British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

printer Dec 14th 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12946049)
COVID-20 has been discovered :thumbdown:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55308211

Is this the UK governments way of an excuse for not stopping the spread as well as maybe they should have with all these tiers and shutdowns? "It's not our fault we haven't got this under control its a new strain you know" :p
Keep wearing the masks and washing your handies and don't worry if you live up north its just a miserable southern strain. :rofl:

Rete Dec 14th 2020 10:25 pm

Why does this have to be a government's fault? Are we, the people, so much of the herd mentality that we can no longer think and act on the knowledge given us without being directed to do so by a government.

We were told by the media of the severity of the virus and could see how it affected people in China and the tourists visiting there and returning home. Observing the climbing number of cases and the ever increasing number of deaths should have forced the public to open their eyes to the hazards of this virus and learn how to protect themselves and their families. Why do we need to be told that we should be social distancing or wearing masks and that washing hands often is so important. We should have been barring ourselves from social gathering without having been told to do so or having stores and public areas shut down.

When did the human race become so stupid?

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 14th 2020 10:32 pm

49 deaths over the weekend in BC, with 2,146 new cases.

698 cases between Friday and Saturday, 689 cases between Saturday to Sunday, and 759 cases between Sunday and Monday.

4,000 doses of vaccine arrived in BC last night, select healthcare workers in Vancouver and Fraser Health will get it tomorrow, they expect by next week all health regions will have some vaccines available for front line healthcare workers and long term care staff.

Aim is to have 10% of BC population vaccinated by end of March.

General public likely around May if the time line given next week stays relevant.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...c-14-1.5827554

printer Dec 14th 2020 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12946199)
Why does this have to be a government's fault? Are we, the people, so much of the herd mentality that we can no longer think and act on the knowledge given us without being directed to do so by a government.

We were told by the media of the severity of the virus and could see how it affected people in China and the tourists visiting there and returning home. Observing the climbing number of cases and the ever increasing number of deaths should have forced the public to open their eyes to the hazards of this virus and learn how to protect themselves and their families. Why do we need to be told that we should be social distancing or wearing masks and that washing hands often is so important. We should have been barring ourselves from social gathering without having been told to do so or having stores and public areas shut down.

It's a worldwide issue. Almost every country in the world is seeing huge rises and almost every country in the world has numerous protocols in place. Humans are well human and will do what they do. If we were all perfect rule followers there would be no need for all these threats of fines and closures and all. We know how much devastation can be caused by war but it doesn't stop those in power dropping bombs on their "enemies" Or the outright religious nutters who will die for their cause and think nothing of blowing up innocent civilians, yep the human race is most definitely stupid.
And alas how much trust do any of us put in the media these days?

Danny B Dec 14th 2020 10:58 pm

In all fairness, the world did get a lot of mixed messages from the world health organization in Jan & Feb which didn't help.

Even here in BC our top health officer said The use of non-medical masks will not protect you, but they can help reduce you spreading the virus, says Dr. Bonnie Henry. “(But) I am not against it.” she said this in April and masks did not become mandatory until November 19th.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Looking back they probably should have made masks mandatory in March and kept the economy going, much like they are doing now. I don't blame world governments for panicking and shutting everything down, it's done now. We will learn from it.

Shard Dec 14th 2020 11:09 pm

Around 2008 when the smartphone was introduced.

You make a fair point, but I think many people defer to the government on how serious the risk has become. And even then, as we can see, there are many who dispute it entirely. I think the UK Government has presented very mixed messages, false information, false claims and incoherent strategy from day 1 until right now. It has been poorly managed and that has cost 1000s of lives. Unfortunate, but the public wanted a buffoon prime minster and the death toll is one consequence of that.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 15th 2020 12:01 am

I wouldn't say people have gotten stupider, but the internet has opened up the door to people we likely would never have come across or met pre-internet days, the internet gives people a platform that didn't exist in the past. It's much easier to be exposed to conspiracy theories and for those who believe in such theories to access others, organize etc, it was a lot harder in the past.

