British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Jerseygirl Feb 11th 2021 2:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Covid numbers in Ontario have steadily been falling since lockdown was implemented on Boxing Day. Yesterday’s figures are now just under 1K...but the numbers are under reported in Toronto. :blink:

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...lete-1.5304825


Shard Feb 11th 2021 2:44 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12970641)
Now you know better than saying that.

Speaking of which, not totally convinced by the WHO-China joint statement that it didn't come out of the Whuan Institutue of Virology !

Danny B Feb 13th 2021 1:50 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I heard something on the news tonight about an outbreak of the UK variant doing the rounds in NFLD.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 13th 2021 2:33 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
B.1.525 variant has been found in BC, first of this variant to be found in Canada.

Variant is associated with travel to Nigeria, the person it was found in had recently returned to BC from Nigeria.


https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-identifies...eria-1.5307360

Jerseygirl Feb 16th 2021 3:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
904 cases yesterday, 26 deaths. the numbers were over 3,000 around Christmas. We have been locked down since Boxing. It is likely to be lifted somewhat next week.

Shard Feb 16th 2021 3:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
What's happening in your neck of the woods:

FULL lockdown - everything closed except groceries / no of very limited non-household mixing permitted
PARTIAL lockdown - certain types of biz closed / some social mixing permitter
CAUTION - most biz opened subject to social distancing / no restrictions on meeting others

UK is FULL
from what I gather BC is CAUTION

How about your province / location ?


spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2021 3:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12974161)
904 cases yesterday, 26 deaths. the numbers were over 3,000 around Christmas. We have been locked down since Boxing. It is likely to be lifted somewhat next week.

That's a long time JG. Are you managing ok or going a bit stir crazy?

Shard Feb 16th 2021 3:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12974185)
That's a long time JG. Are you managing ok or going a bit stir crazy?

Ahem, 31 October. Stir crazy, yes.

By coincidence, that happens to be the sun was put into lockdown too.

spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2021 4:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12974192)
Ahem, 31 October. Stir crazy, yes.

By coincidence, that happens to be the sun was put into lockdown too.

Let's hope your lockdown ends well before the sun's :thumbup:



Jerseygirl Feb 16th 2021 4:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12974185)
That's a long time JG. Are you managing ok or going a bit stir crazy?

I am now feeling rather fed up with it all to be honest. Of course the bloody winter weather doesn’t help.

Siouxie Feb 16th 2021 4:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12974182)
What's happening in your neck of the woods:

FULL lockdown - everything closed except groceries / no of very limited non-household mixing permitted
PARTIAL lockdown - certain types of biz closed / some social mixing permitter
CAUTION - most biz opened subject to social distancing / no restrictions on meeting others

UK is FULL
from what I gather BC is CAUTION

How about your province / location ?

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/zones-an...s#stay-at-home
Stay at Home order since Christmas, until today.. as of today.
Hamilton Public Health Services – Red–Control

Next Monday (22nd) will mark 1 year since I went into a store.. 6 months since I sat on a patio... and last saw a friend.


spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2021 4:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12974198)
I am now feeling rather fed up with it all to be honest. Of course the bloody winter weather doesn’t help.

Understandable that you're getting fed up. Just because we understand why something's being done and support it on that basis, doesn't mean we have to like it. Will keep my fingers crossed that things get much better very soon.

Jerseygirl Feb 16th 2021 4:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12974203)
Understandable that you're getting fed up. Just because we understand why something's being done and support it on that basis, doesn't mean we have to like it. Will keep my fingers crossed that things get much better very soon.

Plus the fact that we don’t have any vaccines doesn’t help. Especially when I hear that people in the US and UK have had theirs or have an appointment .

spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2021 4:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12974204)
Plus the fact that we don’t have any vaccines doesn’t help. Especially when I hear that people in the US and UK have had theirs or have an appointment .

Hasn't Canada started vaccinating people yet?

