British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Teaandtoday5 Jun 13th 2020 7:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Good news for all you cheese fiends
Now where did I put that Gouda?

caretaker Jun 13th 2020 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12866440)
Good news for all you cheese fiends
Now where did I put that Gouda?

Good timing (as I eat my chicken penne in mushroom sauce with tons of cheese).... if it was just kale that could save you I'd have to think about it.

BEVS Jun 13th 2020 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12865771)
She never left ! He and his team can claim full credit for an extra 20,000 deaths due to his self-assured dithering in March. And now he's hell bent on driving the country off the Brexit cliff too.

Yup.

dbd33 Jun 13th 2020 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12864303)
I haven't seen actual disinfectant wipes for sale in stores since February. I have seen stores with limited supplies used to wipe carts etc. That's still happening here at least.

Same here.

Danny B Jun 14th 2020 4:09 pm

caretaker Jun 14th 2020 6:05 pm

The poem was written in reference to the cholera epidemic that spread worldwide from Africa in the 1860's.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...fdc62bf3c9.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...86f5728991.jpg

BristolUK Jun 14th 2020 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12866897)
The poem was written in reference to the cholera epidemic that spread worldwide from Africa in the 1860's.

Brilliant.

But nothing about video conference calls. :rofl:

MillieF Jun 14th 2020 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12866897)

How bloody brilliant, thank you so very much. I'm having a small and quiet crisis of confidence this week. It's nice to know that those who were before us have had their moments...I had my back against the wall...but I fear I'm not gaining headway :thumbup:

caretaker Jun 14th 2020 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12866933)
thank you

You're welcome!
The poem, it turns out, was written in March of this year by Kitty O'Meara, (the friend who sent it to me checked when I questioned something else he'd sent), but it's still good.

bats Jun 15th 2020 5:19 pm

I don't have any Canadian contacts who have had the virus but my family back in England did. One still tested positive some three weeks after they no longer had symptoms, another just had mild sore throat and cough. My brother was the sickest I've ever known him to be and he was a stay at home mild case of COVID. He looked and felt awful. Another friend, his wife and his adult kids were treated at home. One kid never tested positive, never had symptoms. One kid no symptoms but was +ve. He was very sick too but again no hospital admission.

My Facebook feed has hospital worker friends that are dealing with patients and it's as bad as they say.

We've been lucky out here in the sticks. No community spread but that will no doubt change as things open up.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 15th 2020 5:30 pm

Long term care homes are not the place to be, either as resident or employee.

14 residents and 3 staff have so far tested positive.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/14-residents-t...lity-1.4984688

Pulaski Jun 15th 2020 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12867328)
..... One kid no symptoms but was +ve. He was very sick too but again no hospital admission. .....

:confused:

Danny B Jun 15th 2020 11:56 pm

God give me strength. You mean I have been queueing up in the rain for nothing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rsity-experts/

dbd33 Jun 16th 2020 2:01 am

I got tested today, at a drive-in place. Ten minutes, low key, efficient, friendly, no cost, results on Wednesday. It seems like something everyone should do reasonably often.

caretaker Jun 16th 2020 2:21 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12867517)
I got tested today, at a drive-in place. Ten minutes, low key, efficient, friendly, no cost, results on Wednesday. It seems like something everyone should do reasonably often.

When they start doing it here I'll go.

Pulaski Jun 16th 2020 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12867517)

There are still downsides to speculative testing, because you may be asked if you have been tested, implying that if you have been tested, you are at higher risk (otherwise, why would you have been tested?) I have already been asked this as part of a risk screening questioinnaire, and therefore I won't be getting tested unless or until I feel that it is appropriate, or if for some reason I am induced to undergo testing e.g. as a prerequisit for obtaining medical services,

Nand Jun 16th 2020 4:51 pm

I'm still afraid to go out there, wouldn't venture to a testing center, that's where all the sick people go.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 16th 2020 5:05 pm

Is there a benefit to getting tested if no symptoms are present? Seems one could be negative today, and next week be positive, or am I missing something?

BC unless showing symptoms one doesn't fit into the current testing protocol at least from what the BC CDC website lists.

I'll get tested if a doctor recommends it, but otherwise I don't think I will.

Jerseygirl Jun 16th 2020 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12867824)
Is there a benefit to getting tested if no symptoms are present? Seems one could be negative today, and next week be positive, or am I missing something?

BC unless showing symptoms one doesn't fit into the current testing protocol at least from what the BC CDC website lists.

I'll get tested if a doctor recommends it, but otherwise I don't think I will.

I agree. I hear it’s not a particularly nice test to have...swab up the nose right to the back of the throat. Too many false negative and positives.

Pulaski Jun 16th 2020 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12867808)
I'm still afraid to go out there, wouldn't venture to a testing center, that's where all the sick people go.

:goodpost: This too!

dbd33 Jun 16th 2020 6:32 pm

Today the dentist called to confirm a routine appointment. I declined, thinking it far from safe. I wonder now if dentists require that patients have masks and just sort of poke around blindly.

BristolUK Jun 16th 2020 9:19 pm

Apparently a colleague was greeting people upon entry to the store and a guy came in with a couple of other people, one of whom coughed. The guy said "she's been doing that for hours and she's from Campbellton" - otherwise known as the Covid-19 capital of an otherwise almost free from active case province.

This was relayed to my SD some time later and she immediately said the colleague should tell the manager.

I can't believe the greeter didn't report it straight away. The guy should have been asked to leave and maybe police called too.

It's very likely a joke. But people have been charged for stuff like this and in other cases stores have closed for cleaning.

What if it's not a joke?

I'm tempted to report it via crimestoppers but if anything happened to have it investigated - store CCTV check, police interview etc - there could be confidentiality implications for my SD.

