Granite/Quartz
88.89%
Arborite type stuff
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Countertops - help me make up my mind!

Old May 16th 2012, 2:30 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Countertops - help me make up my mind!

Originally Posted by geedee
Depends how it's done! It doesn't have to look like the cooking area at Burger King

Granite stains too... but most stains can be eradicated, with a little care.
Or forethought. The best way to knacker your stainless steel pan that you've just used to make spag-bol is to leave it to soak. The acid in tomatoes just loves stainless steel.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:33 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Have you thought about stainless steel? Looks gorgeous....
We are not having stainless steel, stainless is too commercial and not very stainless here, we made the mistake with stainless appliances last time round, we learnt... Thanks for your suggestion though, much appreciated
Old May 16th 2012, 3:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Thats the exact look I went for - spooky - could we be related????

Took me 2/3 attemps to "age" the cabinets.

You can get some really nice formica that looks like wood if you shop around.
How did you age the cabinets? I had a go at the antiquing method and it looked really bad, so now I'm just (if I'm brave) going to sand down to the wood in strategic places. I have tested a bit, and it looked really good
Old May 16th 2012, 5:22 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
How did you age the cabinets? I had a go at the antiquing method and it looked really bad, so now I'm just (if I'm brave) going to sand down to the wood in strategic places. I have tested a bit, and it looked really good
With great difficulty, I bought the antique stuff, but thought it looked bad. I settled for just slightly rubbing the edging of the cabinet and the arch in the cupboard door, rather that the main body of the door. I put the antique stuff on and watered down the paint and just kinda went with the flow. Difficult to explain in words, just dont try to be too regimented in what you are doing. I used sponges to apply the mix I made up.
Old May 18th 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Aviator
We did granite, looked at Corian and all the others, granite looked the best. Does chip around the sink if you are not careful. Apparently it is a nice cool surface for doing baking stuff on. It has to be re sealed once a year, easily done yourself. There are some good suppliers out there and some crappy ones. We avoided Chinese granite and the cheap shops, wanted a quality product and that is what we got. Would do the same again if we had to redo it, which I hope we never do!
Why avoid Chinese granite?
Old May 18th 2012, 11:25 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why avoid Chinese granite?
The quality is not as good or consistent from what I found and in speaking to my counter top supplier. It is cheaper though.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:10 pm

The quality is not as good or consistent from what I found and in speaking to my counter top supplier. It is cheaper though.
So where did your granite come from, just from interest.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So where did your granite come from, just from interest.
Italy I believe.
Old May 19th 2012, 2:26 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody‘s thought of concrete? Easy, cheap, durable, and you can make it virtually any colour you want. I‘ve seen a few and wouldn‘t hesitate. Stains give it character. :-)
www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-diy-concrete-count-151138
I can‘t post the link to apartment therapy but google apartment therapy how to make concrete countertops imperfvectly - it‘s a good article.

Last edited by caretaker; May 19th 2012 at 2:48 am.
Old May 19th 2012, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We replaced our kitchen countertops last year and after much research and visiting numerous places selling all types of countertops and internet research we chose granite.
The others we thought had too much of a uniformity in the look whereas depending on the slab of granite it can look totally random. A big splash of colour and pattern in one area and less in others.
Visit these showrooms ask questions then make your decision.
Granite does seem to help if selling at a later date and can elicit that WOW factor.
Old May 19th 2012, 4:31 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Italy I believe.
So probably China?
Old May 19th 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
So probably China?
No, granite.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:37 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

No, granite.
Glanite?
Old May 19th 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
Nobody‘s thought of concrete? Easy, cheap, durable, and you can make it virtually any colour you want. I‘ve seen a few and wouldn‘t hesitate. Stains give it character. :-)
www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-diy-concrete-count-151138
I can‘t post the link to apartment therapy but google apartment therapy how to make concrete countertops imperfvectly - it‘s a good article.
Did think about concrete but you can't put hot things on it, ruled that one out quickly...
Old May 19th 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
We replaced our kitchen countertops last year and after much research and visiting numerous places selling all types of countertops and internet research we chose granite.
The others we thought had too much of a uniformity in the look whereas depending on the slab of granite it can look totally random. A big splash of colour and pattern in one area and less in others.
Visit these showrooms ask questions then make your decision.
Granite does seem to help if selling at a later date and can elicit that WOW factor.
Only if you have the same type of granite that everyone else has The randomness of the patterns in the slightly wilder granite is what I like, I like the leathered titanium and the one that looks like pebbles sliced in half, erm gold marinace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.