British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

caretaker Sep 27th 2020 9:55 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Saskatchewan reported 15 new cases of of the novel coronavirus on Sunday with total cases reaching 1,878.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7362691/c...t-27-covid-19/

Pulaski Sep 28th 2020 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12915131)
Also doesn't help when a so called medical professional does something like this, resulting in 26 deaths. ....

In my humble opinion, medical professionals are not as special as many people try to give them credit for and they're every bit as capable as making stupid decisions as the rest of us, even when they absolutely should have known better.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 28th 2020 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12915242)
In my humble opinion, medical professionals are not as special as many people try to give them credit for and they're every bit as capable as making stupid decisions as the rest of us, even when they absolutely should have known better.

Oh no doubt. At least the nurse appears to have been fired, or forced to resign.

Pulaski Sep 28th 2020 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12915245)
Oh no doubt. At least the nurse appears to have been fired, or forced to resign. But I think they should also at least lose their license to practice.

IMO she should be prosecuted for at least some sort of negligent homicide - her actions were in late April, so she would have had actual knowledge about the disease and the mortality rate for elderly and sick residents. Her actions were thoughtless, reckless, arrogant, and grossly unprofessional, and if she was in the US she and her employer would no doubt be facing a list of civil suits that would bankrupt her and her employer. As a bare minimum she deserves to be disqualified from practicing.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 28th 2020 3:28 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12915106)
Probably the same as H1N1 but with lessons learned.

I don't even know what they did during H1N1, I don't recall anything special being done vaccine wise. But I didn't pay much attention to H1N1 either.

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12915098)
For this reason, and for the first time in 18+ months of the the immigration process. I am actually starting to consider whether my move to Canada is a viable one at all, or whether I should just forget it and stay in the UK.

It's hard to know these days, things can change so quickly month to month.

Jingsamichty Sep 28th 2020 7:11 am

A friend went to the supermarket yesterday - she said there was no toilet roll or pasta left. Frankly, I wish coronavirus was a bit more selectively lethal on selfish idiots.

Jerseygirl Sep 28th 2020 2:33 pm

Yesterday 700 new cases of Covid in Ontario...1/2 are in Toronto.

thegolfer Sep 28th 2020 2:54 pm

Here's Confirmed Daily cases graph compared with Daily Deaths graph......Confirmed Daily cases graph alone does look impressively alarming...but then the deaths are just not keeping pace like earlier in the pandemic.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...37b20a2ac1.png

DeanN Sep 28th 2020 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by thegolfer (Post 12915412)
Here's Confirmed Daily cases graph compared with Daily Deaths graph......Confirmed Daily cases graph alone does look impressively alarming...but then the deaths are just not keeping pace like earlier in the pandemic.

Probably because the number of confirmed cases back in spring were a fraction of the actual infection rate (I've seen estimates of perhaps up to 100k daily, although I don't know how you'd arrive at any accurate figure).

thegolfer Sep 28th 2020 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by DeanN (Post 12915422)
Probably because the number of confirmed cases back in spring were a fraction of the actual infection rate (I've seen estimates of perhaps up to 100k daily, although I don't know how you'd arrive at any accurate figure).

So whats that got to do with the consistently minimal daily Death Rate since June? Covid for weeks now only accounts for between 1-2% of the Normal daily deaths in the U.K

Nand Sep 28th 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12915249)
IMO she should be prosecuted for at least some sort of negligent homicide - her actions were in late April, so she would have had actual knowledge about the disease and the mortality rate for elderly and sick residents. Her actions were thoughtless, reckless, arrogant, and grossly unprofessional, and if she was in the US she and her employer would no doubt be facing a list of civil suits that would bankrupt her and her employer. As a bare minimum she deserves to be disqualified from practicing.

There appears to be a lot of negligent homicide with Covid19 disease these days!

Danny B Sep 28th 2020 5:48 pm

Jesus, bit harsh innit? Can't meet your parents in the local cafe for a bacon sarnie.

He said mixing between households in any indoor setting, which people are currently advised to avoid, will be against the law from Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-54331421

Pulaski Sep 28th 2020 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by thegolfer (Post 12915412)
Here's Confirmed Daily cases graph compared with Daily Deaths graph......Confirmed Daily cases graph alone does look impressively alarming...but then the deaths are just not keeping pace like earlier in the pandemic. .....

