British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 7th 2020 5:36 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
There will be a 1pm news conference Sat. Kind of sounds like it won't just be an update so might be some closures coming.

Danny B Nov 7th 2020 2:43 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12932127)
There will be a 1pm news conference Sat. Kind of sounds like it won't just be an update so might be some closures coming.

Bad news should never be given on a weekend.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 7th 2020 7:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12932267)
Bad news should never be given on a weekend.

Shall find out soon.

Stumpylegs Nov 7th 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12932267)
Bad news should never be given on a weekend.

Didn't stop Bojo telling us last week( 2 hours later than he planned too).

Think Trump received some bad news on a Saturday today, mid round of golf!

Canada seems to be on somewhat of a steady upward trend for overall cases, double in daily cases over the last month, which is roughly double the previous month - guess the question is as everyone moves further indoors, are current infection growth rates acceptable (circa 12000 daily cases by January) - or is more required? I guess even some some of the smaller cities are only a house party, large family gathering or the like away from an explosion of cases.


scrubbedexpat091 Nov 7th 2020 8:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
567 cases announced. (411 Fraser Health, 122 Vancouver Coastal, 3 Van. Island, 22 Interior and 9 Northern)

A little over 100 in hospital now.

Transmission in a number of workplaces including retail, car dealerships, indoor physical activity, food service, and food processing.

Transmission in private settings and healthcare facilities.

Worrying increase in people requiring hospital and ICU care.

Need to take action to avoid serious consequences.

New Health Orders Issued to last for 2 weeks from today for Vancouver Coastal health and Fraser Health.

4 areas social gatherings, travel, group indoor activities and workplace safety.

All business and work sites must have adequate COVID safety plans, and bylaw and Work Safe BC will be in charge of enforcing.

No social gatherings of any size except those you live with.

Funerals and Weddings immidiete household only, no receptions at homes or public places.

Travel strong recommending essential travel only. Those in FH and VCH should not travel outside their region, and others from elsewhere should not travel to FH and VCH

Businesses, recreation that operate indoor activities must stop holding these activities. Spin, yoga, group fitness, dance classes and such.

Indoor sports where distancing cannot be maintained are suspended for next 2 weeks, school based sports not included.

Workplace Safety, all workplaces must conduct COVID daily screenings. All workers and customers must maintain social distancing, wear masks where appropriate, seeing virus spread in work settings, COVID safety plans not being followed in workplaces. Local medial health officers will shut non-compliant business down who cannot maintain COVID safety plans.

Asking businesses to work from home whenever possible.

Active inspections will be increased in FH and VCH.



More to come.....Paraphrased from the live update.









scrubbedexpat091 Nov 7th 2020 9:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
My guess if things don't improve in the next 2 weeks, expect more restrictive measures.

Article for today's news conference.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...urge-1.5793969


Jerseygirl Nov 7th 2020 11:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
1132 new cases yesterday in Ontario...highest ever. 19 deaths. :(

Shard Nov 8th 2020 3:17 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Death rate :unsure: (per million):

Australia 35
Canada 277
UK 719


scrubbedexpat091 Nov 8th 2020 3:41 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932633)
Death rate :unsure: (per million):

Australia 35
Canada 277
UK 719


Our Health Minister and Health Officer was asked about Australia today and if we could do the same, they didn't say yes or no, but they did say it would be more difficult since we are not an Island, and of course provinces have 0 control over the international land border.



Shard Nov 8th 2020 3:53 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12932653)
Our Health Minister and Health Officer was asked about Australia today and if we could do the same, they didn't say yes or no, but they did say it would be more difficult since we are not an Island, and of course provinces have 0 control over the international land border.

Watching from overseas, I find it slightly frustrating that the Canadian stats tend to be presented on a provincial level. BTW Britain is an island too - it doesn't seem to have protected us against an incompetent government.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 8th 2020 4:06 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932660)
Watching from overseas, I find it slightly frustrating that the Canadian stats tend to be presented on a provincial level. BTW Britain is an island too - it doesn't seem to have protected us against an incompetent government.