It's kind of like crime, many city's have lower crime now than 20-30 years ago, but the news is more in our face now so it gives the illusion crime is out of control when the stats tend to tell a different story, but this does vary city to city, country to country, so need to look into the stats for your area.

Humans are also in general social creatures, it's our instinct to seek other humans out and be around other humans, so its completely unnatural for most humans not purposely isolate for months away from others, and at some point effects mental wellbeing, and one might be willing to take more risks to not be isolated and mentally unwell.

printer Dec 15th 2020 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12946215)
Around 2008 when the smartphone was introduced.

You make a fair point, but I think many people defer to the government on how serious the risk has become. And even then, as we can see, there are many who dispute it entirely. I think the UK Government has presented very mixed messages, false information, false claims and incoherent strategy from day 1 until right now. It has been poorly managed and that has cost 1000s of lives. Unfortunate, but the public wanted a buffoon prime minster and the death toll is one consequence of that.

16500 people in latest London protests apparently :eek:

Jerseygirl Dec 15th 2020 4:49 pm

Ontario...for the first time the Covid numbers went over 2K...2,300. 711 cases in Toronto. 20 deaths. Wonder what the numbers will be like in 4 weeks time? :eek:

sharkus Dec 15th 2020 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12946469)
Ontario...for the first time the Covid numbers went over 2K...2,300. 711 cases in Toronto. 20 deaths. Wonder what the numbers will be like in 4 weeks time? :eek:

One would like to think equal to that number or less. However, given the fact that there will, unfortunately, be many. many people who just won't listen to common sense, I suspect around 5,000 or more.

Siouxie Dec 15th 2020 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12946469)

Yikes! Those numbers are getting concerning :( Hamilton had another 150 cases yesterday,. Edited to add - apparently Hamilton may be going into lockdown (grey zone) as well - will know on Friday.

Thought this chart was interesting - how similar the symptoms are at times with the flu!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...dc08164a3d.jpg

Danny B Dec 15th 2020 5:51 pm

I wonder where on the 'leading causes of death' chart for 2020 COVID will rank.
Canada is at 13,600 deaths as of December 15th, about the same as Cerebrovascular disease and unintentional accidents for 2019.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1310039401

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 15th 2020 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12946516)
I wonder where on the 'leading causes of death' chart for 2020 COVID will rank.
Canada is at 13,600 deaths as of December 15th, about the same as Cerebrovascular disease and unintentional accidents for 2019.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1310039401

US COVID is currently standing at 3rd leading cause of death when compared to 2018 stats, only cancer (599,274) and Heart Disease ( 655,381) being higher.

The 2018 3rd leading cause of death was
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 167,127

COVID deaths sitting around 302,000

For those who still claim its not as bad the flu, in 2018 Influenza and pneumonia (they combine the 2) killed 59,120 people.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 15th 2020 9:45 pm

Big White cluster outbreak is up to 60 now, linked to shared housing and social gatherings.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 15th 2020 10:14 pm

First person in BC got their vaccine today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-bc-1.5842455

Shard Dec 15th 2020 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12946490)
Yikes! Those numbers are getting concerning :( Hamilton had another 150 cases yesterday,. Edited to add - apparently Hamilton may be going into lockdown (grey zone) as well - will know on Friday.

Thought this chart was interesting - how similar the symptoms are at times with the flu!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...dc08164a3d.jpg

That is a good chart :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 16th 2020 1:43 am

Some ramp employees at the Vancouver Airport have become ill, a small outbreak it appears.

https://www.richmond-news.com/corona...vid-19-3181090

Oink Dec 16th 2020 9:57 am

Is Covid a sexually transmitted ailment? I'm only asking for a friend. :o

Jingsamichty Dec 16th 2020 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12946770)
Is Covid a sexually transmitted ailment? I'm only asking for a friend. :o

If 'your friend' wears a condom over their head for the entire encounter it will probably be just fine. Best make the event as quick as possible to avoid problems with suffocation.

