British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2020 9:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus

For those who are curious, and want to spend $75 and have a participating life labs nearby, you can now get antibody testing done.

It's available in Vancouver area and Kamloops, but not available in Kelowna.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7484886/n...ibody-test-bc/

My sister had one of these tests done in the US, how they determined she was likely the asymptomatic source to a couple outbreaks, but it was free for her, covered by public health, and here we have to pay $75 bucks.

If it were cheaper like $20 bucks, I'd consider doing it for curiosity, but not for $75 dollars.

Whistler is open for the season, but the municipality is hoping non-locals stay away for now. (Vancouver and LM don't count as local.)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...emic-1.5815139

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2020 11:25 pm

887 new cases, 13 deaths in BC.

Almost 300 in hospital.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...v-26-1.5818226

Shard Nov 27th 2020 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12940077)
People are getting difficult. Yes, Nelson too, probably others that have been missed in the media.

I'd have added an extra zero to the find for not wearing a mask, I think it's $320, but really should be $3,200.

The Kelowna FB groups, oh my some crazy conspiracy people out there, boggles the mind, and it's like there is a book they all use, they repeat the same exact crap, the ever popular educate yourself, what else, oh yes everyone including doctors and professionals who have spent entire careers and decades studying infectious disease apparently know nothing, and the 25 year old, who looks like they barely finished high school listing their employer as some bar, or fast food joint are apparently the go to experts.

And poor Bill Gates, what did he ever do to these people.

It does boggle the mind. The "book" is their social media echo chamber. It's also the case that the asymptomatic nature of Covid and the many mild cases tend to skew perceptions.

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2020 2:25 pm

Record high number of cases in Toronto yesterday 1,855, but record high number of tests 58,000.

What I don’t understand is...Toronto is on lockdown but not certain regions that are part of the GTA. Surely the whole area should be lockdown? I can’t shop, go the the hairdressers but if I travel a few miles within the Toronto area I can. ;confused:

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 27th 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12940326)
Record high number of cases in Toronto yesterday 1,855, but record high number of tests 58,000.

What I don’t understand is...Toronto is on lockdown but not certain regions that are part of the GTA. Surely the whole area should be lockdown? I can’t shop, go the the hairdressers but if I travel a few miles within the Toronto area I can. ;confused:

Keep calm and believe in science

Siouxie Nov 27th 2020 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12940326)

Not all areas have the high numbers that Toronto does - what they should be doing is stopping anyone from entering or leaving Toronto, lol - but that's impossible and the numbers on the outside towns around and in the GTA will probably rise as more covidiots travel around to different towns to 'evade' the lockdown. :) I know a couple of people who travel from Grimsby to Toronto every week (several times) and back again, to see aged parents and/or to work.. go shopping etc., and have been doing so without any break despite so called 'lockdowns'.

Gozit Nov 27th 2020 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12939661)
Does Malta have a decent vaccine supply? Honest question that I don't have a clue about, and google wasn't much use - but wouldn't surprise me if they are behind Canada?! (although I'm about as far from an expert on Malta as one can be)

Since we are an EU member state our government has an agreement to receive vaccines for the entire Maltese population, since I have a Maltese address there will actually be one set aside for me technically. Since it is only approx 500,000 people I don't think we will have the trouble that Canada will re supply and demand and vaccinating everyone.

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2020 4:01 pm

It’s ridiculous...all lockdown does is encourage people from an infected area to travel to shops, beauty parlours in less infected areas, especially at this time of year.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2020 4:50 pm

Government can't afford or is not willing to provide the financial supports people would need in order to have a truly strict lock down and close most places down.

Financially lockdowns effect those who can least afford it the most, lower income earners with limited savings, and the government knows this, they also know they can't provide the necessary financial supports.

Danny B Nov 27th 2020 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12940391)
Government can't afford or is not willing to provide the financial supports people would need in order to have a truly strict lock down and close most places down

The CERB payment of $500 a week for 28 weeks was good while it lasted but no western government can afford to pay people to stay at home for 12-18 months.

It's mainly fitness centres that are completely closed down right now in BC isn't it? Most other businesses are still open, but restricted to the best of my knowledge.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2020 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12940404)
The CERB payment of $500 a week for 28 weeks was good while it lasted but no western government can afford to pay people to stay at home for 12-18 months.

It's mainly fitness centres that are completely closed down right now in BC isn't it? Most other businesses are still open, but restricted to the best of my knowledge.