You do need competent government + the other factors.

Canada like the US is most of this stuff is at the provincial level.


Shard Nov 8th 2020 4:34 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12932664)
You do need competent government + the other factors.

Canada like the US is most of this stuff is at the provincial level.

What's Cali's death rate?

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 8th 2020 5:14 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932675)
What's Cali's death rate?


https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

According to the above website as of this posting, 455 per 1 million.

Jerseygirl Nov 8th 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Yikes!!! 1328 cases in Ontario yesterday, 434 in Toronto. No new deaths announced yet.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...onto-1.5179909

Siouxie Nov 8th 2020 3:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12932834)
Yikes!!! 1328 cases in Ontario yesterday, 434 in Toronto. No new deaths announced yet.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...onto-1.5179909

That's not good to read :( I wonder how many of those that have tested positive have any symptoms / are ill, though? Any increase in tests is going to result in more positive / negative results, but are they symptomatic or asymptomatic... wish they would give those details too!

For example, Several of the staff of a local restaurant were tested as positive but none were actually ill (my son knows them, was updated by phone, several times).. they were tested not because they were feeling ill, but because of exposure to someone who had been somewhere where someone else had tested positive (a spin class).. and the app had alerted them to get tested.

Makes you wonder... are the numbers reflective of people who are ill - are they really as bad as ithey appear?

When you consider the numbers of 'positive' tests compare to the hospital admissions.. it makes you wonder.


Number of active cases - 319
Number of total cases* - 2,117
Change from previous posting - +72
Number of deaths – 53 (3%)
Number of cases resolved – 1,743 (82%)
Number of cases ever hospitalized - 172 (8%)

Number of patients with confirmed COVID-19 we are currently caring for in our hospital (Hamilton Health Sciences): 5
Number of COVID-19 patients St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton is currently caring for in hospital - 2
:confused:

Jerseygirl Nov 8th 2020 4:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12932875)
That's not good to read :( I wonder how many of those that have tested positive have any symptoms / are ill, though? Any increase in tests is going to result in more positive / negative results, but are they symptomatic or asymptomatic... wish they would give those details too!

For example, Several of the staff of a local restaurant were tested as positive but none were actually ill (my son knows them, was updated by phone, several times).. they were tested not because they were feeling ill, but because of exposure to someone who had been somewhere where someone else had tested positive (a spin class).. and the app had alerted them to get tested.

Makes you wonder... iare the numbers reflective of people who are ill - are they really as bad as ithey appear?
:confused:

looks like under 40K tested...which I think is pretty average. That’s the problem...they don’t state the severity. Seems the age group 20-39 have the most cases.

Shard Nov 8th 2020 4:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12932685)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

According to the above website as of this posting, 455 per 1 million.

Thanks. That's the website I use. I didn't know you could drill down on the figures.

Shard Nov 8th 2020 4:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12932875)
That's not good to read :( I wonder how many of those that have tested positive have any symptoms / are ill, though? Any increase in tests is going to result in more positive / negative results, but are they symptomatic or asymptomatic... wish they would give those details too!

For example, Several of the staff of a local restaurant were tested as positive but none were actually ill (my son knows them, was updated by phone, several times).. they were tested not because they were feeling ill, but because of exposure to someone who had been somewhere where someone else had tested positive (a spin class).. and the app had alerted them to get tested.

Makes you wonder... are the numbers reflective of people who are ill - are they really as bad as ithey appear?

When you consider the numbers of 'positive' tests compare to the hospital admissions.. it makes you wonder.

:confused:

I tend to focus on the more morbid stats (death rate) for exactly this reason, tests and infections are very hard to measure and compare. Hospital admissions seem to be a good measure too.


Jerseygirl Nov 8th 2020 4:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932905)
I tend to focus on the more morbid stats (death rate) for exactly this reason, tests and infections are very hard to measure and compare. Hospital admissions seem to be a good measure too.

