these threads before but think it unlikely to be true.

Old Feb 23rd 2020, 10:08 am
Yo

Yes, phasing out would make sense but I see the central problem as being one of location. An urban minority might be targeted for educational programs with the hope that, in a generation, that minority has succeeded and blended into society as a whole. A dispersed population is more problematic. That issue was resolved in Newfoundland but making life untenable for people living where the government didn't want them to be. Closing down the schools, for example, forced parents to move to cities. The systemic racism mentioned in the next post discourages governments from pursuing urbanisation for the native population; paying them to live in their homelands avoids having to deal with the problems arising from clashes with the rest of the population.
I don't see 'educational programs' whatever they might be as effective. It would certainly be spun as some kind of cultural re-programming. I think there's such a intense desire for native identity, that any change would have to come from within. What's always puzzled me is the indigenous claims that they want to be close to the land, ancestor worship etc etc etc, and yet they avail themselves of all the mod cons of non-indigenous Canada. I see the special rights and funding as a well intentioned but in effect subversive intervention. Almost as if we are propping up an unsustainable society, and yet it's good to see the 'nation building' that the FN have managed to achive in the last couple of decades. I don't have any definitive answers, just fascinated by the topic of indigenous peoples.

Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the country. Once, when I was in a car crash, I went to the nearest farm house. The people there spoke what turned out to be Danish. I sat for a while in a police car, chatting. The cop lamented the perception that there's no diversity in the country "even the white people are all from different places".

Yesterday I went to the feed store where the friendly, historically Swiss but not really of this world, Mennonite woman served me. Today I went to the dentist in the nearby town. She’s from Vietnam and was assisted by a Romanian. I was referred to her by the regular dentist, an Iranian who has a Chinese assistant, a receptionist from Afghanistan and a Polish hygienist. I’m mulling having a haircut, the barber’s from Iraq as is the owner of the coffee shop I favour.

There are few people in the office, it being Friday. I’ve spoken to a chap from Dubai, an Indian and a Filipino. A cradle did stop by with a technical question and I spoke to another one about old motorcycles. A Korean, who has a child with a Cuban, popped up in a chat window to tell me we’re having lunch next week with a Russian and an African as well as the Scottish woman. Disappointingly, I haven’t seen the Peruvian of Japanese descent today, he’s kind of an ethnic trump card.

I wonder how you find enough Canadians to form an opinion about them; are you counting everyone who has a Canadian passport?
What you have described there sounds just like my work place, its great for global discussions in the lunch room on break time.... we have had many fascinating conversations about one and others culture.

The opinon I have formed to start this thread has been formed through meeting and talking with born and bred Canadians....not Canadian passport holders. I have spent time in the country and spent time in the city, and I find them very different people that have no desire to learn about the other' way of life. I don't think this applies so much to immigrants to Canada, as like myself I am keen to assimilate into Canadian culture so end up being a little bit of both. of course thats not always the case, but immigrants who choose their preferred lifestyle don't seem to be as critical on how others live theirs....

Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

The opinon I have formed to start this thread has been formed through meeting and talking with born and bred Canadians....not Canadian passport holders.

I don't know how you find enough to form an opinion about them. Do you belong the Legion or a lawn bowling club, something like that?
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how you find enough to form an opinion about them. Do you belong the Legion or a lawn bowling club, something like that?
The Masonic Lodge has lots of them as well. Head to a small town hockey rink on a Saturday morning or a Tim Horton's in a small town, a Don Cherry's when the Stanley Cup Playoffs are on and you may find a born and bred Canadian in his/her natural setting.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Peterborough for 9 years...that gives you a good idea of what born and bred country Canadians are like, very friendly people, but as I said some can have blinkered views on things.

I now live not far out of Toronto, so as a result spend more time in downtown Toronto, and city people are like different set of people....feels like Im in a different country...even though country and city are both Canadians born and bred,

And yes...I have visited a few legions in small town Canada in my past too! lol

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Feb 25th 2020 at 11:15 am.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Peterborough for 9 years...that gives you a good idea of what born and bred country Canadians are like, very friendly people, but as I said some can have blinkered views on things.

I now live not far out of Toronto, so as a result spend more time in downtown Toronto, and city people are like different set of people....feels like Im in a different country...even though country and city are both Canadians born and bred,

Each to their own. Other than a few months in Toronto (more than enough) when I first arrived in Canada, I have lived in a Rural area and love it. Not perfect however mega preferable to the city for this import from Scotland.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It probably isn't only in Canada. If I look at people from Connemara, they have nothing good to say about people from Dublin:-). In Germany calling some body "Bauer" would be an insult, especially if the person is from the City.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Each to their own. Other than a few months in Toronto (more than enough) when I first arrived in Canada, I have lived in a Rural area and love it. Not perfect however mega preferable to the city for this import from Scotland.
As I said in one of my posts….from a personal point of view and the things I enjoy doing, the country lifestyle suits me better too….(it’s a better representation of what real Canada is in my mind….the best backyard playground in the world!) But I have to go where the work is. The only thing I like about the city is its a better chance to meet a significant other....but I have come to realise that that is not the be all and end all.

Given a work opportunity I would probably move back to Peterborough, having lived in the city environment for well over a year now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.