Australia just got its first lot, 140,000 doses of the Pfizzer vaccine. That'll go a long way among 26 million... Although, the AstraZeneca one's just received approval and we're licenced to manufacture that here, so hopefully things will ramp up quickly. Or not.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 16th 2021 4:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Life is still pretty normal in British Columbia, cases have largely plateaued in the 400-500 new cases a day range for weeks now. There hasn't been an update in 4 days due to the weekend and holiday yesterday but if the trend continues probably the same.



Jerseygirl Feb 16th 2021 4:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12974208)
Hasn't Canada started vaccinating people yet?

Australia just got its first lot, 140,000 doses of the Pfizzer vaccine. That'll go a long way among 26 million... Although, the AstraZeneca one's just received approval and we're licenced to manufacture that here, so hopefully things will ramp up quickly. Or not.

Canada has received approx 1.5. Million doses so far. Ontario has no vaccines left.

Shard Feb 16th 2021 4:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12974211)
Life is still pretty normal in British Columbia, cases have largely plateaued in the 400-500 new cases a day range for weeks now. There hasn't been an update in 4 days due to the weekend and holiday yesterday but if the trend continues probably the same.

It sounds like it. I was surprised to hear that so much (everything) is open in Vancouver. Our national cases have come down but are still very high. Possible easing of restrictions in March.

Danny B Feb 16th 2021 4:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12974182)
What's happening in your neck of the woods:

FULL lockdown - everything closed except groceries / no of very limited non-household mixing permitted
PARTIAL lockdown - certain types of biz closed / some social mixing permitter
CAUTION - most biz opened subject to social distancing / no restrictions on meeting others

UK is FULL
from what I gather BC is CAUTION

How about your province / location ?

Here in BC the general rule is, we can do almost anything provided we are in groups of less than 6. This is an order from the PHO (public health officer)

However

There are lots of advisories (not orders) and one of them is related to travel which some people are blatantly ignoring.

At this time, all non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province. For example:
Do not travel for a vacation
Do not travel to visit friends or family outside of your household or core bubble

Personally, in times like this, I think travel orders are needed.


spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2021 4:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12974214)
Canada has received approx 1.5. Million doses so far. Ontario has no vaccines left.

Ah, I see what you mean. Hope it isn't too long before the next batch arrives.

Shard Feb 16th 2021 5:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12974226)
Here in BC the general rule is, we can do almost anything provided we are in groups of less than 6. This is an order from the PHO (public health officer)

However

There are lots of advisories (not orders) and one of them is related to travel which some people are blatantly ignoring.

At this time, all non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province. For example:
Do not travel for a vacation
Do not travel to visit friends or family outside of your household or core bubble

Personally, in times like this, I think travel orders are needed.

It's definitely hard to keep everyone on the same wavelength on mere advisories. We had that so called "rule of six" some months ago before we went into the full LD.

BristolUK Feb 16th 2021 5:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
We're (NB) finally back to the sort of minimal figures we had before Christmas thanks to the get togethers that even if nobody broke any rules, allowing multiple households to mix (up to a steady/fixed 20 people) was way too generous.

Following that everywhere went up a level or 2 or 3 and it's finally looking back under control. There's still an issue up north on the Quebec and Maine borders.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 16th 2021 6:07 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12974208)
Hasn't Canada started vaccinating people yet?

Australia just got its first lot, 140,000 doses of the Pfizzer vaccine. That'll go a long way among 26 million... Although, the AstraZeneca one's just received approval and we're licenced to manufacture that here, so hopefully things will ramp up quickly. Or not.


Canada has received approx. 1,447,600 doses of Pfizer and Moderna combined of which about 89% have been administered.

BC where I am 162,982 have been administered of the 188,500 delivered with 17,562 people having received 2 doses and considered fully vaccinated.

We have a long way to go still.

Canada of course has had a supply issue due to Pfizer and Moderna having cut deliveries in some cases pretty significantly for the past few weeks.



