British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

sharkus Mar 20th 2020 9:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824283)
That is just for BC Housing affordable and subsidized units, we are not in such a unit.

"BC Housing is putting in place a temporary moratorium on eviction of tenants in subsidized and affordable housing."

Although it looks like they have something in the works for regular renters and will be released next week so that is something positive possibly, have to wait and see what they come up with.

"
“All options are on the table,” Housing Minister Selina Robinson said. “We are working on ways to ensure people do not lose their homes and are not evicted because of this crisis. These are very urgent concerns for people and we will have more to say in the coming days.”

The measures are set to be unveiled next week."

I will wait and see what they unveil next week.

Ah ok. Sorry, I should have read more closely :(

Stumpylegs Mar 20th 2020 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823514)
agreed J...a 30 day immediate shut down. Also the US and UK should do the same.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12824251)
so why the hell aren’t western countries locking everyone and everything down? A lot of people in the UK don’t seem to be taking it seriously...or at least the ones I know aren’t. :mad:

Spain, France and Italy are pretty locked down. The UK not so much, although they have moved to shutting bars/pubs/restaurants/gyms now. However the problem isn't going to improve, UK pubs are having a super busy night tonight as everyone is like "last chance to drink" - including folk who probably haven't been the pub in weeks. The other issue is people are now having house parties to compensate.

Theres a very clear split in the UK between those that want to contain the spread, and those that are like "its coming, it can't be avoided, lets just crack on". So whilst i haven't been the gym since it was announced on Monday (longest time away from the gym since October), when I used their car park to do some food shopping as i didn't fancy using the supermarket car park, a quick look through the window and it was as busy as normal.

I think part of the hesitance of the UK to lock down is the lack of police force, a general lack of respect for the police and the fact that there is a huge worry of people moving the virus into more rural areas where lockdowns can't be policed and they don't have the infrastructure for a health crisis. (a lot of people are going to caravan parks, or going off in their camper vans to "self isolate").

Partially discharged Mar 20th 2020 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12824288)

Theres a very clear split in the UK between those that want to contain the spread, and those that are like "its coming, it can't be avoided, lets just crack on".

Gazza being one of them a few days ago in a rough part of M/CR..now there's a guy who shouldn't be in a boozer.

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2020 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824268)
Good question. I keep seeing posts from people who think by end of next week everything will be back to normal, um no it wont, and the longer governments in the western world take to lock things down, the longer its going to take to recover. Look how long its taken in places that were in near total lock down to subside, should be pretty clear without such levels it will linger on.

China, Korea and some other Asian countries are now seeing imported cases from the western world, so really just seems this virus will keep ping ponging around as people travel.

I think the health officials in Canada probably want to do more, but the politicians are choosing to go slow which just prolongs everything really.

At this point Amazon should even be shut down, based on the photos of hundreds of people inches from one another on break, how long til there is a major outbreak within Amazon centers?

I do have one order coming tomorrow, I will let them set it outside the door, and then kick it into the closest and let is sit for a few days before touching it.

I have posted before...everything that comes into this house is wiped down with a bleach/water solution. Not only do I bleach the box...I bleach the contents too. I have groceries being delivered tomorrow...everything will get the same treatment.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12824301)
I have posted before...everything that comes into this house is wiped down with a bleach/water solution. Not only do I bleach the box...I bleach the contents too. I have groceries being delivered tomorrow...everything will get the same treatment.

I wear gloves and wipe down the outside with lysol wipe, then open and dump everything out and toss the box into a trash box.

I am trying to stay at home as much as possible, did have to venture into the dollar store for some food items today, in and out as quick as I could. People though refuse to stay a distance for some reason, but its mostly just the very poor out and about, people who can't stock up in large amounts like us, we have to buy as we have the ability to.

I'd order online if I could though. But then if its sent Canada Post or Purolator it requires going out and picking it up as neither will deliver to the door in this area.

When I do go out, I spray down all the railings in the hallway of the building with Lysol and clean, do the same in the elevator. The cleaning company they use has suspended operations so currently nobody cleaning the building and things are getting a little grubby looking. Not a wealthy strata with concierge and such.

Also limiting the dog going on walks, I know she can't get it, but I have seen some reports indicate dog could potentially pick up the virus on paws, fur, nose and such. Still taking her out briefly, but she doesn't understand why we are spending so much time indoors.

