Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus attitude poll

View Poll Results: CV19 attitude - Pls see Post 1 for category descriptors !
Careful
60.00%
Average
28.00%
Sceptic
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Coronavirus attitude poll

Old Oct 27th 2020, 1:31 am
  #16  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,150
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Are your stepkids being fairly sensible about the virus? There are indeed many intergenerational households, and that is why a two tier approach (of letting the young circulate freely) is problematic. And yet, in the worst case scenario, it may come to that.
The biggest difficulty is my SD works retail (Home stuff). The staff are masked up, screens at cash desk but they all do different things so they're not always at a cash desk.
For some time the store had a wear a mask policy but nobody was denied entry if they didn't have one. That's been replaced by a mandatory provincial policy to wear them but the store is still not enforcing it. But the wearers sometimes don't wear them properly and even lower them to speak to staff. And don't always observe distancing.

She gets the bus to work and although the drivers enforce it that's only when they get on the bus. They may lower them after and not be seen. Passenger numbers are restricted. A couple of weeks ago a woman was sitting behind SD telling someone she was with about how she and her son had just been tested as they had symptoms but this woman was on the bus going to work when she was supposed to be self isolating pending a result.

So, just like being on the roads, you can be careful but still have stupidity around you.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 2:06 am
  #17  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: slough - Adelaide
Posts: 27,336
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
..... A couple of weeks ago a woman was sitting behind SD telling someone she was with about how she and her son had just been tested as they had symptoms but this woman was on the bus going to work when she was supposed to be self isolating pending a result......
I think it is this sort of attitude that caused the second wave seen in Victoria and forced the lockdown that is only now being lifted. The second wave was much more severe than the first with about 18000 confirmed cases, and 800 deaths (not shown). Source of data - https://covid-19-au.com/state/vic

old.sparkles is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 2:33 am
  #18  
F.orum Ape
Thread Starter
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,484
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The biggest difficulty is my SD works retail (Home stuff). The staff are masked up, screens at cash desk but they all do different things so they're not always at a cash desk.
For some time the store had a wear a mask policy but nobody was denied entry if they didn't have one. That's been replaced by a mandatory provincial policy to wear them but the store is still not enforcing it. But the wearers sometimes don't wear them properly and even lower them to speak to staff. And don't always observe distancing.

She gets the bus to work and although the drivers enforce it that's only when they get on the bus. They may lower them after and not be seen. Passenger numbers are restricted. A couple of weeks ago a woman was sitting behind SD telling someone she was with about how she and her son had just been tested as they had symptoms but this woman was on the bus going to work when she was supposed to be self isolating pending a result.

So, just like being on the roads, you can be careful but still have stupidity around you.
Yes, that sounds like the reaility of it. I went to PC World back in August, and I remember being quite nervoust that the sales guy kept moving to within 1 meter of me.



Shard is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:47 pm
  #19  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,150
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Yes, that sounds like the reaility of it. I went to PC World back in August, and I remember being quite nervoust that the sales guy kept moving to within 1 meter of me.
I bought my first computer there. I don't think I'd be in Canada if I hadn't.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 3:31 pm
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
 
tumbleweedly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Location: At home
Posts: 525
tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

I'm still hoping there will be more advocacy for and money put into making it possible for the vulnerable population to stay at home. Those who want to do that should be supported.

If that meant separate housing for younger members of households which also have vulnerable people, then there should be at least partial subsidizing for that to encourage those who want to remain isolated from the general populations to be able to do so without severe hardship. Obviously I still think isolation is the only way guarenteed to saving lives of a large percent of the population.

People who can safely work will still have to take all measures to keep Cov19 from spreading but the significantly less deaths and hospitalizations would be really great results of such a scheme.

If I saw numbers coming down because of the methodology we have taken on so far, instead of numbers going up like rockets, I wouldn't be thinking of such a scheme.
tumbleweedly is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 5:16 pm
  #21  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 35,150
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
I'm still hoping there will be more advocacy for and money put into making it possible for the vulnerable population to stay at home. Those who want to do that should be supported.

If that meant separate housing for younger members of households which also have vulnerable people, then there should be at least partial subsidizing for that to encourage those who want to remain isolated from the general populations to be able to do so without severe hardship
How does that work in practice? If around half households are a mix, all things being equal something like 25% of the population needs rehousing.

A nice and neat way would be to do a straight swap - the young and fit move into households of young and fit, while at risk move out and into households of other at risk folk. Of course they'd all need to self isolate somewhere for two weeks before deemed safe so there's still an accommodation problem.

Maybe there are some old barracks around that could be used.

Sorry tumbleweedly, I'm not meaning to sound sarcastic, I just don't see it as practical and that's ignoring the breaking up family households aspect.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 5:44 pm
  #22  
L/R
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,526
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
How does that work in practice? If around half households are a mix, all things being equal something like 25% of the population needs rehousing.

A nice and neat way would be to do a straight swap - the young and fit move into households of young and fit, while at risk move out and into households of other at risk folk. Of course they'd all need to self isolate somewhere for two weeks before deemed safe so there's still an accommodation problem.

Maybe there are some old barracks around that could be used.

Sorry tumbleweedly, I'm not meaning to sound sarcastic, I just don't see it as practical and that's ignoring the breaking up family households aspect.
I agree, many western countries have chronic housing shortages, especially for young people, so the idea that such problems can be resolved in the middle of a global pandemic is a non-starter in my opinion, never mind the need for very considerable money that would be required. And as you point out, it would likely just lead to more "unnecessary" movements and contacts, with people visiting relatives. .... I could see that a house of several young people would just create a hotspot-bridge between households of otherwise unrelated families.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:41 pm
  #23  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,774
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus attitude poll

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I agree, many western countries have chronic housing shortages, especially for young people, so the idea that such problems can be resolved in the middle of a global pandemic is a non-starter in my opinion, never mind the need for very considerable money that would be required. And as you point out, it would likely just lead to more "unnecessary" movements and contacts, with people visiting relatives. .... I could see that a house of several young people would just create a hotspot-bridge between households of otherwise unrelated families.
Agreed. No way any government could suddenly find places for people to live to protect the vulnerable population, as you say many countries can't house the current population as it is.

Plus some cultures live in larger family groups under one roof, its pretty common with Indians here in BC, many generations under one roof. (By Indian I mean people from the country of India.)
Jsmth321 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.