British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

BristolUK Feb 13th 2020 5:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus

5 yearly? Isn't it once only ?

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12805892)
Recommended every 5 years if an underlying chronic condition apparently.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12805897)
not if the person was 65 or older when they received the first vaccine...or so I’ve read. .

If you're getting the first one after reaching 65 then you're not getting it because of the chronic conditions though. Maybe that's the difference.
I was answering for me, based on what my doc says and having had first Pneumo shot aged 57 and at least two chronic conditions. Maybe two and two halves :lol:

But reading a bit more one might conclude that for an otherwise healthy person aged 65 one is enough, as Bats suggested, while the further one is away from 65 and with chronic conditions, more than one or two is likely.

Nand Feb 13th 2020 11:56 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51491763

This puts it at a whole new level of uncertainty and probable panic.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 14th 2020 8:59 pm

5th case in BC, female in her 30's traveled from Shanghai and lives somewhere in the Interior Health Authority region. She and any close contacts are self isolated at home.

Seems good so far that most if not all the cases in BC have not needed hospitalization.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6552744/b...Y5L7Zfi0BFFWi4

MillieF Feb 15th 2020 11:24 am

I see France has had its first confirmed death from Coronavirus.

Reading the symptoms it doesn’t seem at all extraordinary, one could have those symptoms every year and just put it down to ‘feeling off colour’.

I have always thought that a cruise seemed the most ghastly way of travel and would avoid it like the plague (pun intended). It certainly wouldn’t incentivize me to get on board one now, with a load of coughing others...dreadful thought.

Nand Feb 15th 2020 9:37 pm

The victim was an 80 year old tourist from China here on holiday with his 50 year old daughter. She is still in hospital in North Paris, just a 4 hour train ride from us and she is doing well and expected to be released soon. Sad story really.

They came to france on the 16 of January.

It is the first death from the covid-19 in Europe and UK.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 21st 2020 8:34 am

6th case in BC, woman in her 30's and recovering at home. No travel to China, but she did travel to Iran, doesn't appear they know where she was exposed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.5470757

dave_j Feb 23rd 2020 5:47 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business...tbreak-deepens

It appears that the virus is doing something no politician dares to do, it's reducing the world economic activity and hence generation of greenhouse gases.
Is this natural science fighting back?
Is this a warning?
Can we expect a worse virus in the future?

Danny B Feb 23rd 2020 8:59 pm

Air Canada has confirmed that a passenger aboard one of its flights from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine's Day has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 23rd 2020 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12810728)
Air Canada has confirmed that a passenger aboard one of its flights from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine's Day has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

Sounds like its the lady who is the 6th confirmed case, she arrived from Iran, and so luckily not a new case on top of that case.

Looks like only the crew and passengers within 3 rows will be notified. Crews can continue flying, but can opt to take 14 days off and self monitor.

Teaandtoday5 Feb 23rd 2020 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12810734)
Sounds like its the lady who is the 6th confirmed case, she arrived from Iran, and so luckily not a new case on top of that case.

Looks like only the crew and passengers within 3 rows will be notified. Crews can continue flying, but can opt to take 14 days off and self monitor.

there doesn’t seem to be any consistency in approach? Either here or in the UK. If you’re flown home by the government you are put in isolation, otherwise it’s yeah, whatever...🤷‍♀️

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 24th 2020 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12810781)
there doesn’t seem to be any consistency in approach? Either here or in the UK. If you’re flown home by the government you are put in isolation, otherwise it’s yeah, whatever...🤷‍♀️

The reactions of various countries has been a bit interesting, is the US for instance overreacting or is Canada under-reacting, hard to know at this point, only time will tell.

spouse of scouse Feb 24th 2020 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12810728)

A few days ago Australia had 15 confirmed cases but 7 passengers on the Diamond Princess repatriation flight to Darwin have tested positive, so 22 now. Those 7 have been flown to their home states for medical treatment, the rest remain in quarantine in Darwin.

Nand Feb 24th 2020 10:53 am

A few days ago in Italy, a small country compared to US or Canada, had 87 cases and then this morning reports 150 cases.

The Mardi Gras celebrations here in France go on as if nothing could be finer in life than going out and being in bars and close spaces with lots and lots of drunk people. IDK what is going on because there has been a flu epidemic called here in France for two weeks? Everone is coughing a lot, yet cases of Covid 19 remain around 10.
I hope that low number is true rather than no one is bothering getting tested and they surmise its just the regular flu?

Zoe Bell Feb 24th 2020 12:23 pm

I have a horrible feeling that in a week or so's time our event that opens on Sunday is going to be ground zero for it spreading throughout Toronto and the world!

Siouxie Feb 24th 2020 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12796538)
oh yay! about to host a conference of 25000 people, many of whom are from China.
i have been designated the companies soon-to-be-expert on all things Corona virus related

this is going to be fun

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811042)
I have a horrible feeling that in a week or so's time our event that opens on Sunday is going to be ground zero for it spreading throughout Toronto and the world!

I am shocked that in light of the rapid spread of this virus the conference hasn't been cancelled. It's a disaster waiting to happen - 25,000 attendees plus exhibitors - some from China/the Far East - in a confined space.. and all the people in the hotels they will stay at, the public transit they will use, the airport travellers......... if any of them are carriers or have it, they could infect millions.

a convention for people, companies and organizations. In addition to meeting over 1,100 exhibitors, 2,500 investors and 25,800 attendees from 132 countries,