British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

spouse of scouse Feb 29th 2020 7:41 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Just to be clear the only problem I had with the lad was his complete lack of hygiene :)

sharkus Feb 29th 2020 3:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12813611)
I've never had paid sick days in Canada, and employers have generally not been good about missing work, and sick call policies not understanding that people sometimes get sick and then they wonder why everyone at work is sick..well we can't afford to miss work, so we come to work sick, and we also don't want to get written up so we come to work sick. I've had co-workers come in with fevers because they can't afford to miss work or they dont want to be written up for missing a couple days.

All the jobs I had in California had paid sick days, anywhere from 3 to 7 a year, when I first moved to Canada, I was surprised sick days were not the norm.

That's odd, I'd have assumed it'd be the other way round when it came to sick days. I was actually about to post saying that I wonder if the difference in healthcare in canada vs the usa would be a factor in what happens. My point was going to be that a great deal more people in the usa would come into work sick, as they cannot take a sick day due to not being paid, and also the risk of not having a job due to missing a days work.

Danny B Feb 29th 2020 3:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
My Sister and her young family live in Haslemere, Surrey.

The latest patient diagnosed with the coronavirus in England is the first to catch it in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51683428

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 29th 2020 4:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
My sister just posted on FB that her company is having everyone in the office work from home, only the warehouse workers (where her husband works) need to go in as their job can't be done remotely.


sharkus Feb 29th 2020 8:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
We were told last week that all corporate travel within the group of companies, that is non-urgent and non-essential, is barred until further notice. That includes travel to / from Canada to the US office as well.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 29th 2020 10:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
3 more cases in Ontario, linked to travel from Iran.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6613790/3...67Y95FLnOIs-kM

Not good, Washington state may have an outbreak in a facility that cares for seniors and vulnerable patients, one a staff member in her 40's and the other a resident in her 70's, but are in another hospital being treated. The staff member is in satisfactory condition and the senior is in serious condition.

50 patients and staff at the facility showing symptoms.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ak-at-facility

DaveLovesDee Feb 29th 2020 10:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12813942)
Washington state may have an outbreak in a facility that cares for seniors and vulnerable patients, one a staff member in her 40's and the other a resident in her 70's, but are in another hospital being treated. The staff member is in satisfactory condition and the senior is in serious condition.

50 patients and staff at the facility showing symptoms.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ak-at-facility

You'd think given the widespread media coverage, that anyone travelling back from high-risk areas would quarantine themselves and seek medical attention.

Though as previously mentioned, maybe they couldn't afford the loss of pay or the cost of treatment.

Oink Feb 29th 2020 11:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Proud of my granddad and my other nan.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...834de71fd0.png

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 1st 2020 2:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12813954)
You'd think given the widespread media coverage, that anyone travelling back from high-risk areas would quarantine themselves and seek medical attention.

Though as previously mentioned, maybe they couldn't afford the loss of pay or the cost of treatment.

It appears to be in the community now in several locations in the US, so now it may get tricky, if one wakes up feeling unwell is it a cold, flu this corona virus?

My wife started a new job today of the persons in the office is sick with a bad cold, hasn't traveled but is it just a cold? No way to know.


Danny B Mar 1st 2020 4:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12813992)
It appears to be in the community now in several locations in the US, so now it may get tricky, if one wakes up feeling unwell is it a cold, flu this corona virus?

My wife started a new job today of the persons in the office is sick with a bad cold, hasn't traveled but is it just a cold? No way to know.

I have noticed at my place of work that these new signs to help differentiate between a common cold and the flu are being put up.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a5e26a7923.jpg

spouse of scouse Mar 1st 2020 6:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12814270)
I have noticed at my place of work that these new signs to help differentiate between a common cold and the flu are being put up.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a5e26a7923.jpg

That sign only needs two lines.
If you're a woman, it's a cold.
If you're a man, it's the flu.

:getcoat:

DaveLovesDee Mar 1st 2020 6:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12814312)
That sign only needs two lines.
If you're a woman, it's a cold.
If you're a man, it's the flu.

:getcoat:

And for us adults, it's just another Sunday....

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 1st 2020 7:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
The flu is certainly easier to tell from a cold, at least the times I likely had the flu, fever, chills, felt like freight train hit me, all I wanted to do was sleep, barely ate, it was certainly nothing like a typical cold.

This corona virus though is certainly more tricky since it appears to mimic the common cold symptoms in many people, how many routinely go to the doctor for a mild cold?


caretaker Mar 1st 2020 8:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12814321)
how many routinely go to the doctor for a mild cold?

I don't go until I'm blowing bright green, and then a course of antibiotics clears it up.
Over the past 5 years since I started getting the flu shot at 60 I rarely get that sick.

