British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Piff Poff Mar 19th 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12823653)
I always had Quik-Stop handy when clipping nails, and accidents do happen. There's nothing wrong with leaving a bit extra and just doing it more often.

I know corn starch works like quik stop too. Nails are my cringey thing. I can watch all sorts of gorey things but poking things under nails etc just turns my stomach, never ever did the last two pups nails, never cut my daughters nails, I might just have to get brave if everything shuts down though.

Puppy classes now cancelled, I was offered 4 x 30 minute private classes instead of the 6 x one hour but the main reason we are doing puppy classes is for the socialization of the puppy. Me being home so much isn't helping her separation anxiety either, I'm going to have to go out an about every day anyway, so I'll just have to drive around lol.

All very small issues and if this is as bad as it gets for us I will count myself extremely lucky.

Jsmth321 Mar 19th 2020 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823659)
after the 14 day isolation period they can no longer pass it on/are infection.

that’s why a 30 day shut down period is being recommended

Yep the longer people go out and about like nothing is happening the longer it will take to get over it.

Even Vegas has been shut down, never thought I'd live to see that.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 9:56 pm

My daughter paid for granddaughter to go to day camp next Monday. It has been cancelled but the owner doesn’t want to refund the $200+ it cost. My daughter feels sorry for her and doesn’t want to put her out of biz. She has also 11 weeks of summer camp booked, at various camps. So far these haven’t been cancelled but if they are will they refund the $1,000 to $1,500 per week paid in January? :eek:

Almost Canadian Mar 19th 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823659)
after the 14 day isolation period they can no longer pass it on/are infection.

that’s why a 30 day shut down period is being recommended

OK

So why are our leaders not proposing this?

BristolUK Mar 19th 2020 10:06 pm

My stepdaughter was told today that her store - HomeSense - is closing for two weeks. I'm not unhappy about that and they're even paying the employees as normal for the shifts they'd have been working.

So now we can shut ourselves off from the outside world - except online, of course - for a few weeks.

Weather's getting better so we can go for walks.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12823675)
OK

So why are our leaders not proposing this?

that’s what many want to know and are asking country's’ leaders to lockdown...but they seem to be resisting. IMO it is bound to happen, but is not quick enough.

HGerchikov Mar 19th 2020 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823705)
that’s what many want to know and are asking country's’ leaders to lockdown...but they seem to be resisting. IMO it is bound to happen, but is not quick enough.

We need all countries to do it at the same time though, or be rigorous about any travel between countries that did not comply - otherwise it will start all over again. The people who chose to travel after the government strongly requested that we didn't should be locked up on their return. It makes me so angry that small businesses are doing everything they can to help by closing down, even though many of them will not recover, and yet that is being negated by morons going on vacation and coming back infected.

Piff Poff Mar 19th 2020 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823669)
My daughter paid for granddaughter to go to day camp next Monday. It has been cancelled but the owner doesn’t want to refund the $200+ it cost. My daughter feels sorry for her and doesn’t want to put her out of biz. She has also 11 weeks of summer camp booked, at various camps. So far these haven’t been cancelled but if they are will they refund the $1,000 to $1,500 per week paid in January? :eek:

If the day camp has been cancelled she should get a refund, if it's been postponed that's different. At the minimum there should be a credit.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2020 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12823713)
We need all countries to do it at the same time though, or be rigorous about any travel between countries that did not comply - otherwise it will start all over again. The people who chose to travel after the government strongly requested that we didn't should be locked up on their return. It makes me so angry that small businesses are doing everything they can to help by closing down, even though many of them will not recover, and yet that is being negated by morons going on vacation and coming back infected.

yes I should have said that. Thanks :)

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12823714)
If the day camp has been cancelled she should get a refund, if it's been postponed that's different. At the minimum there should be a credit.

the woman wants to postpone until the summer camp season. Problem is summer camp has already been booked and paid for...including time spent at her camp. I said to call her CC company and put it in dispute...but she feels sorry for the woman trying to keep the company afloat.

BristolUK Mar 19th 2020 11:20 pm

State of emergency declared in NB. Most retail to close - Pharm, grocery, cannabis and liquor store exempt. Delivery and take-out only for food.

Jsmth321 Mar 19th 2020 11:35 pm

Remember social distancing means:

No visits with friends or family if you don't live together.
No play dates for your children
No dinners or coffee meet ups.

The Toronto health officer gave a pretty good speech about that and listed of things that are not social distancing that people keep doing.

I will admit I am going bonkers inside, apartment/condo is about the worst with no access to a yard, and my wife and I are driving each other crazy, we may hate one another at the end of this....lol

For her and many others with mental health issues, social isolation is really bad, difficult to maintain good mental health when socially isolated and is the opposite of what you would normally be told to do, hoping she does go manic over this, would suck for her to be stuck in a hospital right now, especially with no visitors allowed.

Jsmth321 Mar 19th 2020 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823705)

I think in a way they want people to get used to things before dropping the hammer, I still think in the next couple days they will become serious and invoke emergency measures and start doing what areas of the US have done, mandatory shelter at home, only essential travel to/from essential business allowed and provide a list of stores and business that can remain open.

The wording from the state department warning in the US, leads me to believe air travel will soon be shut down or heavily restricted in the coming days. They are past the you should not travel to you need to come home now if you want to or plan to stay where you are for an indefinite period.

The US is also restricting emergency access to passports, emergency services will only be provided in very specific circumstances, regular passport service is being slowed, any application received today onward will no longer qualify for expedited service and delays in issuing new passports may occur.

Looks like the land border restrictions will come into force tomorrow, got a slew of emails from Pt. Roberts business saying effective tomorrow they plan on the border being closed .

CanadaJimmy Mar 19th 2020 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12823717)
I said to call her CC company and put it in dispute...but she feels sorry for the woman trying to keep the company afloat.

But it is a company not a charity. It may sound cold but it is not her responsibility to pay effectively a donation with no service rendered to help her business. She should file a dispute/chargeback, 100%.

caretaker Mar 20th 2020 12:00 am

The Hungarian Club closes tomorrow at end of business day. :(

Jsmth321 Mar 20th 2020 12:15 am

40 new cases in BC, total now 271. We seem to be climbing 40 per day.

1 additional death, 17 in hospital now with 5 in ICU

152 in Vancouver Coastal Health, 81 in Fraser Health, 22 island Health, 12 in the Interior Health, and 4 in Northern Health. BC is divided into health regions for our healthcare services, Vancouver Coastal Health includes Vancouver, Richmond, up through Whistler and the Sunshine Coast. Fraser Health is Burnaby east up to Boston Bar, Island Health is Vancouver Island.

I like the graph they have in the article that makes it appear there was a decline since Monday when 83 new cases were reported, but what the graph doesn't how is they skipped the daily briefing on Sunday, so Monday's count was higher because they didn't do the briefing on Sunday.

Looks like the usual waiting period for healthcare for new arrivals will be waived for some new arrivals.

"Health minister Adrian Dix announced that the wait period for MSP for people returning to B.C. will be waived for those returning from impacted areas, and those who have been outside of B.C. for longer than is normally allowed."

BC is waiting on an order of ventilators to arrive, once the order arrives, they will announce how many, so seems like they are not sure how many they will be able to obtain.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eath-1.5503640