Originally Posted by DeanN (Post 12915422)

To be blunt, the first wave wiped out most of the oldest an weakest, and now there are more rigorous restrictions in place to reduce the risk of the remaining elderly and sick in care homes from catching covid-19 in the second wave.

The second wave is characterised by "community spread" amoung the younger and middle-aged population, most notably in schools, colleges and universities, who are bored with the restrictions that they don't understand .... mostly because the restrictions are not explained/ justified, and in some case seem to be capricious to the point that they seem to be almost random. I mean, who thought up "the pubs must close at 10pm" restriction? So it's OK to sit indoors in a pub with your mates for three hours, but leaving the pub an hour earlier will have a material impact on whether you are infected with covid-19? Seriously, how is that going to make a scrap of difference? :confused:

Rete Sep 28th 2020 10:23 pm

Too many people have the medical professional on pedestals. They forget they are humans with only a few additional years of education under their belt and are not infallible.

For example, hubby's dermatologist prescribed an expensive antibiotic for him on Friday because of an infection on his skin from a toxin in our yard. Did so ignoring his listed prescriptions and the antibiotic cannot be taken with his blood thinner.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 28th 2020 10:52 pm

267 cases over the weekend in BC and 3 deaths.

68 Fri to Sat
125 between Sat and Sun
74 between Sunday and Monday

"The best thing we can do is — all of us — is to take a step back from our social interactions," said Dr. Henry, as she reminded British Columbians to travel less and connect with others virtually.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...r-28-1.5742236

MillieF Sep 28th 2020 11:06 pm

I hope to not make stupid decisions on a daily basis...but I am only human, so I can, and do. These people are tired and fed up and have little or no bandwidth left. How would ‘you’ feel, could you go in on a daily basis? I know that I couldn’t...I have worked face to face and on the phone with a generally more agitated public since this chaos began, but I cannot kill anyone. Give these poor people a break...we are none of us without flaws, and none of us are above tiredness, and doing just the best that we can. Let’s just try to be kind and nice...

BristolUK Sep 28th 2020 11:18 pm

SD gets on the bus to go to work today. A woman gets on after and sits behind her and lowers her mask to talk to her companion.

Apparently the woman's boy has been ill with covid symptoms and was just tested, no result yet.

She's on the bus (wrong) because she's going to work (wrong)..
:rolleyes:

printer Sep 28th 2020 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12915479)
Jesus, bit harsh innit? Can't meet your parents in the local cafe for a bacon sarnie.

He said mixing between households in any indoor setting, which people are currently advised to avoid, will be against the law from Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-54331421

Seems at odds to what's happening on the streets after pubs close. Hundreds pouring onto the streets searching for off licenses or shops selling booze so they can carry on partying. Police can only do so much with that number of people, good luck trying to arrest and fine a few hundred drunk revelers and god forbid if some happen to be of ethnic minority. :ohmy:
Guess you are ok as long as you only look across the bar at your neighbour but just don't speak to him.

Pulaski Sep 29th 2020 2:11 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12915629)
I hope to not make stupid decisions on a daily basis...but I am only human, so I can, and do. These people are tired and fed up and have little or no bandwidth left. How would ‘you’ feel, could you go in on a daily basis? I know that I couldn’t...I have worked face to face and on the phone with a generally more agitated public since this chaos began, but I cannot kill anyone. Give these poor people a break...we are none of us without flaws, and none of us are above tiredness, and doing just the best that we can. Let’s just try to be kind and nice...

I didn't mean to infer that all medical professionals regularly made stupid decisions, but more focus on the fact that this particular one did.

To your general point, I respect medical professionals for the job their doing, becuase I certainly wouldn't want to have to do the face-to-face work during this pandemic. But that brings me back to the reason for my previous post, and how that nurse's behaviour was entirely contrary what Hippocrates wrote in Of the Epidemics: "... first do no harm."

Jingsamichty Sep 29th 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12915635)
Seems at odds to what's happening on the streets after pubs close. Hundreds pouring onto the streets searching for off licenses or shops selling booze so they can carry on partying. Police can only do so much with that number of people, good luck trying to arrest and fine a few hundred drunk revelers and god forbid if some happen to be of ethnic minority. :ohmy:
Guess you are ok as long as you only look across the bar at your neighbour but just don't speak to him.