Teaandtoday5 Feb 24th 2021 7:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Ontario vaccination program continues at pace. If the pace is that of a snail. Not even a fast snail. A really unambitious, taking it easy, no rush kind of snail.

Revin Kevin Feb 24th 2021 7:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12977127)
Ontario vaccination program continues at pace. If the pace is that of a snail. Not even a fast snail. A really unambitious, taking it easy, no rush kind of snail.

If you can't wait come to Britain they will literally vaccinate anybody!
They have now put a call out asking illegal immigrants to come forward for vaccination - no questions asked. Kinda makes sense in a weird sort of way I suppose.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 24th 2021 8:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
88% of the doses Ontario has received have been administered from this tracking site, doesn't seem they are doing too bad.

Canada is still simply not receiving enough for it to go quickly, sucks but can't administer what you don't have.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

602,848 (+17141 today) administered
683,255 delivered
88.23%

Canada wide 80% of the doses delivered have been administered.

2,033,060 doses of COVID-19 vaccines (including both Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech) have been delivered to the provinces for administration. As of today, 80.4% of doses delivered to the provinces have been administered.

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2021 1:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Canada has approved the AZ vaccine. 20,000,000 doses ordered. Hopefully they will arrive sooner rather than later.

Revin Kevin Feb 26th 2021 2:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Got the vaccine today together with my wife. It's clear how they are rolling it out so fast, everything is very very well organised. Starts with a telephone call 3 or 4 days in advance offering you a date and time slot to the minute. Our vaccination centre was the local cottage hospital. We were met outside 5 minutes before our time and led to a waiting area outside a small examination room. On the dot I went in one room my wife in another, sat down, name checked, sleeve up and jab, job done. Then led to another waiting area for 10 minutes watched by nurses in case of adverse reaction. Total time not much more than 15 minutes. I think there were 10 lines running simultaneously and ours is tiny town.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 26th 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12977768)
Canada has approved the AZ vaccine. 20,000,000 doses ordered. Hopefully they will arrive sooner rather than later.

Deliveries expected in 2nd and 3rd quarters, so we may not see any until April or later, but government is trying to negotiate earlier deliveries so if they can pull that off that would be good.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ast...oved-1.5929050


Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2021 4:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12977817)
Deliveries expected in 2nd and 3rd quarters, so we may not see any until April or later, but government is trying to negotiate earlier deliveries so if they can pull that off that would be good.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ast...oved-1.5929050

On our TV they were saying it is not as effective in over 65’s. In Ontario vaccination of 65-70 yr olds is due for June. Therefore it will not quicken things until people below that age group are due to be vaccinated.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 26th 2021 4:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12977833)
On our TV they were saying it is not as effective in over 65’s. In Ontario vaccination of 65-70 yr olds is due for June. Therefore it will not quicken things until people below that age group are due to be vaccinated.

BC current timeline which is subject to change. Under the current timeline I will be eligible in July and August.

Currently in Phase 1 which includes
  • Residents and staff of long-term care facilities
  • Individuals assessed for and awaiting long-term care
  • Residents and staff of assisted living residences
  • Essential visitors to long-term care facilities and assisted living residences
  • Hospital health care workers who may provide care for COVID-19 patients in settings like Intensive Care Units, emergency departments, paramedics, medical units and surgical units
  • Remote and isolated Indigenous communities

Phase 2 was supposed to start by now but hasn't yet, includes
  • Seniors aged 80 and over who are not immunized in Phase 1
  • Indigenous (First Nations, Métis and Inuit) seniors age 65 and over, Elders and additional Indigenous communities not immunized in Phase 1
  • Hospital staff, community general practitioners (GPs) and medical specialists not immunized in Phase 1
  • Vulnerable populations living and working in select congregated settings
  • Staff in community home support and nursing services for seniors



People aged 79 to 60, in five year increments: (phase 3)
  • 79 to 75 (D1 April, D2 May)
  • 74 to 70 (D1 April/May, D2 May/June)
  • 69 to 65 (D1 May/June, D2 June/July)
  • 64 to 60 (D1 June, D2 July)

Phase 4 includes everyone else.

