British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Revin Kevin Mar 2nd 2021 2:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12978728)
Meanwhile Canada is around 41 times bigger than the UK (United Kingdom is approximately 243,610 sq km, while Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, making Canada 3,999% larger than United Kingdom.) - with huge tracts of land between cities / towns etc., and a population that is spread out. Not forgetting that we are still waiting for supplies, unlike the UK have had to (in the main).

In other news, it looks like the numbers are reducing.. so perhaps there's hope it will be over soon anyway!
https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...-cases.html#a4

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a14e42e8e1.jpg

95% of Canada's population live in only 5% of it's territory so the size excuse is a bit of a red herring. Either way the AZ will be a big help to the roll out due to the far easier logistics involved.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 2nd 2021 2:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12978849)
I really hope so. Would be nice if almost everyone in Canada had the jab by mid August so we could do one last hurrah before Summer ends.

BC is saying all adults will have been offered 1st dose of vaccine by end of July, they adjusted the booster shot time scale for Pfizer and Moderna, so anyone who gets those will get their booster 16 weeks later, and as Astra Zeneca was approved now there will be more supply so they seem more confident, July is better than September I say.


BristolUK Mar 2nd 2021 3:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12978855)
95% of Canada's population live in only 5% of it's territory so the size excuse is a bit of a red herring. Either way the AZ will be a big help to the roll out due to the far easier logistics involved.

A red herring if the 5% was all in one place, yes, but it's not.
Toronto and Montreal are the two biggest cities, 600km and 6 hours apart.
The next biggest is Vancouver, over 4000km away, the best part of two days by road.

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2021 4:36 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Vaccinations seem a shambles in Ontario. Some areas started vaccinations yesterday, Lines of 80+ yr olds stood in the freezing cold. Online registrations filled up very quickly. Toronto, where the Covid numbers are highest, don’t seem to have a plan sorted out yet. :frown:

Revin Kevin Mar 2nd 2021 6:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12978898)
Vaccinations seem a shambles in Ontario. Some areas started vaccinations yesterday, Lines of 80+ yr olds stood in the freezing cold. Online registrations filled up very quickly. Toronto, where the Covid numbers are highest, don’t seem to have a plan sorted out yet. :frown:

That's not great and I supose if the old folks catch thier death of cold it'll be put down as covid! Why don't they just copy what the UK are doing?

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2021 6:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12978954)
That's not great and I supose if the old folks catch thier death of cold it'll be put down as covid! Why don't they just copy what the UK are doing?

Hopefully they will get their act together and do just that. The online registration sounds a disaster so far.

BristolUK Mar 2nd 2021 6:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12978954)
That's not great and I supose if the old folks catch thier death of cold it'll be put down as covid! Why don't they just copy what the UK are doing?

Canada ordered enough vaccines to jab everyone several times over. We could have been like pin cushions. :lol:
Unfortunately, supplies didn't arrive so there hasn't been much of the stuff to get into arms yet.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 2nd 2021 7:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Seems people from Quebec are coming to BC for spring break.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tler-1.5931510


BC Gov't has been asking people not to travel here, apparently some people can't listen. Whistler doesn't want out of province visitors either.

Hopefully this doesn't cause an uptick in local cases.

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2021 7:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12978963)
Seems people from Quebec are coming to BC for spring break.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tler-1.5931510


BC Gov't has been asking people not to travel here, apparently some people can't listen. Whistler doesn't want out of province visitors either.

Hopefully this doesn't cause an uptick in local cases.

Not only Quebec...Ontarions too.

Revin Kevin Mar 2nd 2021 7:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12978963)
Seems people from Quebec are coming to BC for spring break.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tler-1.5931510


BC Gov't has been asking people not to travel here, apparently some people can't listen. Whistler doesn't want out of province visitors either.

Hopefully this doesn't cause an uptick in local cases.

So there are no travel restrictions within Canada at this time? That is surprising.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 2nd 2021 8:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12978980)
So there are no travel restrictions within Canada at this time? That is surprising.