I agree. :nod:

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 8th 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932902)
Thanks. That's the website I use. I didn't know you could drill down on the figures.

Yeah they do for the US. They don't break it down by province in Canada which is annoying.

If your curious about BC and want to do the math as of 4:30pm Friday BC has had 275 total deaths, population is 5 million.

Total cases 17,149


Stumpylegs Nov 8th 2020 6:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932905)
I tend to focus on the more morbid stats (death rate) for exactly this reason, tests and infections are very hard to measure and compare. Hospital admissions seem to be a good measure too.

Trouble is with all stat, they are being counted differently - I tend to think a trending up or down of cases as being semi good at tracking a countries response, if no other variables change.

Would be good to have stats of deaths of folk with no co-morbidities, but think that might cause the governments a real headache.

Trouble is COVID ripping through a care home, hospice, or hospital may cause a huge spike in death rates - but doesn't tell you really how many folk have died prematurely as opposed to those that were already terminally ill and very close to end of life.

Likewise with the UK model - its apparently only counted if you tested positive within the last 28 days, so questionably someone on ventilator for 6 + weeks and then dying wouldn't count. But likewise you could be admitted to hospital with kidney failure, test positive whilst inside due an outbreak on the ward, remain asymptomatic to COVID, but die of kidney failure and end up with COVID being counted.

Big worry is what happens in the US now, their new case are growing at circa 25% per week, that's pre rally/protest/party and pre thanksgiving, could easily be seeing 250,000 new cases a day by mid-December, possibly sooner. Of course the question is will herd immunity be a thing, and how far off it are the they?


Shard Nov 8th 2020 6:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12932918)
Yeah they do for the US. They don't break it down by province in Canada which is annoying.

If your curious about BC and want to do the math as of 4:30pm Friday BC has had 275 total deaths, population is 5 million.

Total cases 17,149

Thanks. I sometimes check the Gov Canada site which is extremely good.

BristolUK Nov 8th 2020 7:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12932905)
I tend to focus on the more morbid stats (death rate) for exactly this reason, tests and infections are very hard to measure and compare. Hospital admissions seem to be a good measure too.

Here in New Brunswick our figures remain very low. There's been the usual "not enough testing" and claims that "the number of cases will be higher with more testing".

So there was a bit of an outbreak up on the border with Quebec. Miraculously :rolleyes: it happened when the quarantine restrictions were lifted for people crossing that border and it's eased following reimposition of some of them. But that's another story. :whistle:

A couple of weeks ago they ran a testing exercise over the weekend in that area. No referrals necessary, no questions to establish a need, just turn up and get tested.
2500 turned up and got tested. Way in excess of the norm for the whole province in this one small area. 2 positive results.

Of course it's entirely possible that anyone thinking their symptoms might be covid stayed away because if they really had it they may have to reveal how they'd broken regulations.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 9th 2020 1:06 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Gift shop owner has turned part of his store into a "truth center" for COVID and asks people not to wear masks in his store and to think of the harm mask wearing may do to yourself or others.

Interior Health says they will send a public health officials will follow up with the owner, who also has no safety protocols in place and say's he has never been inspected, well I bet he is gonna see an inspection now.....

spouse of scouse Nov 9th 2020 1:27 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12933140)
Gift shop owner has turned part of his store into a "truth center" for COVID and asks people not to wear masks in his store and to think of the harm mask wearing may do to yourself or others.

Interior Health says they will send a public health officials will follow up with the owner, who also has no safety protocols in place and say's he has never been inspected, well I bet he is gonna see an inspection now.....

We love you and respectfully appeal, by way of 1000’s of research papers, that you consider the harm that you may be causing yourself and others, by way of wearing a mask. We therefore encourage that -
Mask wearing is prohibited in this establishment

He's a tad confused isn't he? He can't work out if he's respectfully appealing, encouraging, prohibiting, or just loving. Silly Twat Marketing 101.


