British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Jsmth321 Feb 1st 2020 7:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I had chicken pox as a child of the 80's, and bacterial meningitis as an infant of the late 70's and strep throat a couple times along with bronchitis and pneumonia, but never had measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough or any of those, vaccines for those were required for entry to public school plus my parents were not ones to not vaccinate.... No chicken pox vaccine during that era yet, so I had to go through that misery, I was so sick, and my sister barely got sick from it, but me I was covered head to toe and my mom put in the bath tub and literally poured that pink lotion over me as I had so many pox blisters, it was horrible.

I assume I had the polio vaccine as well, never been tested for immunity for polio and have no vaccine records as they are long lost, but I assume it was still being given in 1979/1980.



Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12799937)
As a child of the 50's I had whooping cough, scarlet fever, scarletina, measles, mumps (twice), german measles (rubella), tonsillitis (now called strep throat apparently) numerous times, as well as ear infection after ear infection.... oh and suspected lockjaw from falling and cutting my leg open on a farm. I've also had chicken pox and meningitis as an adult and I was exposed to TB when our mother had it. Amazing I'm still alive really according to the doom and gloom pro vaccine troops; the only innoculation I ever had was polio vaccine on a sugar lump - a tetanus shot post cut -(and yellow fever and smallpox before I went to Hong Kong) - I had a very nasty bout of Flu A a few years ago, which I was very ill from for weeks and didn't recover for months........ but you know what they say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

I remember being in quarantine when I had whooping cough and scarlet fever - my books from school were collected by the department of health (or whoever) and fumigated - but we were deliberately exposed to whatever 'bug' was going around, in the hope we would catch it and develop immunity.

The only time my dear old Dad got flu was the year he had a flu shot.. :D

I learned about Spanish Flu in history lessons.


caretaker Feb 3rd 2020 3:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
If the Chinese government is covering any cases of the virus up, it could be in the detention camps where a million Uighur people have been kept for political and religious re-education.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6497137/a...tention-camps/

Danny B Feb 3rd 2020 4:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12799913)
I'm sure if I started a thread about farting it'd get around to Brexit sooner or later!

Kinda like 'Godwin's law' but for Brexit instead of Hitler :lol:

spouse of scouse Feb 3rd 2020 4:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12800896)
Kinda like 'Godwin's law' but for Brexit instead of Hitler :lol:

Yep, just like that :lol:

plasticcanuck Feb 3rd 2020 4:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I foresee the day when many nations of the world will have permanent isolation/containment camps, each with its own airfield/hospital facilities. Then sufferers of such medical conditions as this virus can be transported home and more easily quarantined and reducing exposure risks to other members of society.

dave_j Feb 3rd 2020 5:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12800842)
If the Chinese government is covering any cases of the virus up, it could be in the detention camps where a million Uighur people have been kept for political and religious re-education.

It's of course possible that isolation camps such as that described, and of course prisons, will be some of the safer places to be. I wonder at what stage the Uighurs and prisoners will pull up the drawbridge and restrict entry into camps prisons by those charged with the task of preventing escape... or... will they themselves volunteer to be on the inside?

caretaker Feb 3rd 2020 6:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12800944)
It's of course possible that isolation camps such as that described, and of course prisons, will be some of the safer places to be. I wonder at what stage the Uighurs and prisoners will pull up the drawbridge and restrict entry into camps prisons by those charged with the task of preventing escape... or... will they themselves volunteer to be on the inside?

From the documentary I saw they don't have any choices in anything, and since they're underfed and generally not healthy they're probably more susceptible to the virus than the general public.

dave_j Feb 3rd 2020 6:43 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12800979)
From the documentary I saw they don't have any choices in anything, and since they're underfed and generally not healthy they're probably more susceptible to the virus than the general public.

My post was intended to be very slightly tongue in cheek, but for the inmates to be susceptible to the virus the vurus must first enter the institution... best keep it out.

caretaker Feb 3rd 2020 7:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12800994)
best keep it out.

The best way to do that would be to stop rounding them up wholesale off the street and locking them up then.

tumbleweedly Feb 4th 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
The World Health Organization WHO published a mythbusters on the 2019 nCov.
I found it very healpful:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters

Oakvillian Feb 4th 2020 2:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
And, amongst all the genuine (if perhaps slightly overblown) concern about people who actually have the coronavirus infection, there's one idiot who thought it would be amusing to say he had it, while on a Westjet flight to Jamaica yesterday. Of course, the plane's crew had no option but to follow protocol for an infectious disease on board, and turned the plane round for Toronto. The passenger was met by Peel regional police and charged with mischief. I hope he is dinged for at least some of the cost of his folly.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lane-1.5450824

Jsmth321 Feb 5th 2020 12:35 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
BC has 2nd confirmed case, a woman in her 50's. Isolated at home with some family members.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6506297/b...ner_persistant




Danny B Feb 5th 2020 3:36 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Jsmth321 Feb 5th 2020 4:44 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Looks like Canada might be managing to get a fight in bring Canadian's home. Hard to fully figure-out why Canada seems to be having a more difficult and complicated time in doing so compared to the US and other countries.


sharkus Feb 5th 2020 11:50 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12801414)
And, amongst all the genuine (if perhaps slightly overblown) concern about people who actually have the coronavirus infection, there's one idiot who thought it would be amusing to say he had it, while on a Westjet flight to Jamaica yesterday. Of course, the plane's crew had no option but to follow protocol for an infectious disease on board, and turned the plane round for Toronto. The passenger was met by Peel regional police and charged with mischief. I hope he is dinged for at least some of the cost of his folly.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lane-1.5450824

I was looking to see if this had been mentioned here. What a complete and utter pillock. Some wannabe musician who did it purely to get publicity, and wanted to go viral (I'd say he was making a pun, but suspect he wouldn't know one if it came and smacked him in the face). It's one of the most stupid things you could do.



All times are GMT. The time now is 8:53 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.