Correcting kids

Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:38 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Correcting kids

My eldest son is 7. He was 18 months when we arrived in Canada. I sometimes tease him when he asks for a Bananna. I tell him we are all out of Bannana's, but we do have Banarnas.

I've started saying sidewalk, garbage, gas station etc., but I still can't bring myself to say tomayto and the like. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. That may make me one of those Brits who refuse to assimilate and cling on to my old culture. Perhaps I should just go home and stop complaining.

I put the last sentence in to preĀ·empt some of the idiots on here.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

They will likely talk with a Canadian accent and they will likely use the Canadian noun rather than the English one. I don't, but accept that my kids do, to do anything else is just swimming against the tide.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I'm still biting my tongue after three years

But they will, like, insist on talking, like, all their, like, friends, like - aagghhh.

And I'm sorry, I don't mind the Canadianisms so much - it's the murdering of the French accent that has my teeth on edge - I'm posh apparently, 'cos I like the way they speak Pareeeeeesian French.
My daughter goes into 'like' mode when she is excited, it drives my husband mad, I don't tend to notice it until my husband starts going likelikelikelike

Originally Posted by Chookie
The only thing that sets my teeth on edge is when the kids call me "Mommy"... I am "Mummy"!

I even had to explain to one of the teachers when she corrected one of the girls spellings from Mum to Mom and say that I am Mummy and that I refuse to be a Mom!

The rest of it I dont mind anywhere near as much - I use a lot of them myself because it is easier
I am also a Mum(my), DD refuses to call me Mom.

My daughter also has the weirdest accent, it's no longer English but it's not Canadian either, it has a strange drawl to it. Sometimes I really can't understand her. I will tell her that I didn't understand a word she said and she will roll her eyes teenage style and say n'ver mind - Which drives me MAD

I understand that she has had to learn and speak the canadian way to be understood herself as I have the same problems at work, I told a colleague yesterday that we were going to go camping in a couple of weeks but before we went we would have to practice erecting the tent - she thought that was funny and I made her day!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I have the opposite problem. My daughter keeps correcting me. "It's tomaydo mama, not tomarto." etc.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:26 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
My eldest son is 7. He was 18 months when we arrived in Canada. I sometimes tease him when he asks for a Bananna. I tell him we are all out of Bannana's, but we do have Banarnas.

I've started saying sidewalk, garbage, gas station etc., but I still can't bring myself to say tomayto and the like. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. That may make me one of those Brits who refuse to assimilate and cling on to my old culture. Perhaps I should just go home and stop complaining.

I put the last sentence in to preĀ·empt some of the idiots on here.

I like the way you think

I have a friend whos been here longer than I have and talks like she got off the boat yesterday...the standing joke is me telling her she practices her accent in front of the mirror everyday...
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:53 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I've started saying sidewalk, garbage, gas station etc., but I still can't bring myself to say tomayto
Same with me, double double, sidewalk, garbage, hood, trunk all fine but TOMAYDO, just sounds too odd to me at the mo.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Same with me, double double, sidewalk, garbage, hood, trunk all fine but TOMAYDO, just sounds too odd to me at the mo.
Using local words, fine. But why in the world would you even consider changing your pronunciation unless it changed naturally?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

With my kids, they insist on raising their voices at the end of every sentence as if they're answering a question. While I'm pretty relaxed about the Canadianisms creeping into their language patterns, the constant questioning intonation tends to drive me insane.....
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:48 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Using local words, fine. But why in the world would you even consider changing your pronunciation unless it changed naturally?
Quite agree. It's funny, because when you learn to speak a different language, you try your best to pronounce words and phrases like a native. Which is as to be expected. But because English is our first language, it's harder for us to change the way we pronounce words we've been speaking for decades.

I'm a Southerner (East London), and if I were to move to, say, Sheffield, I'd never consider saying Baff (bath) instead of Barth. And I don't think anybody would expect me to. Our past experiences are what makes us who we are. I would defend my right to say Tomarto and Banarna to the death.

Last edited by John_B; Aug 1st 2010 at 1:19 am.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:07 am
The Pixies still Rule.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My daughter goes into 'like' mode when she is excited, it drives my husband mad, I don't tend to notice it until my husband starts going likelikelikelike
I know this is Australian, but this parody reflects North America just as well.

Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:18 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is Australian, but this parody reflects North America just as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j_htmQTbgms&feature=related
I could almost close my eyes and hear my CA native wife and her old high school friends yapping...excluding that perculiar english/aussie/yank crossover accent...which was funny by itself....

Classic...it doesnt matter where you are...
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:27 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

My Eldest uses all the Canadian terms - ie garbage, side walk etc - it is the "I see that frog over there" instead of "I saw that frog over there" or "I can see that frog over there" that drives me insane.

When corrected on it - she informs me her Teacher speaks like that and I have to calm OH down and agree that should this lack of grammar continue, we will leave this Country (well at least this Province) ASAP and move in with the Queen..
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:07 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are all too tolerant. Fancy letting the children talk back whether in a colonial accent or the Queen's English.

Pull yourselves together and exercise some discipline
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:59 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I think you are all too tolerant. Fancy letting the children talk back whether in a colonial accent or the Queen's English.

Pull yourselves together and exercise some discipline
I imagine all of those above would expect their children to speak French, for example, in a broad English accent.

"Unn Croysantt sil vooo plett"
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:19 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I imagine all of those above would expect their children to speak French, for example, in a broad English accent.

"Unn Croysantt sil vooo plett"
I most definately would. Is this wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.