Yeah there isn't much actually closed in BC as far as I know.

Many places open are employing fewer people though due to reduced demand, airlines, hotels, tourism related places.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2020 10:41 pm

I am getting tested tomorrow.

I had a cough for a few days that has gotten worse, today as day went on, I have gotten aches, a runny nose, headache, the cough as gotten worse, and a weird purplish rash on my back. No fever, and I think my smell is still okay.

They have 2 locations now, and its literally next door to where we live, 2 minute walk or 4 minute drive, driving takes a little longer as can't go as direct a route, and they now have online booking.

I took the BC CDC screening and it told me to get tested.

Hopefully just a run of the mill cold. If I did test P, no idea where I could have picked it, well it would either be from my wife, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or the pet store, only places I have been in the past 14 days.

911 new cases today in BC, 301 now in hospital with 11 more deaths.

30,884 cases since the pandemic started in BC

54 active outbreaks in long-term care and five in hospitals.

YVR (Vancouver Airport) in partnership with UBC and Providence Health Care and sponsored by YVR and WestJet are going a rapid testing pilot program, and asking volunteers to get tested prior to their domestic flight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...v-27-1.5795881

They don't usually update over the weekend, so Monday we may see another 2,500-2,900 new cases, my estimate anyhow.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 27th 2020 10:59 pm

People who have had it tell me loss of smell is the give away, and they can eat raw onions without issues.

Shard Nov 28th 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12940508)
People who have had it tell me loss of smell is the give away, and they can eat raw onions without issues.

Yes, I think taste/smell is the clearest symptom. When I think I might have it, I just have a nose of some whiskey to test and then a wee dram to celebrate continuing good health. :)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 28th 2020 4:50 pm

A Costco in Manitoba got hit with a 5,000 fine (not like such a fine is anyway painful for a company like Costco) for selling non-essential items at one of their stores. If the fines are low enough, big box stores may just see it as a cost of doing bossiness, the revenue from breaking the rule may exceed the fines, now if it were 5 million per offense, bet the stores would start to listen.

Not much detail given on the part of the government or even what was sold.

A church was also fined for holding services.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-ne...with-5000-fine

caretaker Nov 28th 2020 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12940777)
A Costco in Manitoba got hit with a 5,000 fine (not like such a fine is anyway painful for a company like Costco) for selling non-essential items at one of their stores. If the fines are low enough, big box stores may just see it as a cost of doing bossiness

I doubt that Costco would want the bad PR that goes along with non-compliance. Like you said, they can afford to take the hit once, but they aren't going to get away with anything now so I don't think they'll intentionally do it again.[/QUOTE]

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2020 4:07 am

No pandemic in Calgary, lets all go to the mall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...mall-1.5820689

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2020 5:24 pm

I was thinking just how hard it truly would be to be in self isolation for 14 days if you didn't have someone on the outside, and had pets or in need of something that Wal-Mart or Super Store doesn't sell. I'd have no way of getting dog and cat food since neither store sells the brands we buy and the pets eat, and pet store doesn't do delivery.

It would be tricky for anyone without friends to get what they need for 14 days, delivery is rather limited in this area.

Something people should keep in mind, even if you do get over the virus itself, other health issues need to be considered, like this 29 year old who tested positive in May, and seemed to be recovering, then ended up with multiple pulmonary embolisms.

Now it's November and he still hasn't fully recovered and just started to work from home part-time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/vancouv...d-19-1.5203362

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 29th 2020 5:53 pm

Chewy.com

Siouxie Nov 29th 2020 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12941055)
I was thinking just how hard it truly would be to be in self isolation for 14 days if you didn't have someone on the outside, and had pets or in need of something that Wal-Mart or Super Store doesn't sell. I'd have no way of getting dog and cat food since neither store sells the brands we buy and the pets eat, and pet store doesn't do delivery.

It would be tricky for anyone without friends to get what they need for 14 days, delivery is rather limited in this area.

Something people should keep in mind, even if you do get over the virus itself, other health issues need to be considered, like this 29 year old who tested positive in May, and seemed to be recovering, then ended up with multiple pulmonary embolisms.