Not really, Atlantic Canada might still have some, but most of Canada there isn't. BC did seek legal advice regarding closing the BC borders to non-BC residents and essential travel only but apparently was told legally it wasn't possible, and I suppose BC isn't willing to take on that legal fight and I can't blame them as BC would likely lose in court from what it sounds like.

bats Mar 2nd 2021 10:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12978875)
A red herring if the 5% was all in one place, yes, but it's not.
Toronto and Montreal are the two biggest cities, 600km and 6 hours apart.
The next biggest is Vancouver, over 4000km away, the best part of two days by road.

50 hours non stop driving. It takes 24 hours non stop to leave Ontario.
But yes you can't apply that argument that everyone is huddled together because we aren't.


Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12978954)
That's not great and I supose if the old folks catch thier death of cold it'll be put down as covid! Why don't they just copy what the UK are doing?

Because they have the NHS with a similar structure throughout.
Here each province will be doing things differently. In Ontario it's the Health Units who will organise distribution and administering the vaccine.

bats Mar 2nd 2021 10:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Peterborough students have been partying. 34 students with COVID now in isolation. What fun.

caretaker Mar 4th 2021 11:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Regina General Hospital has reported an outbreak in the mother and baby unit, so best of luck to everyone in there.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3a228cb9a1.jpg

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 5th 2021 12:11 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Variants of concern are on the rise in BC, province having trouble identifying chain of transmission for 25% of the variant cases. (variants of concern are those such the one first identified in UK or South Africa, UK one seems most common.)

Of the 564 new cases today, 46 were variants of concern.

"rolling average of new cases, as well as the number of active cases are at their highest point since Jan. 13 and the number of hospitalizations is the highest since Feb. 5. "

298,851 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine have been administered with 86,746 second doses given.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ch-4-1.5937103

caretaker Mar 5th 2021 10:43 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
If Saskatchewan had given out nearly 300,000 doses we'd have 1/4 of our total population vaccinated. Hopefully when supplies start rolling in the pace will pick up. There are some good reasons for the initial program being slow off the mark, but on a graph it looks bad.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...f66fef6bb8.png


Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2021 2:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
J&J vaccine has now been approved by Canada. This makes 4 vaccines...Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J available. At present the AZ vaccine will not be given to over 65s.

https://www.cp24.com/news/health-can...d-19-1.5335123

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 5th 2021 3:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
No official time line for delivery for J&J but likely no earlier than April. They have faced some production problems and behind a bit on deliveries in the US so that could impact deliveries to Canada.



Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12980087)
J&J vaccine has now been approved by Canada. This makes 4 vaccines...Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J available. At present the AZ vaccine will not be given to over 65s.

https://www.cp24.com/news/health-can...d-19-1.5335123


Danny B Mar 5th 2021 4:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12980087)
J&J vaccine has now been approved by Canada. This makes 4 vaccines...Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J available. At present the AZ vaccine will not be given to over 65s.

https://www.cp24.com/news/health-can...d-19-1.5335123

I want the one that hurts the least....I hate needles and injections.

Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2021 4:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12980156)
I want the one that hurts the least....I hate needles and injections.

Me too. I have a nasty memory of having the polio jab at school...the needle came off the syringe and was left in my arm. :eek:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 5th 2021 5:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12980156)
I want the one that hurts the least....I hate needles and injections.

I never did think of pain level differences between them. Only vaccine I can say hurts every time and I dread getting it, is tetanus, damn thing hurts at the day and lingering pain for a few days, luckily its only a once a decade type vaccine.

I have no memory of the childhood vaccines, and flu and tetanus is all I have ever gotten as an adult.


Siouxie Mar 5th 2021 5:32 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12980156)
I want the one that hurts the least....I hate needles and injections.


Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12980164)
Me too. I have a nasty memory of having the polio jab at school...the needle came off the syringe and was left in my arm. :eek:

J&J is only 1 jab - so might be the one to choose :D

Revin Kevin Mar 5th 2021 6:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12980200)
J&J is only 1 jab - so might be the one to choose :D

Maybe it's one jab because it's a real big needle! 🤣

Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2021 7:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12980247)
Maybe it's one jab because it's a real big needle! 🤣

:scaredhair:

Gone are the days when jabs were from a huge glass syringe, with a long thick needle.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 5th 2021 7:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Pfizer bumps deliveries a bit for Canada.

