Costa Cruise Ship

Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Cruise Ship

I know its a tragic story but the devil inside of me cant help but think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdxqIBfEAw

Apologies if offence caused.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 6:54 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I hope I'm getting you wrongly, but it's not how many Britons might have died, but how many people in total
f.
Sorry, if I was unclear Lorna, I was merely commenting on how parochial reportage can be - the bigger picture of loss gets fogged by the nationalities of the poor souls involved. I agree in spades as to what a bloody rotter this Italian Captain was. This accident is incredible, you sort of sadly expect this sort of stuff from overladen craft in some bits of the world, but not from a pleasure boat off the fragrant Tuscan coast.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
What about he swipe card doors on the cabins, once the power was lost ,they couldn't get out. What a nightmare!
I've never seen a swipe card needed for exiting a hotel room or cruise ship cabin. Swipe cards are only used for entry to rooms in my experience. My experience is also that in the event of a power failure, the locks open automatically.

Originally Posted by GC44
I can understand the uproar about the capitano but what about the sonar operator doing a Stevie Wonder impression or the navigator?
What sonar operator? Military and research vessels often have sonar, but cruise ships do not. I believe you're referring to the depth finder which measures how much depth is between the keel and the bottom directly underneath the vessel. This is monitored from the bridge with the rest of the navigation instruments, and doesn't tell you how close any rocks are around you.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I've never seen a swipe card needed for exiting a hotel room or cruise ship cabin. Swipe cards are only used for entry to rooms in my experience. My experience is also that in the event of a power failure, the locks open automatically.
Each door has its own battery power pack and is individually operated, there is no connection with any central power system, so this is a mute point
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:35 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Sorry, if I was unclear Lorna, I was merely commenting on how parochial reportage can be - the bigger picture of loss gets fogged by the nationalities of the poor souls involved. I agree in spades as to what a bloody rotter this Italian Captain was. This accident is incredible, you sort of sadly expect this sort of stuff from overladen craft in some bits of the world, but not from a pleasure boat off the fragrant Tuscan coast.
Ahhh - sorry. I was following the story in the Italian papers so didn't know that the English press might have bigged up the fact that Brits were on board.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

BBC news, the Captain says he was not trying to get into a life raft he fell into it He was supervising events from a distance!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
BBC news, the Captain says he was not trying to get into a life raft he fell into it He was supervising events from a distance!
Ha Ha yeh just heard on the news, he slipped and "fell offa da boot" "Do dappa day dappa dee" That's my best Italiano typed accent.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ha Ha yeh just heard on the news, he slipped and "fell offa da boot" "Do dappa day dappa dee" That's my best Italiano typed accent.
Along with his 1st Officer.....lol
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:55 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Did he trip over the small children & elderly who were waiting politely?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

What sonar operator? Military and research vessels often have sonar, but cruise ships do not. I believe you're referring to the depth finder which measures how much depth is between the keel and the bottom directly underneath the vessel. This is monitored from the bridge with the rest of the navigation instruments, and doesn't tell you how close any rocks are around you.[/QUOTE]

And I suppose you would have me believe that there is no "cat of 9 tails" or "powder monkey" on board! Not much chance of the captain being "keel hauled" then?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:43 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
that could be enough to stop me ever going on a cruise, right there - but is it really true? - my hotel has swipe cards but only to unlock from the outside - simple lever to unlock from inside. Same risk in fire surely.
Installing access control doors all day long ,I would say no, not true in the slightest.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:25 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
Each door has its own battery power pack and is individually operated, there is no connection with any central power system, so this is a mute point
Individual power packs for each door would incur a lot of unnecessary weight and complexity when you consider how many doors there are on a ship that size. The swipe reader would be hard-wired into the ship's electrical system.

I've never installed a separate battery pack for each reader in any installation I've done. The only additional wiring is to the master controller/computer usually.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Individual power packs for each door would incur a lot of unnecessary weight and complexity when you consider how many doors there are on a ship that size. The swipe reader would be hard-wired into the ship's electrical system.

I've never installed a separate battery pack for each reader in any installation I've done. The only additional wiring is to the master controller/computer usually.
Strange, having worked the cruise ships for several years, we were always changing batteries on swipe locks, maybe they were trying to keep us busy, who knows, but it was a few years ago now.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dormy
Strange, having worked the cruise ships for several years, we were always changing batteries on swipe locks, maybe they were trying to keep us busy, who knows, but it was a few years ago now.
I can only comment on what I've seen, as can you. As you've had to change these batteries, they must have been fitted, though I'm not sure why they're needed. Neiter do I see why one would need a swipe card to exit a room.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
if you did 20 football field from the shore at Morecambe, you would still be only in 4ft of water...you need to look at your charts. A bit too generalist!
Please explain why a cruise ship would ever enter the waters of Morecambe...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.