Completely unnecessary, but speaks volumes about your mindset.

Jingsamichty Sep 29th 2020 7:29 am

Incidentally, I notice that the official UK figures quoted for Covid deaths is now 42,001. Yet, way back in June, the BMJ confirmed that 49,607 people in England & Wales alone had Covid on their death certificate. Add in (say) another 10% for Scotland & NI, and you're at 55,000 Covid deaths in June.

But the official policy now is to count only deaths within 28 days of diagnosis of Covid. Meaning that, for example, if Kate Garraway's husband were to die now, it would not be recorded as a Covid death, despite the fact he's been in a coma for 6 months following Covid infection.

When the government has such a bad reputation for lying, disinformation and mendacity, it's really hard to treat their statistics and guidance seriously.

caretaker Sep 29th 2020 7:41 am

When this started they didn't know that for some people, the first indication of covid-19 infection was having a stroke, so they weren't testing people who died from strokes for the disease. Statistics are updated as more information becomes available; doesn't mean that all incorrect statistics are necessarily lies.

Danny B Sep 29th 2020 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12915713)
Completely unnecessary, but speaks volumes about your mindset.

I'm pretty sure Printer was referring to the evidence on the disproportionate effect of COVID-19 on ethnic minorities and nothing sinister. I recall saying something similar when the BLM protests were taking place across the USA with no face masks or social distancing.

Jingsamichty Sep 29th 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12915919)
I'm pretty sure Printer was referring to the evidence on the disproportionate effect of COVID-19 on ethnic minorities and nothing sinister. I recall saying something similar when the BLM protests were taking place across the USA with no face masks or social distancing.

I don't think so... he was referring to the police "trying to arrest and fine hundreds of drunk revellers and god forbid if some of them happen to be ethnic minorities." Nothing to do with the effects of COVID on certain ethnicities.

mrken30 Sep 29th 2020 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12915245)
Oh no doubt. At least the nurse appears to have been fired, or forced to resign.

This is the problem with paying careworkers minimum wage with little sick time coverage. There must have been a reason for going into work ill.

Siouxie Sep 29th 2020 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12915726)
When this started they didn't know that for some people,the first indication of covid-19 infection was having a stroke, so they weren't testing people who died from strokes for the disease. Statistics are updated as more information becomes available; doesn't mean that all incorrect statistics are necessarily lies.

Not good news for people like me .. with a history of it. :ohmy:

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 29th 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12915931)
This is the problem with paying careworkers minimum wage with little sick time coverage. There must have been a reason for going into work ill.

Health Care aides no doubt don't make enough for what they are expected to do, depending on employer anywhere from $16 to $22 per hour and usually casual employment so the employer doesn't have to pay benefits. Paramedics as well are really underpaid and under appreciated.

This particular case in the article though was a nurse, and they are paid well in BC.

Nursing is a lucrative career in BC.

Danny B Sep 29th 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12915978)
Health Care aides no doubt don't make enough for what they are expected to do, depending on employer anywhere from $16 to $22 per hour and usually casual employment so the employer doesn't have to pay benefits. Paramedics as well are really underpaid and under appreciated.

This particular case in the article though was a nurse, and they are paid well in BC.

Nursing is a lucrative career in BC.

I wonder if they come close to Fire Fighters?

Here in Kamloops they make over $100k

Siouxie Sep 29th 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12915985)

Once they get to their 4th year.. before that it's under $100k :)

Danny B Sep 29th 2020 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12916012)
Once they get to their 4th year.. before that it's under $100k :)

I think it's good that the emergency services get paid so well over here. It's a tough job.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 29th 2020 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12916019)
I think it's good that the emergency services get paid so well over here. It's a tough job.

Just don't become a paramedic, takes a fairly long time to get a permanent full-time position in a big city, gotta spend a lot of time on call and ready to respond for fairly low pay.

BC Paramedics Paid Less Than Minimum Wage

I was doing paramedic training in California before coming to BC, I was doing pretty well, but moved to Canada before finishing, looked into it here, but the on call aspect put me off, couldn't afford to be on call in a small town not knowing how much income would be made month to month.

printer Sep 30th 2020 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12915927)
I don't think so... he was referring to the police "trying to arrest and fine hundreds of drunk revellers and god forbid if some of them happen to be ethnic minorities." Nothing to do with the effects of COVID on certain ethnicities.

