British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 6:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus

US Government is suspending all routine US Embassy and Consulate services in Canada end of business day today, until further notice. No longer processing passports, visas etc.

Emergency services will still be available to US Citizens.

CanadaJimmy Mar 20th 2020 6:51 pm

Oddly prophetic Mitchell and Webb

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 7:27 pm

I can't post this in the other thread at the request of the OP, but housing prices might drop in Vancouver, but with so many going to be out of work, nobody will be able to get a mortgage.... Same thing happened in the US back in 2008, prices plummeted but most couldn't get mortgages, by the time economy recovered and people could, the prices went up, plus even a 50% drop in Vancouver, houses would still be 500,000+ and still not affordable in my view...ha ha

Anyhow not looking good, 500,000 Canadians applied for EI in the last week, 2.5% of the labor force. 20 times higher vs last the same week in 2019.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-r...week-1.1409633

I know 100% we will end up homeless, we cannot sustain this rent on disability, so unless one of us can get a job in the next month or so, not sure how we will make it going forward.

CanadaJimmy Mar 20th 2020 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824210)
I can't post this in the other thread at the request of the OP, but housing prices might drop in Vancouver, but with so many going to be out of work, nobody will be able to get a mortgage.... Same thing happened in the US back in 2008, prices plummeted but most couldn't get mortgages, by the time economy recovered and people could, the prices went up, plus even a 50% drop in Vancouver, houses would still be 500,000+ and still not affordable in my view...ha ha

I'm seeing indicators already. This house in Walnut Grove in Langley was just listed for $779k, which is about $50k-$70k less than what similar houses have been listed for in the area in the past year or so.

I know 100% we will end up homeless, we cannot sustain this rent on disability, so unless one of us can get a job in the next month or so, not sure how we will make it going forward.
I'm sorry to hear that, I know that the government is bringing in extra payments on top of EI as well as possibly suspending evictions/rent payments. Honestly I would just refuse to leave. The landlord can defer their mortgage for 6 months. Do whatever it takes to get through this.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12824220)
I'm seeing indicators already. This house in Walnut Grove in Langley was just listed for $779k, which is about $50k-$70k less than what similar houses have been listed for in the area in the past year or so.

I'm sorry to hear that, I know that the government is bringing in extra payments on top of EI as well as possibly suspending evictions/rent payments. Honestly I would just refuse to leave. The landlord can defer their mortgage for 6 months. Do whatever it takes to get through this.

I have no doubt prices will fall, just that people will be unemployed and unable to get a mortgage to buy. Must like what happened in the US 10-12 years ago.

I will barricade myself in for as long as possible if necessary, we will pay April rent in full, but by May we may not be able to, and may need to offer what we can pay and see what happens.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 8:28 pm

Looks like the banks are confused, and people are having difficult time deferring their mortgage payments.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ban...id19-1.5503478

MillieF Mar 20th 2020 8:32 pm

There hasn’t been 1 single case of Covid 19 reported in Wuhan in the last 24 hours....that’s got to be positive...

Jerseygirl Mar 20th 2020 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12824241)
There hasn’t been 1 single case of Covid 19 reported in Wuhan in the last 24 hours....that’s got to be positive...

so why the hell aren’t western countries locking everyone and everything down? A lot of people in the UK don’t seem to be taking it seriously...or at least the ones I know aren’t. :mad:

magnumpi Mar 20th 2020 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824210)

Anyhow not looking good, 500,000 Canadians applied for EI in the last week, 2.5% of the labor force. 20 times higher vs last the same week in 2019.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-r...week-1.1409633

i would be surprised if you end up homeless. This whole situation is unknown, Ontario have suspended evictions and I am sure, if bullied into a corner by a landlord, your day in court would be both successful and financially beneficial

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12824255)
i would be surprised if you end up homeless. This whole situation is unknown, Ontario have suspended evictions and I am sure, if bullied into a corner by a landlord, your day in court would be both successful and financially beneficial

Time will tell, BC hasn't as of yet made any changes to the RTA, they say they are consulting landlords to come up with a solution, so we will see. If they let rent deferral to be paid back later, no clue how to do that either. lol

BristolUK Mar 20th 2020 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12824255)
Ontario have suspended evictions and I am sure

NB too. :nod:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12824251)
so why the hell aren’t western countries locking everyone and everything down? A lot of people in the UK don’t seem to be taking it seriously...or at least the ones I know aren’t. :mad:

Good question. I keep seeing posts from people who think by end of next week everything will be back to normal, um no it wont, and the longer governments in the western world take to lock things down, the longer its going to take to recover. Look how long its taken in places that were in near total lock down to subside, should be pretty clear without such levels it will linger on.

China, Korea and some other Asian countries are now seeing imported cases from the western world, so really just seems this virus will keep ping ponging around as people travel.

I think the health officials in Canada probably want to do more, but the politicians are choosing to go slow which just prolongs everything really.

At this point Amazon should even be shut down, based on the photos of hundreds of people inches from one another on break, how long til there is a major outbreak within Amazon centers?

I do have one order coming tomorrow, I will let them set it outside the door, and then kick it into the closest and let is sit for a few days before touching it.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:42 pm

I wonder if banks are seeing an uptick on cash being taken out they don't like?

I got another email from the bank explaining how money is safe, how you will be able to access money through electronic means, they are not at risk of failing and deposits are insured up to the limit.

sharkus Mar 20th 2020 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12824266)
Time will tell, BC hasn't as of yet made any changes to the RTA, they say they are consulting landlords to come up with a solution, so we will see. If they let rent deferral to be paid back later, no clue how to do that either. lol

Not sure if this is useful to you:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6703203/r...s-coronavirus/

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 20th 2020 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12824282)

That is just for BC Housing affordable and subsidized units, we are not in such a unit.

"BC Housing is putting in place a temporary moratorium on eviction of tenants in subsidized and affordable housing."

Although it looks like they have something in the works for regular renters and will be released next week so that is something positive possibly, have to wait and see what they come up with.

"
“All options are on the table,” Housing Minister Selina Robinson said. “We are working on ways to ensure people do not lose their homes and are not evicted because of this crisis. These are very urgent concerns for people and we will have more to say in the coming days.”

The measures are set to be unveiled next week."

I will wait and see what they unveil next week.