Jerseygirl Dec 17th 2020 2:24 pm

The numbers have been creeping upwards this week. Yesterday 2,432 cases in Ontario. 737 in Toronto. 23 deaths.

caretaker Dec 17th 2020 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12946773)
If 'your friend' wears a condom over their head for the entire encounter it will probably be just fine. Best make the event as quick as possible to avoid problems with suffocation.

The BC health authorities are way ahead of this one:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7204384/c...ory-holes-sex/

spouse of scouse Dec 17th 2020 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12947210)
The BC health authorities are way ahead of this one:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7204384/c...ory-holes-sex/

That link looks interesting - 'coronavirus-glory-holes-sex' :blink:
Unfortunately I can't do my due diligence on the story because I get an error message when I click the link. I miss all the good stuff :frown:

Edit: I found this Mayo Clinic link, which might help answer your 'friend's' question Oink :D
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...%20the%20virus.

caretaker Dec 17th 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12947225)
That link looks interesting - 'coronavirus-glory-holes-sex' :blink:
Unfortunately I can't do my due diligence on the story because I get an error message when I click the link. I miss all the good stuff :frown:

"B.C. health officials are recommending an age-old, occasionally cutting-edge tactic for sex during the coronavirus pandemic: “glory holes.”

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control added new recommendations for socially distant sex to its COVID-19 website this week. One of those tips was to try using a “glory hole” — a hole cut into a wall that’s only large enough for a penis to slip through.

Glory holes are typically used for anonymous oral or penetrative sex, according to Urban Dictionary, but they’re also an excellent way to limit physical contact during intercourse, the B.C. CDC says.

“Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact,” the health organization writes on its website."

spouse of scouse Dec 17th 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12947267)
"B.C. health officials are recommending an age-old, occasionally cutting-edge tactic for sex during the coronavirus pandemic: “glory holes.”

The B.C. Centre for Disease Control added new recommendations for socially distant sex to its COVID-19 website this week. One of those tips was to try using a “glory hole” — a hole cut into a wall that’s only large enough for a penis to slip through.

Glory holes are typically used for anonymous oral or penetrative sex, according to Urban Dictionary, but they’re also an excellent way to limit physical contact during intercourse, the B.C. CDC says.

“Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact,” the health organization writes on its website."

Oh. Right. Ta.

*old lady faints*

Siouxie Dec 17th 2020 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12947269)
Oh. Right. Ta.

*old lady faints*

I fixed the link if you want to read it LOL :D

Shard Dec 17th 2020 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12946773)

That's a ridiculous joke, but somehow I laughed at the suffocation bit. :lol:

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 18th 2020 12:12 am

This is worrisome, Oncologists worried the delays in cancer screening this year will be leading to a tsunami of cancer due to pandemic delaying and restricting screening tests.

from March 15 to May 31 in Ontario compared to the year prior,
  • A 97 per cent decrease in screening for mammograms through the Ontario Breast Screening Program.
  • An 88 per cent decrease in Pap tests through the Ontario Cervical Screening Program.
  • A 73 per cent decrease in fecal tests through ColonCancerCheck.
Albertans diagnosed with cancer decreased by 23 percent over 2019.

In BC 25 per cent drop in cancer diagnoses.

Oncologists don't believe that cancer rates are actually dropping they are just not being diagnosed due to reductions in screening and other factors related to the pandemic.

​​​​​​​https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cance...gcdpZ1hYpJ622A

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 18th 2020 6:41 am

BC Office of Human rights reminding businesses about mask exemptions, there have been people refused service and even medical tests due to being unable to wear a mask, or otherwise exempt.