"Canada will get 1.5 million more doses of Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine delivered this month, and another two million doses that were set to arrive in the summer will now come in April and May."

https://www.cp24.com/news/health-can...ries-1.5335123


Jerseygirl Mar 5th 2021 7:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12980255)
Pfizer bumps deliveries a bit for Canada.

"Canada will get 1.5 million more doses of Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine delivered this month, and another two million doses that were set to arrive in the summer will now come in April and May."

https://www.cp24.com/news/health-can...ries-1.5335123

Yes!!! That is good news indeed. Hopefully the people here in Ontario will get their act together and get the vaccine in arms ASAP.

Edit: In some areas 80+ yr olds are now being vaccinated. One woman said despite booking an appointment, she was waiting for 3 1/2 hrs yesterday. They had to wait outside, it was bitterly cold, and very windy. The day before people had been waiting outside for approx 2 hrs. What a mess. :thumbdown:

bats Mar 5th 2021 7:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Peterborough has been moved into the red zone, all thanks to partying students. Someone suggested drowning them in Lysol.

Shard Mar 7th 2021 4:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12978673)

Boris haters will have a hard time criticizing those stats.

Meanwhile here in Canada, 1.8m jabs later...

The vax rate is indeed impressive, but it doesn't excuse the Boris and his incompetent crew for allowing a hundred thousand unecessary deaths. Mistake after mistake has lead to rapid, and totally foreseen, spread of a dangerous virus. Lately, the after the fact, concern and caution is being attributed to "rising variants" but if the UK Gov had bothered to put lives in front of nationalism and economic ideology far fewer people would have died.

Deaths per million

UK - 1826
Canada - 585
Australia - 35







old.sparkles Mar 8th 2021 6:45 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12980927)
The vax rate is indeed impressive, but it doesn't excuse the Boris and his incompetent crew for allowing a hundred thousand unecessary deaths. Mistake after mistake has lead to rapid, and totally foreseen, spread of a dangerous virus. Lately, the after the fact, concern and caution is being attributed to "rising variants" but if the UK Gov had bothered to put lives in front of nationalism and economic ideology far fewer people would have died.

Deaths per million

UK - 1826
Canada - 585
Australia - 35


I think people look at the numbers and still do not comprehend them fully.

On worldometers, you can add the cases every x people, deaths every x people.

For the USA, 1 person in every 11 has had COVID (confirmed), and 1 person in every 620 has died.
For the UK - 1 person in every 16 has had COVID and 1 person in 548 has died.
Canada - 1 in 43; 1 in 1711.
Australia - 1 in 885; 1 in 28272.


Now with vaccines, the UK (and NHS) are doing a magnificent job getting the first jab into people. But I do believe that the focus should switch to full immunisation now for the most vulnerable

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 8th 2021 5:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Senior phone appointments became available today here in BC, its staggered based on age on when to call.

March 8 born in 1931 or earlier (aged 90 and above) or Indigenous seniors born in 1956 or earlier are eligible to phone.
March 15
seniors born in 1936 or earlier (aged 85 and above).
March 22 seniorsborn in 1941 or earlier (aged 80 and above).

Once someone becomes eligible they are able to book at any time, so they don't have to call on that specific day, they can call anytime once eligible.

First vaccines wont begin until next Monday.

There are some exceptions:

In Vancouver Coastal Health, seniors born in 1941 or earlier (80 years of age and older) who live on the Sunshine Coast, or in Powell River, Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton are invited to call as of March 8.

Island Health region, approximately 30 smaller and remote communities that don't currently have immunization clinics will be vaccinated as a whole — meaning the whole community will receive the vaccine during a single visit by health authorities to the area.

Northern Health, the phone booking system will open to seniors aged 80 and above in certain communities on March 10. (communities listed in article)

Fort Nelson, seniors 60 and above will be able to register by March 10.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...se-2-1.5940396


scrubbedexpat091 Mar 8th 2021 8:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
1.7 million calls in under 3 hours.