Jingsamichty Mar 1st 2020 9:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Last year I went to the doctor and they asked me to register as a new patient... it had been 20 years since the last time I went.

DaveLovesDee Mar 1st 2020 9:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
My missus knows when I'm really sick, cause I'll tell her I'll call for a doctor's appt. I busted my knee a while back and spent a week taking cocodomol and ibruprofen for the pain and swelling before I'd agree to seeing thedoctor.

dave_j Mar 1st 2020 11:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12814359)
My missus knows when I'm really sick, cause I'll tell her I'll call for a doctor's appt. I busted my knee a while back and spent a week taking cocodomol and ibruprofen for the pain and swelling before I'd agree to seeing thedoctor.

In the time of the coronavirus, visiting any health establishment carries a double edged risk.
On the one hand you're feeling like s**t so you'd like to know whether you're going to die.
On the other hand you might be ok but there'll be other people, also feeling poorly, one of whom might kill you.
Tricky...
But... You're a social animal and you know that if the bug's got you then you have a social responsibility to stay hidden for a few weeks until it goes away.
But... You'd rather not die at home so you call the authorities and ask them for advice. They tell you to stay put and call if you're really bad.
But... How do you know when you're really bad?
Tricky...
But... You'd really like to join the world so you call health central and ask to be tested.
Tricky...
In fact there's a little too much about this crisis that can be safely decribed as Tricky...

MillieF Mar 2nd 2020 1:23 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12814353)
I don't go until I'm blowing bright green, and then a course of antibiotics clears it up.
Over the past 5 years since I started getting the flu shot at 60 I rarely get that sick.

I moan about not having a doctor here, of course, but I wouldn't see one if I had one...thankfully I haven't, so I didn't.

Danny B Mar 2nd 2020 1:26 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Decent map of the reported cases so far

https://bit.ly/32Dd3gC


scrubbedexpat091 Mar 2nd 2020 3:36 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
King County/Seattle area has reported additional cases, and another death.

They are all residents of the nursing facility that was in the news yesterday, the death was a male in his 70's with underlying health issues, the other 3 are a female in her 80's, a female in her 90's and a male in his 70's, all have underlying health issues and are in hospital in critical condition.


Siouxie Mar 2nd 2020 5:51 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
McMaster Uni has a suspected case.. awaiting test results. :(
https://dailynews.mcmaster.ca/articl...irus-update-3/

caretaker Mar 2nd 2020 5:54 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
NASA photographs the decrease in pollution over China caused by lockdown of Wuhan and surrounding Hubei Province from space:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?...stId=1.4833888

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 2nd 2020 9:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Seattle area being fairly close to Vancouver, this is getting a little concerning.

12 new cases and now 6 have died, one in his 40's.

In Kirkland area 25 firefighters and 2 police officers are in quarantine.



https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...er-coronavirus

Danny B Mar 2nd 2020 10:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12814971)
Seattle area being fairly close to Vancouver, this is getting a little concerning.

I'm not at all worried. If I get infected, I'll be sick for a few weeks and make a full recovery. I'm more scared of needles than I am of getting the flu.

CanadaJimmy Mar 2nd 2020 10:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12814971)
Seattle area being fairly close to Vancouver, this is getting a little concerning.

12 new cases and now 6 have died, one in his 40's.

In Kirkland area 25 firefighters and 2 police officers are in quarantine.



https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...er-coronavirus

Indeed, we're going to suffer from America's terrible for-profit public health policy. Costs $3000 to get tested in the US apparently.

dave_j Mar 3rd 2020 3:14 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12815028)
Indeed, we're going to suffer from America's terrible for-profit public health policy. Costs $3000 to get tested in the US apparently.

Quite...
The one thing that 'for profit' health doesn't have is a social 'policy', I almost wrote 'conscience' here but of course conscience doesn't apply where profits are involved.
It's short sighted and costs society as a whole but money, well that's what it's all about isn't it.

spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2020 3:23 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12815028)
Indeed, we're going to suffer from America's terrible for-profit public health policy. Costs $3000 to get tested in the US apparently.

That's a worry. Sorry, I don't know much about health care systems in America, but if people who are on very low incomes are deemed to need testing would they have to come up with $3,000?

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 3rd 2020 4:30 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12815119)
That's a worry. Sorry, I don't know much about health care systems in America, but if people who are on very low incomes are deemed to need testing would they have to come up with $3,000?

Nobody will have to come up with the funds upfront in WA state anyhow, the state is covering the testing costs at the moment, they do say they anticipate being reimbursed, but don't know if they mean via the patient, their insurance or federal government. The test WA state is using apparently costs $2,500 each.

