Costa Cruise Ship

Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:52 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Cruise Ship

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Ahhh - sorry. I was following the story in the Italian papers so didn't know that the English press might have bigged up the fact that Brits were on board.
Lorna, what is the take on this in Italy? I belive that that coastguard who ordered 'Captain Courageous' back on board is being hailed as a hero? I was amazed to hear a quote today saying that this Captain was not 'one of the best, but THE best man ' that Costa cruises had!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Please explain why a cruise ship would ever enter the waters of Morecambe...?
Because its in Lancashire no need to elaborate any further
Come on what cruise line passengers wouldnt fancy going shellfish harvesting on Morecambe Bay or visiting the statue of its most famous son Eric Morecambe (Morecambe & Wise for the young ones). The potted shrimps are by Appointment to HM Queen.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I can only comment on what I've seen, as can you. As you've had to change these batteries, they must have been fitted, though I'm not sure why they're needed. Neiter do I see why one would need a swipe card to exit a room.
each lock was fitted with a small battery compartment, and took an equivalent of 2 rechargeable AA batteries, these things do not need a strong charge. Each set was routinely changed every 3 months unless required earlier, due to usage. I also have never heard of a swipe card required to exit a room, generally by depressing the handle from inside all deadbolts etc were automatically released. But these systems may well have changed in the last 5 years.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:28 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
each lock was fitted with a small battery compartment, and took an equivalent of 2 rechargeable AA batteries, these things do not need a strong charge. Each set was routinely changed every 3 months unless required earlier, due to usage. I also have never heard of a swipe card required to exit a room, generally by depressing the handle from inside all deadbolts etc were automatically released. But these systems may well have changed in the last 5 years.
every hotel I have been in has been like this (I have been working away) and cannot see how enything else is not a fire risk. Hope it was not any different in this case, or not elsewhere.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:49 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
every hotel I have been in has been like this (I have been working away) and cannot see how enything else is not a fire risk. Hope it was not any different in this case, or not elsewhere.
No idea about cruise ships but in hotels the access system would be linked to the fire panel. This would cut power and release door if fire alarm was tripped.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:34 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
No idea about cruise ships but in hotels the access system would be linked to the fire panel. This would cut power and release door if fire alarm was tripped.
In an emergency, the power to door locks is always cut so that rescuers can get inside each room to check for people or deal with the emergency.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many will take advantage of this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...it-threat.html
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:44 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Lorna, what is the take on this in Italy? I belive that that coastguard who ordered 'Captain Courageous' back on board is being hailed as a hero? I was amazed to hear a quote today saying that this Captain was not 'one of the best, but THE best man ' that Costa cruises had!
Sorry, I've only just seen this.

Yes - he has been hailed as a hero and his words "vada a bordo cazzo!" (get on board dammit) have been printed on t-shirts and God knows how many have been sold.
I'm up North and many people here are embarassed by his behaviour. They already had enough of Berlusconi and his antics - and now Captain Coward and all his lies.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Italian Cruise ship captain Francesco Schettino began his new job
as a bus driver yesterday!
Attached Thumbnails Costa Cruise Ship-bus-sink.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I wonder if he was drinking Scotch on the rocks
Yes!
Even I knew the answer to that one...or was it coke?