Exemptions include:
  • Anyone under the age of 12
  • Anyone unable to wear a mask because of a health condition or mental impairment
  • Or anyone who is unable to put on or remove a mask without help from another person.

, if a person claims a mask exemption, businesses are to take them at their word. Proof should not be required.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2020 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12947473)
BC Office of Human rights reminding businesses about mask exemptions, there have been people refused service and even medical tests due to being unable to wear a mask, or otherwise exempt.

So wearing masks is voluntary.
Exemptions include:
  • Anyone under the age of 12
  • Anyone unable to wear a mask because of a health condition or mental impairment
  • Or anyone who is unable to put on or remove a mask without help from another person.

, if a person claims a mask exemption, businesses are to take them at their word. Proof should not be required.

So that essentially makes it voluntary.

BristolUK Dec 18th 2020 4:10 pm

Young fit professional athletes.
Newcastle manager Steve Bruce shocked by effect of Covid on players

“four or five” were still sidelined by the virus. “For a couple of them it’s had a damaging effect,” he added. “It won’t be a week or two [that they’re out], it will be longer than that...“It’s not just fatigue, they’ve got other symptoms too. It washed over most of them but some are finding it a struggle...Some of them seem all right but then the fatigue element hits them, but for two it’s beyond that. They’re still going to take weeks to get back; you wouldn’t think that this long Covid thing is possible in fit, young athletes.”

Danny B Dec 18th 2020 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12947479)
So that essentially makes it voluntary.

The dark ages lasted 5 centuries and they didn't have Netflix. I'm sure people can wear a mask in public for a few more months...

caretaker Dec 18th 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12943782)
An old friend (he's really old) who usually saves me his moose and deer hearts every year has been in ICU for a couple of weeks now. He's still able to talk and eat, but he's been on total pressurized oxygen for a week. He's signed the form that he doesn't want to go on a ventilator, and is not to be resuscitated. This is a great big strong guy, who even at his age could knock most men flat. If it can take him, it can take anyone.

It can take anyone. :beer:RIP Steamer.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 18th 2020 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12947710)
It can take anyone. :beer:RIP Steamer.

Sorry to hear your friend didn't make it. :(

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 18th 2020 10:27 pm

Happy Birthday you have COVID. Birthday party in Vaughan, Ontario on Dec 6th. Age range of 3 to 54.

22 people go to party, 11 get COVID.

Siouxie Dec 19th 2020 2:48 am

Hamilton goes into Grey Lockdown from Midnight Sunday for 28 days - there goes Christmas for a lot of people = only those living alone can mix with one other household.

Partially discharged Dec 19th 2020 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12947790)
Hamilton goes into Grey Lockdown from Midnight Sunday for 28 days - there goes Christmas for a lot of people = only those living alone can mix with one other household.

I know of some people who will be breaking that rule.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 19th 2020 3:31 am

624 cases in BC today. 11 deaths. I hope people follow the rules and don't have big Christmas gatherings.

Siouxie Dec 19th 2020 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12947794)
I know of some people who will be breaking that rule.

It's not just a rule, it's illegal to do so! https://covid-19.ontario.ca/zones-an...ach-zone-means

It is illegal to gather indoors with anyone you do not live with.

You must limit contact to your household (the people you live with) and stay at least 2 metres apart from everyone else.

Do not visit any other household or allow visitors in your home.

If you live alone, you can have close contact with only one other household.

All events and social gatherings:
  • Indoors: not allowed, except with members of your household (or one other household if you live alone)
  • Outside: 10 people

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 19th 2020 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12947797)
It's not just a rule, it's illegal to do so! https://covid-19.ontario.ca/zones-an...ach-zone-means

Could bot see the consequences, a fine?

Siouxie Dec 19th 2020 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12947852)
Could bot see the consequences, a fine?

Emergency Measures and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA) - the fines are a lot higher for a business though - up to $5,000

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...7289cada6d.jpg
https://www.hamilton.ca/coronavirus/...ut-enforcement