And your problem with this is?

Jingsamichty Sep 30th 2020 7:50 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12916147)
And your problem with this is?

If a crowd of people are drunk and not following social distancing rules, why do you think that the ethnicity of some of them is a factor for the police to consider?

Stumpylegs Sep 30th 2020 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12915985)

doesn't mention hours etc. I don't think its an unfair wage compared to what you can make in the trades (typically a similar demographic applying for the roles) - going to guess most firefighters aren't lacking in courage, drive etc and pride themselves on doing the right thing not the easy thing - typically i like to think those people get quite far in life, regardless of their decision to be a firefighter or not.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12915718)
Incidentally, I notice that the official UK figures quoted for Covid deaths is now 42,001. Yet, way back in June, the BMJ confirmed that 49,607 people in England & Wales alone had Covid on their death certificate. Add in (say) another 10% for Scotland & NI, and you're at 55,000 Covid deaths in June.

But the official policy now is to count only deaths within 28 days of diagnosis of Covid. Meaning that, for example, if Kate Garraway's husband were to die now, it would not be recorded as a Covid death, despite the fact he's been in a coma for 6 months following Covid infection.

When the government has such a bad reputation for lying, disinformation and mendacity, it's really hard to treat their statistics and guidance seriously.

Its within 28 days of a positive COVID test - so if Mr Garraway has had a reswab to check whether he is still testing positive, he would be counted, I don't fully blame the government around the whole thing as the problem is we don't know the long term health complications for non lethal COVID cases this coupled with the very low number of deaths with no other illnesses, and I'm unsure whether COVID is worth worrying about or not.

on the one hand COVID contributed to their death, but likewise how many were terminally ill, or died not due to COVID but had a positive test - you also question the harm to mental and physical health that the lockdown and continuing restrictions have caused. Aside from the whole mental wellbeing, decline in health due to social interaction, and missed routine medical appointments, personally i put on over 15kg in lockdown, I'm still carrying 10kg of it now - restrictions on dog walking, the inability to travel for exercise, gyms being shut and boredom led to rapid weight gain - for me it'll be back off by Christmas if things stay open, but others may have gained that weight for good.

Pulaski Sep 30th 2020 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12916216)
If a crowd of people are drunk and not following social distancing rules, why do you think that the ethnicity of some of them is a factor for the police to consider?

The police need to know whether to deploy their kid gloves. :nod:

magnumpi Sep 30th 2020 2:24 pm

Ontario is surging into a second wave

Jerseygirl Sep 30th 2020 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12916349)
Ontario is surging into a second wave

The Premier said a few days ago we had entered the second wave and predicted it will be worse than the first.

625 cases reported today...approx half are in Toronto.

Siouxie Sep 30th 2020 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12916389)
The Premier said a few days ago we had entered the second wave and it predicted he will be worse than the first.

625 cases reported today...approx half are in Toronto.

Eeek! Stay safe JG.....

caretaker Sep 30th 2020 4:57 pm

In Sask 7 new cases, 18 recoveries, 138 active cases.REGIONALLY:
  • Two active cases from the far north area (one far north west, one far north east)
  • Five active cases from the north area (zero north west, four north central, one north east)
  • 68 active cases from the Saskatoon area
  • 30 active cases from the Regina area
  • 26 active cases from the central area (eight central west, five central east)
  • Seven active cases from the south area (three south west, four south central, five south east)
A total of 1,447 COVID-19 tests were conducted in the province on Monday.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 30th 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12916317)
doesn't mention hours etc. I don't think its an unfair wage compared to what you can make in the trades (typically a similar demographic applying for the roles) - going to guess most firefighters aren't lacking in courage, drive etc and pride themselves on doing the right thing not the easy thing - typically i like to think those people get quite far in life, regardless of their decision to be a firefighter or not..

This is the typical schedule for firefighters in Vancouver.

"Vancouver firefighters work on an eight day schedule with an average of 42 hours per week. The schedule includes two day shifts of 10 hours and two night shifts of 14 hours followed by four days off."

The pay in Vancouver is s $69,204 for the first 6 months, and then goes up from there, $98,868 when reaching their 4th year and $104,796 at 15 years.

All before any over-time of course.

I can't find working hours for Kamloops.