Now it's November and he still hasn't fully recovered and just started to work from home part-time.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/vancouv...d-19-1.5203362

Yes, I've made a concerted effort to make sure I always have enough dog food in to last a week, plus some frozen raw ground beef or similar for emergency backup.. I keep one smallish bag of kibble in reserve for the same reason.
Sounds like that chap has long covid - it's becoming more common. :(
https://evidence.nihr.ac.uk/themedre...-with-covid19/

caretaker Nov 29th 2020 6:16 pm

I could do 14 days standing on my head. 15 minutes in the grocery store first and I could do a month. The quartermaster gene stays with you.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2020 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12941063)
Chewy.com

Not an option in Canada. And if outside of a major metro area could take up to 2 weeks to receive an order, internet ordering is slow and not as robust as you have in the US.

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12941067)
Yes, I've made a concerted effort to make sure I always have enough dog food in to last a week, plus some frozen raw ground beef or similar for emergency backup.. I keep one smallish bag of kibble in reserve for the same reason.

Yes it's not crucial for me, just was a random thought that for those who have no friends or family, and don't have a credit card, could really be up the creek if they can't leave their home for 2 weeks. I couldn't order anything online at the moment if I wanted to, no credit available on the card, but I only have a $500 limit, and all the auto payments go on it (various insurance, BC Hydro and cell phone) and then I pay it off at the end of the month when we get paid.

Charlee has at least a month of food in the freezer, the cat we buy week worth at a time, but I may start buying 2 weeks worth at a time for the time being.

For those in Surrey and Vancouver, some grocery store outbreaks.

The article also includes some deaths per capital for a couple provinces, I knew Quebec was bad, just didn't realize how bad.

Per capita rate of deaths:

8 per 100,000 in BC
82 per 100,000 in Quebec
25 per 100,000 in Ontario

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...sitive-3137002

caretaker Nov 29th 2020 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12941073)
The article also includes some deaths per capital for a couple provinces, I knew Quebec was bad, just didn't realize how bad.
8 per 100,000 in BC
82 per 100,000 in Quebec

53 per 100,000 in Saskatchewan

Stumpylegs Nov 29th 2020 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12941073)

8 per 100,000 in BC
82 per 100,000 in Quebec

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...sitive-3137002

UK is currently at 85 per 100,000 - so similar to Quebec on a whole.

caretaker Nov 29th 2020 9:24 pm

I was just chatting with my old friend on skype text messaging, and he told me the nursing home just called and his mother has tested positive. I've known them almost 50 years. :(

BEVS Nov 29th 2020 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12941110)
I was just chatting with my old friend on skype text messaging, and he told me the nursing home just called and his mother has tested positive. I've known them almost 50 years. :(

Oh :( . Difficult. I shall hope her case will be mild.

BristolUK Nov 29th 2020 9:52 pm

Sounds like that chap has long covid - it's becoming more common.

Add in the one in five having some sort of mental health issue (anxiety, depression so far) within 3 months of 'recovery' and then realise that an awful lot of people - in New Brunswick's case, that's most of the cases - have yet to reach that three month point so it could be more, and you realise the virus is best avoided rather than something to be "got over with and then I'll be fine."

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2020 9:57 pm

BC doesn't as far as I can tell break deaths down by age. I suspect since majority of cases are in younger age groups, this is is keeping the death rate relatively low, but I dunno for sure.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...95085f3e16.png

Zoe Bell Nov 29th 2020 10:59 pm

I am so sorry for everyone who is being personally affected by this shitty shitty virusEvery time I think about meeting up with someone I shouldn't or doing something risky I remind myself of the far reaching implications

Interesting about the depressive issues after.. I'm fairly convinced that soon drs will find an organic reason for several types of depression . Such as a virus or the like. I believe Lyme's disease is also known to have this affect.

40 years ago scientists were adamant that viruses couldn't cause cancer....now we vaccinate against viruses we know can.. maybe soon we will have similar treatments for depression

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 30th 2020 2:48 am

My sisters husband still having some issues, he is back on oxygen, recovered and not sick, but the virus caused so pretty severe damage to his lungs apparently, he can't work as his job was physical and he can't keep up breathing wise.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 30th 2020 5:41 am

It is interesting reading the experiences of people around the province for testing.

Some places are walk in and take a bit of time, other places have doctors screening before testing, my area I just had to make an appointment online, answer self screening questions, walk next door, nurse did the test, in and out in less than 10 minutes. No drive thru service though, you have to go inside the urgent care facility.

Revin Kevin Nov 30th 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12941100)
UK is currently at 85 per 100,000 - so similar to Quebec on a whole.