" there are about 47,000 people in the province who are 90 and up and 35,000 who are Indigenous people over 65"

Clearly there are people who are not eligible yet clogging the phone lines.

Hopefully with time more online booking options will be available.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rush-1.5941230

Danny B Mar 8th 2021 9:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12981380)
1.7 million calls in under 3 hours.

" there are about 47,000 people in the province who are 90 and up and 35,000 who are Indigenous people over 65"

Clearly there are people who are not eligible yet clogging the phone lines.

Hopefully with time more online booking options will be available.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rush-1.5941230

Online booking and people born before 1941 do not compute :lol:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 8th 2021 9:44 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12981412)
Online booking and people born before 1941 do not compute :lol:

Yes many in the age group may handle phones better. :lol:

But I do hope once they get to the under 70 groups online booking becomes the norm, I think Fraser Health offers it already so I imagine the rest of the health authorities will follow at some point.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2021 1:24 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
144 cases of variants of concern over the weekend in BC, total of 1,462 new cases over the weekend with 11 deaths.

Outbreak at a care home in Kelowna, involving 2 staff members and 10 residents, every resident and staff member was offered vaccines and there was a high uptake, some have received 2 doses, others just 1 dose, illness appears more mild and transmission is lower so probably wont see massive scale outbreaks like previously.

333,327 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C. so far.

rules around sport and religious ceremonies may loosen in the coming weeks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...home-1.5941508



scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2021 10:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I guess we now know why Vancouver Coastal Health had so few appointments booked yesterday, looks like Telus failed in performance but promises to do better.

Online appointments should be available in all health regions by middle of April.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/b-c-min...-appointments/


Final booking numbers from yesterday.

VIHA – 2,395
FHA – 8,722
IHA – 2,456
VCHA – 369
NHA – 1,007

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 11th 2021 4:54 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
People 85 and over can begin making appointments at 12 noon tomorrow, originally due to start Monday. Approx 75,000 people in the 85 to 89 age group eligible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...s-up-1.5944986

Only 1 death on Wed, seems now that care home residents are vaccinated at least partially deaths have slowed a bit which is good, still 500+ cases announced though for Wed in BC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...h-10-1.5944696

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 11th 2021 8:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Outdoor social gatherings of up to 10 people will be permitted in BC.

The new order comes into effect immediately.

Last call for alcohol sales will be at 8 p.m. at restaurants, bars and liquor stores on St. Patrick's Day.



Revin Kevin Mar 12th 2021 6:11 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12981100)
I think people look at the numbers and still do not comprehend them fully.

On worldometers, you can add the cases every x people, deaths every x people.

For the USA, 1 person in every 11 has had COVID (confirmed), and 1 person in every 620 has died.
For the UK - 1 person in every 16 has had COVID and 1 person in 548 has died.
Canada - 1 in 43; 1 in 1711.
Australia - 1 in 885; 1 in 28272.


Now with vaccines, the UK (and NHS) are doing a magnificent job getting the first jab into people. But I do believe that the focus should switch to full immunisation now for the most vulnerable

I find those figures for the UK incredible. My experience just doesn't corellate to those numbers. Coming from a large family and running a business I have a lot of contacts yet haven't had a single person tell me thier friend/family member died of covid. I know a good few people who have had covid including family members but they were all fine and found it more of an inconvenience than anything else.

old.sparkles Mar 12th 2021 6:26 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12982712)
I find those figures for the UK incredible. My experience just doesn't corellate to those numbers. Coming from a large family and running a business I have a lot of contacts yet haven't had a single person tell me thier friend/family member died of covid. I know a good few people who have had covid including family members but they were all fine and found it more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Fingers crossed it stays that way :fingerscrossed:

christmasoompa Mar 12th 2021 9:26 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12982712)
I find those figures for the UK incredible. My experience just doesn't corellate to those numbers. Coming from a large family and running a business I have a lot of contacts yet haven't had a single person tell me thier friend/family member died of covid. I know a good few people who have had covid including family members but they were all fine and found it more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Lucky you. We have two friends who've died of it, both of them were only middle aged. I hope your friends/family continue to be unaffected.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.