Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Costco - worth the hype?

Costco - worth the hype?

Old Jul 11th 2019, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costco - worth the hype?

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'll bet you mean durian fruit, (breadfruit [might as well be] *). You can buy it in Superstore here, have been able to for ages. If it was Duran fruit and you bought 2, you could say Duran Duran. My friends shop on the Drive and get veg at a nice open air market, which isn't expensive, sausage at JN&Z's, which is worth every penny, Asian specialty foods at any Asian grocery, which is cheap, and booze at the liquor store, which is expensive. They like to get their seafood on Granville Island, which costs far more than anywhere, but I don't. When I want to get a quart of oysters or some mussels I go to one of the Chinese fish stores on the edge of Chinatown near the park where the Italians play bocce; it usually costs half as much and they're just as good.
*https://foodstruct.com/compare/bread...an-raworfrozen
Yes, I did mean Durian, otherwise known as the worst smelling fruit

Most people can't get past the smell to taste it, but OH had it in Indonesia and likes the taste. Durian icecream or gelato can be found in some of the speciality stores in Vancouver, and OH always tries to find out who has it "this year".

Imagine walking into the Superstore to find a very large cardboard box filled with ripe durian ............... people were walking in one door and turning right around and going out the nearest exit

I think breadfruit is completely different ..... it is smaller and doesn't have a smell. I tried some in Australia, and it was pretty good..

Old Jul 11th 2019, 6:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I get overwhelmed by the exaggeration of the floor to massive ceiling abundance. It's so over the top it's oppressive. Maybe a symbol of western consumer arrogance? . . . It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts . . .
Old Jul 11th 2019, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I get overwhelmed by the exaggeration of the floor to massive ceiling abundance. It's so over the top it's oppressive. Maybe a symbol of western consumer arrogance? . . . It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts . . .
I once laughed at a cartoon in a Canadian publication. Well, smiled weakly. Adam, the eponymous character, goes to Costco and buys a box of breakfast cereal as big as him. He drives home with it overwhelming his roof rack. He puts his shoulder to the box and is able to tip it over. A single Cheerio, the size of the box, rolls out.

OK, it's not Enoch Powell or the boss of Distillers on the cover of Private Eye but it's the best example local humour I've come across.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Adam is an American cartoon published in Canadian papers, so a very poor example of Canadian humour.

I don't think there are many Canadians doing those strip cartoons, though there are several very good Canadian political cartoonists that are usually published on editorial pages of the newspapers.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 11:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Adam is an American cartoon published in Canadian papers, so a very poor example of Canadian humour..
A perfect example, no?
Old Jul 13th 2019, 9:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Did you get any elk or bison?
No...we have none! I did discuss it this week...you have a bigger French community in Moncton apparently...that being said ‘we’ have been discussing your purchases this week...so I am demanding the same...if you don’t sell it, nobody will buy it! I am hopeful Thank you!
Old Jul 13th 2019, 10:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
No...we have none!.....you have a bigger French community in Moncton apparently......
That reason sounds as plausible as the cashier in Superstore on Thursday, ringing up a bottle of Maple Syrup and telling my mother in law that you can't get it in Europe.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the store manager of Save On once about a specific item in produce they didn't carry, the manager was able to bring it in, they stocked it for about 2 months but sales were too low so the main office wouldn't let the store order it anymore. But the manager tried.

No...we have none! I did discuss it this week...you have a bigger French community in Moncton apparently...that being said ‘we’ have been discussing your purchases this week...so I am demanding the same...if you don’t sell it, nobody will buy it! I am hopeful Thank you!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No...we have none! I did discuss it this week....

New flyer week. Sobeys has loads of Bison steak again.