UK now up to 87/100k - interestingly USA death rate is "only" 81/100k.

caretaker Nov 30th 2020 2:55 pm

To compare between the provinces and the states, here for the sheer joy of copy and paste:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033
And now we have twice as many cases as we did on Nov 1:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ov-1-1.5209320

OrangeMango Nov 30th 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12941199)
UK now up to 87/100k - interestingly USA death rate is "only" 81/100k.

At this point, the only answer is the vaccine and how to get ti distributed within countries.

I'd say, it's my guess that the UK and Germany would probably be very quick in organizing that, Canada, I don't know, but also bearing in mind that in Canada the land mass is also way bigger.

Siouxie Nov 30th 2020 3:47 pm

Talk about 'scaremongering headlines! https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-c...ling-1.5205259

Ontario could see more than 9,000 new COVID-19 cases per day by end of year: new modelling

Reading the article..

if cases grow at a rate of five per cent, Ontario could see more than 9,000 cases per day by Dec. 30.

Cases of the novel coronavirus in Ontario have been growing at a much lower rate of 0.45 per cent over the past 14 days.

while the province is not modelling a decrease in cases, they are seeing a flat-line trend right now

Danny B Nov 30th 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12941354)
To compare between the provinces and the states, here for the sheer joy of copy and paste:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033
And now we have twice as many cases as we did on Nov 1:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ov-1-1.5209320

This site is really useful for comparing C19 in provinces vs rest of the world

https://bccdc.shinyapps.io/covid19_global_epi_app/

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 30th 2020 5:08 pm

California is the closest to Canada's population, which is why it's at times compared to Canada. California also took and still continues to take some pretty strict restrictions, it wasn't one of the states that ignored the problem, and they shut down major theme parks which are still closed, had mandatory masks for months now, stay at home orders, curfews in some parts, the governor has basically thrown everything he can within his powers. It's pissing people off though, so I think people are overall are simply not complying. Same in BC, sure people wear masks, but they are still doing non-essential travel to ski hills, having birthday parties, other types of gatherings, still had thanksgiving gatherings, likely to have Christmas ones as well.

Government can only do so much, rules wont work if a large enough % of the population don't follow them. Even small gatherings are a risk. There was a family in Vancouver area, they had a 6 person birthday party. Every single one of the people who attended got COVID, 2 in hospital, and 1 in ICU and intubated. They believe the source was a family members spouse, while the family members spouse did not attend, it appears the family member married to said spouse, was asymptomatic and spread it to the others at the small party.

Imagine if it were a 30-40 person party and 1 asymptomatic person showed up.

What I don't get is, if someone in a family is showing symptoms and awaiting test results, what is known about asymptomatic carriers now, why the rest of the family isn't required to isolate, I specifically asked about my wife (who is staying in a show suite where we live as a precaution) and I was told, she did not need to self isolate unless showing symptoms.

My sister never showed symptoms, she spread it to her family and more than half her office, and never showed 1 symptom.

They do now say on the sheet if you test negative but show any symptoms to still self isolate until symptoms resolve, which could be months for me, I got tested to see if I had it as a precaution because of the symptoms but 99% chance its just my usual winter cough/congestion with no known reason that lasts for months sometimes.

Jerseygirl Nov 30th 2020 5:43 pm

I have a cough and allergies/congestion year round...can’t see any point getting tested unless the cough changed drastically and/or I suddenly lost my sense of smell/taste.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 30th 2020 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12941434)
I have a cough and allergies/congestion year round...can’t see any point getting tested unless the cough changed drastically and/or I suddenly lost my sense of smell/taste.

Everyone I know although only 4 of them, who had COVID none lost their smell or taste. But then one wasn't even showing a single symptoms while spreading it around. It's the asymptomatic people that I worry about, they have no idea they spreading it, and can cause outbreaks in workplaces and such.

My cough comes and goes, when it was the cough alone I had no concern, but when I got achy on Thursday, and the cough got worse along with the scratchy throat and wheezing sound when I breathe, figure the responsible thing to do was to get tested.

BristolUK Nov 30th 2020 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12941473)
...It's the asymptomatic people that I worry about, they have no idea they spreading it, and can cause outbreaks in workplaces and such...

Our CMO has said all along that we should more or less behave as if we all have it.

New Brunswick's numbers have been going up at a much higher rate than previously. I've just been looking back to see when we reached 200 and it was 25th September. The first 'presumptive' case was 11th March so 28 weeks to reach 200. About 30 of those were tracked to one person :ohmy: and then the numbers tailed off so it's not like they progressed gradually.

Less than 10 weeks later and we broke 500.