Danny B Nov 9th 2020 2:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Some great news this morning about a 90% effective vaccine being developed :fingerscrossed:


Revin Kevin Nov 9th 2020 2:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12933386)
Some great news this morning about a 90% effective vaccine being developed :fingerscrossed:

That is indeed good news but on the same day we hear that a new type of Covid has sprung up in Denmark!

Siouxie Nov 9th 2020 2:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12933395)
That is indeed good news but on the same day we hear that a new type of Covid has sprung up in Denmark!

I hate that they are culling millions of mink, because a mutant strain was found on a mink farm.

Denmark will cull all its mink - as many as 17 million - after a mutated form of coronavirus that can spread to humans was found on mink farms.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54818615

Danny B Nov 9th 2020 2:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12933395)
That is indeed good news but on the same day we hear that a new type of Covid has sprung up in Denmark!

The 'Dane Flu' has a certain ring to it.

Jingsamichty Nov 9th 2020 2:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
What does Denmark need 17 million mink for?

spouse of scouse Nov 9th 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12933442)
What does Denmark need 17 million mink for?

Mink farming is a big industry in Denmark.

Around 60 mink equals one mink fur coat.

The mink were always going to be killed. The real tragedy is that they were bred at all for such a frivolous purpose.

Jingsamichty Nov 9th 2020 3:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Wow. That's 283,000 coats worth of mink. I had no idea fur coats were still being produced in allegedly civilised societies.

spouse of scouse Nov 9th 2020 3:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12933448)
Wow. That's 283,000 coats worth of mink. I had no idea fur coats were still being produced in allegedly civilised societies.

Sickening, isn't it.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 9th 2020 3:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12933386)
Some great news this morning about a 90% effective vaccine being developed :fingerscrossed:

Looks like they aim to apply for US approval by end of the month.

50 million could be produced by end of year and 1.3 billion by end of 2021.

UK ordered 40 million which is sufficient to cover 20 million people.

Boy does it ever have to be kept cold- "the vaccines must be kept at -80C temperatures."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...anity-12128452



UK priority will be people who work and live in care homes followed by elderly and clinically vulnerable.







Danny B Nov 9th 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12933493)
Looks like they aim to apply for US approval by end of the month.

50 million could be produced by end of year and 1.3 billion by end of 2021.

UK ordered 40 million which is sufficient to cover 20 million people.

Boy does it ever have to be kept cold- "the vaccines must be kept at -80C temperatures."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...anity-12128452



UK priority will be people who work and live in care homes followed by elderly and clinically vulnerable.

Same in Canada

Canada released guidance on COVID19 vaccine rollout, prioritizing:

1. Those at high risk of severe illness.

2. Those most likely to transmit to high-risk individuals & workers essential to maintaining the COVID19 response.

3. Other essential workers.

https://t.co/uOUy4BmcIR?amp=1

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 9th 2020 4:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
<<SNIP>>>


Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12933543)
Same in Canada

Canada released guidance on COVID19 vaccine rollout, prioritizing:

1. Those at high risk of severe illness.

2. Those most likely to transmit to high-risk individuals & workers essential to maintaining the COVID19 response.

3. Other essential workers.

https://t.co/uOUy4BmcIR?amp=1


Likely the same in most countries, I suspect regular folk may not see it until 2022.

Jerseygirl Nov 9th 2020 4:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Sorry. I posted a political comment that could take this thread off topic. I thought this was the US 2020 election thread. Apologies. :o

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 9th 2020 6:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Porter has extended its suspension until February. They suspended service in March due to COVID, and have extended it several times, if they do indeed fly again in February they will have been grounded for almost 1 year.

https://www.cp24.com/news/porter-air...2021-1.5180744

Zoe Bell Nov 9th 2020 6:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
it is so sad to see the planes just lined up along R24. I can see them from my work desk. :(

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 9th 2020 7:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12933610)
it is so sad to see the planes just lined up along R24. I can see them from my work desk. :(

It is indeed, and all the jobs lost.

My old workplace is still management only, they have gained a couple fights back, but they are still like 95% less vs normal.



All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.