There was a heated debate on a local forum last night about dogs being walked downtown, downside to density is condos have no yard, dogs still need to go out. Charlee will use a pad on the balcony so that helps minimize our trips outside, but not all dogs are trained for pads, and big dogs usually wont use them.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 11:49 pm

77 new cases in BC, almost double yesterdays new cases, total now 348.

Hospitalizations are up, 22 hospitalized with 10 in ICU.

6 people have recovered.

17,912 tests have been performed in BC as of today.

Critical care beds are at 68.1% capacity as of today. (system wide hospital capacity is at 78%, normal average is 103%, largely due to elective procedures being cancelled.)

Province will punish anyone caught misappropriating medical supplies from the healthcare system.

All restaurants in BC have been ordered to only provide take out and delivery, no dining allowed.

Dr. Henry has asked people to call out those not abiding by the recommendations put forward.

Province is not yet at a point they feel a California style shelter in place is needed.

Odd how government's wait until the cases climb to crazy numbers before doing anything hard core, think they would do it now to prevent massive increases.

Some of the grocery stores are so overwhelmed with orders they have started cancelling orders, and other who do get their orders only get a fraction of what they ordered due to stock issues.

bats Mar 21st 2020 12:19 am

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/1962...likely-impact/

here you go.

Almost Canadian Mar 21st 2020 2:02 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12824337)

or the WHO could have recommended travel restrictions at the outset, which it argued were not required, and it wouldn't have spread all over the world.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12824377)
or the WHO could have recommended travel restrictions at the outset, which it argued were not required, and it wouldn't have spread all over the world.

WHO seems to have been very political more than anything, I don't know if I trust them at this point.

scilly Mar 21st 2020 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12823568)
Curve as of today for Canada. From Global News on facebook. One problem with being mostly stuck inside in a small apartment is everything on TV, and the internet is mostly just COVID 24/7 so hard to get away from it all. Don't believe everything politicians say on TV, RE the earlier poster who said pharmacies don't need a prescription, according to the pharmacists this is not true.

As I was the "earlier poster" ..........

While pharmacists are committed to ensuring every patient has an adequate supply of medication, they remain bound by existing regulations when providing medications without a new prescription. The following represent some of the criteria pharmacists must follow:
  • Patients must already be taking the medication or have an existing prescription for their medication. Pharmacists can not provide a new medication to a patient without a previous doctor’s prescription.
  • Generally this service is provided for medications used to treat chronic conditions.
  • Patients who have an expired prescription can have that filled by a pharmacist. The pharmacist will work with the patient to determine the appropriateness and the amount of supply to provide them.

https://www.bcpharmacy.ca/news/bc-ph...id-19-outbreak

Read that as you will. I take it to mean that a pharmacist could provide medication to person who has been taking it but whose prescription has now come to the end of the number of refills prescribed.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 3:51 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12824418)
As I was the "earlier poster" ..........

https://www.bcpharmacy.ca/news/bc-ph...id-19-outbreak

Doctor finally faxed over the prescription.

scilly Mar 21st 2020 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824424)
Doctor finally faxed over the prescription.

Great news!!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 5:11 am

Costco has done the logical thing.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/costco-...-toilet-paper/

Save On Foods President made a video today pleading for people to stop panic buying and shop as they normally would and asking anyone who can shop in store to do so, and leave the delivery service for seniors and disabled. They have been completely overwhelmed the last few weeks, can take 1+ week to get a delivery slot. Its been insane.

dave_j Mar 21st 2020 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12824377)

One problem with modelling is that you need to make assumptions to enable the algorithms to behave as they would in actual practice and additionally you need to tie the model down to measured data.
When I was modelling I was often asked 'what's the answer?'. To which I'd reply 'What answer would you like?'
As there haven't been that many pandemics of this seriousness, any model will be making certain guesses and the Imperial predictions should be viewed through this lens.

We can all comment with hindsight, but the WHO is condemned if it does and condemned if it doesn't, like all organisations charged with making difficult decisions, they get it wrong sometimes.
Yes, this pandemic might have been slowed down, but shit happens, people defy restrictions and you have only to look at images of crowded Florida beaches to understand that. I suspect that it would still have escaped, perhaps more slowly.

The question you could ask is: "If the virus had been contained for a month or two, would our leaders have reacted any differently?" I suspect not.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 21st 2020 6:19 am

I feel bad for the homeless. With everything closing up, they are having trouble finding places to go during the day, use the bathroom and such.