" localities are covering the cost with the expectation of being reimbursed in the future. He said about $3.5 million has been spent in response to the viral outbreak so far."

https://www.seattleweekly.com/news/s...irus-outbreak/









spouse of scouse Mar 3rd 2020 6:05 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12815131)
Nobody will have to come up with the funds upfront in WA state anyhow, the state is covering the testing costs at the moment, they do say they anticipate being reimbursed, but don't know if they mean via the patient, their insurance or federal government. The test WA state is using apparently costs $2,500 each.

" localities are covering the cost with the expectation of being reimbursed in the future. He said about $3.5 million has been spent in response to the viral outbreak so far."

https://www.seattleweekly.com/news/s...irus-outbreak/

While it's good that people don't have to pay the cost up front, if there's a chance that they'll be hit with it later it's going to stop people from voluntarily presenting to health providers if they have symptoms. So those people will not only be at risk themselves, if they have the virus they'll be spreading it everywhere they go. I think that's a disgraceful situation and one that could become very dangerous very quickly for America's people. The virus is a public health emergency, it needs public funds spent if it's going to be contained.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 3rd 2020 6:16 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12815147)
While it's good that people don't have to pay the cost up front, if there's a chance that they'll be hit with it later it's going to stop people from voluntarily presenting to health providers if they have symptoms. So those people will not only be at risk themselves, if they have the virus they'll be spreading it everywhere they go. I think that's a disgraceful situation and one that could become very dangerous very quickly for America's people. The virus is a public health emergency, it needs public funds spent if it's going to be contained.

I am hoping the mentioning of recoup the cost means from the federal government. It just isn't clear enough in the article to be certain.

It would be nice if the US had a universal system, its just not going to happen until there is massive public pressure and so far there isn't enough pressure from the public.


Jerseygirl Mar 3rd 2020 9:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Not really noticed any panic buying in Toronto until today. Costco had no water, toilet rolls, kitchen towel, tissues left. They had obviously stocked up with pasta and sauce.

There was a guy at the door handing out Clorox antiseptic wipes to everyone to wipe the cart handle and there were dozens of containers around the store for people to wipe their hands. Kudos to Costco. :thumbsup:

Danny B Mar 3rd 2020 9:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I didn't realize that the Corona virus gave people the shits, that explains the panic toilet paper buying. I had better go buy some myself.

That lady at 1m23 is digging deep.


scrubbedexpat091 Mar 3rd 2020 10:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Toilet paper seems to be a hot commodity at the moment. I keep seeing posts from Seattle about this.

Doesn't help that health people in charge keep saying low risk, you probably wont catch it, but you should still stock up on things just in case.

Upside that this is retailers usually have a slow 1st quarter, so this might boost retail sales, downside is its hurting airlines and hotels, so probably no real gain in the end overall.

Of the new cases in Seattle area, 2 are males in their 20's and requiring hospitalization. 9 deaths now.

https://komonews.com/news/local/7th-...t-sound-region





CanadaJimmy Mar 3rd 2020 10:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12815653)
I didn't realize that the Corona virus gave people the shits, that explains the panic toilet paper buying. I had better go buy some myself.

Not to be graphic but when I have diarrhea the last thing I want is to use is dry toilet paper, I'm using the shower and blasting that area clean. Not to mention using toilet paper probably increases the risk of spreading the virus if you don't wash your hands thoroughly enough.

BristolUK Mar 3rd 2020 11:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12815653)

Is that what Costco stores are like, all warehousy?

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 3rd 2020 11:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12815697)
Is that what Costco stores are like, all warehousy?

Yes, just a giant warehouse really is all they are.


scrubbedexpat091 Mar 4th 2020 3:11 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
4 new cases in BC, all linked to either travel or contact with a previously announced case.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6624856/b...pdate-tuesday/

dave_j Mar 4th 2020 4:13 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
So... it's a train crash and the US medical system is making it worse.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...lls-government
You won't detect people with the virus unless you test for it, but who's going to volunteer if they're going to be charged $3000.
No wonder there are so few test positives in a land where 40% of americans don't have $400 for emergency expenses..
https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-america...ry?id=63253846
Like I say, it's a train crash...

caretaker Mar 4th 2020 4:31 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Last night's Daily Show had an item about the drive-through test centres in South Korea, and they questioned why the US, a nation on wheels, wouldn't adopt the program.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 4th 2020 5:00 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12815759)
So... it's a train crash and the US medical system is making it worse.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...lls-government
You won't detect people with the virus unless you test for it, but who's going to volunteer if they're going to be charged $3000.
No wonder there are so few test positives in a land where 40% of americans don't have $400 for emergency expenses..
https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-america...ry?id=63253846
Like I say, it's a train crash...


Doesn't appear its the test itself is being charged, according to your link anyhow, the charges are coming from doctors, hospitals, ambulances and such.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is not billing patients for coronavirus testing"


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:48 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.