People aged 59 to 18, in five year increments:
  • 59 to 55 (D1 July, D2 August)
  • 54 to 50 (D1 July, D2 August)
  • 49 to 45 (D1 July, D2 August)
  • 44 to 40 (D1 July, D2 August)
  • 39 to 35 (D1 July/August, D2 August/September)
  • 34 to 30 (D1 August, D2 September)
  • 29 to 25 (D1 August/September, D2 September)
  • 24 to 18 (D1 and D2 September)

Rete Feb 26th 2021 4:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12977768)
Canada has approved the AZ vaccine. 20,000,000 doses ordered. Hopefully they will arrive sooner rather than later.


Florida has, as well. They will start with AZ next week. A neighbor of Sis is getting hers then.

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2021 5:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12977838)
Florida has, as well. They will start with AZ next week. A neighbor of Sis is getting hers then.

I thought it required FDA approval first?

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 26th 2021 7:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12977849)
I thought it required FDA approval first?

It would require FDA approval, and doesn't appear FDA has approved AZ yet, so not sure how anyone in the US would have access to it.


scrubbedexpat091 Mar 1st 2021 6:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
BC entering phase 2 of vaccinations. Certain groups of seniors and Indigenous peoples.

Seniors who do not live in care can call to book their own appointment based on a staggered schedule, which is as follows:
  • From March 8: Seniors over the age of 90 (those born in or before 1931) and Indigenous people over the age of 56 (those born in or before 1956).
  • From March 15: Seniors over the age of 85 (those born in or before 1936).
  • From March 22: Seniors 80 and older (those born in or before 1941).
Call centers open March 8 and number to call depends on health authority, and can be found at the link below.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...accine/seniors


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ovid-1.5931543



Danny B Mar 1st 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...46984be848.jpg

Boris haters will have a hard time criticizing those stats.

Meanwhile here in Canada, 1.8m jabs later...

BristolUK Mar 1st 2021 9:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12978673)
Boris haters will have a hard time criticizing those stats.

You're looking at it the wrong way ;)

As someone else said, the cock ups have been government related. The NHS is handling the vaccines.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 1st 2021 9:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Now lets save Danny's post and come back to it when Canada hits 20 million and see what month it is and compare again.

Danny B Mar 1st 2021 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12978678)
You're looking at it the wrong way ;)

As someone else said, the cock ups have been government related. The NHS is handling the vaccines.

The NHS has done an outstanding job, they are government funded so I'm sure Boris and his crew will get some credit somewhere.

However, the people on the ground who planned the logistics of getting 20m people inoculated up and down the country within such a short period of time deserve the credit. It's amazing. Just shows what can be done if people work together and local councils recruit volunteers.

Siouxie Mar 2nd 2021 2:19 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12978673)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...46984be848.jpg

Boris haters will have a hard time criticizing those stats.

Meanwhile here in Canada, 1.8m jabs later...

Meanwhile Canada is around 41 times bigger than the UK (United Kingdom is approximately 243,610 sq km, while Canada is approximately 9,984,670 sq km, making Canada 3,999% larger than United Kingdom.) - with huge tracts of land between cities / towns etc., and a population that is spread out. Not forgetting that we are still waiting for supplies, unlike the UK have had to (in the main).

In other news, it looks like the numbers are reducing.. so perhaps there's hope it will be over soon anyway!
https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...-cases.html#a4

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a14e42e8e1.jpg

Danny B Mar 2nd 2021 2:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12978728)

In other news, it looks like the numbers are reducing.. so perhaps there's hope it will be over soon anyway!
https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...-cases.html#a4

I really hope so. Would be nice if almost everyone in Canada had the jab by mid August so we could do one last hurrah before Summer ends.




All times are GMT. The time now is 3:16 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.