This is where you need a union so a delegation could go to management.

Danny B Jun 17th 2020 4:21 pm

I couldn't do a shopping trip without at least one trip to the water closet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-53064651

MillieF Jun 17th 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12867904)

It's very likely a joke. But people have been charged for stuff like this and in other cases stores have closed for cleaning.

What if it's not a joke?

We are ‘officially’ opening our main doors on Monday, and I am uncomfortable. There is only my colleague and me up there, and tape on the floor near the glass. Some of our clients are in bad situations and couldn’t self isolate if heaven commanded it. This second wave talk really bothers me...it’s a bit like NB and snow...not so much if but when. We’ve been lucky so far :fingerscrossed:

BristolUK Jun 17th 2020 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12868480)
We are ‘officially’ opening our main doors on Monday, and I am uncomfortable. There is only my colleague and me up there, and tape on the floor near the glass. Some of our clients are in bad situations and couldn’t self isolate if heaven commanded it. This second wave talk really bothers me...it’s a bit like NB and snow...not so much if but when. We’ve been lucky so far :fingerscrossed:

I think the only active case in your area is the worker from that care home in Campbellton and he/she is isolating now. We have three TFWs hereabouts, all isolating.

Do you have clients from out of zone 3?

Almost Canadian Jun 17th 2020 11:15 pm

I'll wager that there will be no significant second wave.

Shard Jun 17th 2020 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12868501)

Have you been watching Mike Pence or something? I think it's too early for a prediction like that. The virus hasn't gone away, all that's changed is that we're going from serious lockdown to attempted avoidance.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 18th 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12868504)
Have you been watching Mike Pence or something? I think it's too early for a prediction like that. The virus hasn't gone away, all that's changed is that we're going from serious lockdown to attempted avoidance.

I agree. The first wave hasn't even ended yet in many places, and seems when one outbreak is under control another pops up.

BC has 19 new cases, 2 new outbreaks in healthcare facilities one being a small community hospital which is now limited to emergency care only.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...stem-1.5616648

Upside the health region we are moving to has only had 196 cases to date, so risk might be lower, Vancouver Health region is the 2nd most cases in BC.

Almost Canadian Jun 18th 2020 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12868504)

No. I have been studying the data rather than listening to the media. Whatever you set the wager at, I'll take the bet.

Shard Jun 18th 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12868532)
No. I have been studying the data rather than listening to the media. Whatever you set the wager at, I'll take the bet.

Hardly a thing to bet on ! The "media" in this case is qualified epidemiologists who also are studying the data, and their current conclusion seems to be that a second wave is likely.

Shard Jun 18th 2020 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12868516)
I agree. The first wave hasn't even ended yet in many places, and seems when one outbreak is under control another pops up.

BC has 19 new cases, 2 new outbreaks in healthcare facilities one being a small community hospital which is now limited to emergency care only.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...stem-1.5616648

Upside the health region we are moving to has only had 196 cases to date, so risk might be lower, Vancouver Health region is the 2nd most cases in BC.

Coronavirus has a relatively high transmission rate, especially as carriers are often asymptomatic. The fact that younger people are less impacted doesn't bode well for containment policies. At least BC is managing ok, considering its proximity to Washington, and the density of Vancouver.

dbd33 Jun 18th 2020 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12868613)
Hardly a thing to bet on ! .

Well, I would have taken the bet if I had thought of a proper way of determining who won.

Almost Canadian Jun 18th 2020 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12868613)
Hardly a thing to bet on ! The "media" in this case is qualified epidemiologists who also are studying the data, and their current conclusion seems to be that a second wave is likely.

Are these the same experts that haven't been able to predict, with any real accuracy, what was going to happen in the past?

This channel is worth a look at if you have some hours to spare:

As I have indicated before, policy appears, to me, to be backwards. Those unlikely to be affected should all get infected as quickly as they can and those likely to be affected should do all they can to isolate from the rest. The media's obsession with number of infections is somewhat baffling to me.

Siouxie Jun 18th 2020 2:56 pm

Total COVID-19 cases in Canada: 100,026 diagnoses, 8,254 deaths (as of June 18, 10:30 a.m. ET)]
  • Alberta - 7,530 cases, including 151 deaths (6,893 resolved)
  • British Columbia - 2,775 cases, 168 deaths (2,422 resolved)
  • Manitoba - 306 cases, 7 deaths (293 resolved)
  • New Brunswick - 164 cases, 2 deaths (131 resolved)
  • Newfoundland and Labrador - 261 cases, 3 deaths (257 resolved)
  • Northwest Territories - 5 cases (5 resolved)
  • Nova Scotia - 1,061 cases, 62 deaths (1,059 resolved)
  • Ontario - 32,917 cases, 2,550 deaths (27,784 resolved)
  • Prince Edward Island - 27 cases (27 resolved)
  • Quebec - 54,263 cases, 5,298 deaths (22,549 resolved)
  • Saskatchewan - 693 cases, 13 deaths (633 resolved)
  • Yukon - 11 cases (11 resolved)
  • Nunavut - 0 cases (1 false positive case)
  • CFB Trenton - 13 cases (13 resolved)

Danny B Jun 18th 2020 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12868501)

What country are you referring to when you say that? China?

Almost Canadian Jun 18th 2020 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12868824)
What country are you referring to when you say that? China?

All of them that have had significant numbers in the first wave.

Like Dbd33 stated above, what is a continuation of the first wave v. those not affected is the issue but, of those jurisdictions that had a significant number of infections, I, and many others far more knowledgeable and expert than me, don't anticipate any so-called second wave.

Atlantic Xpat Jun 18th 2020 4:56 pm

As of today no active cases in Newfoundland & Labrador. 261 cases. 3 deaths. 258 recovered.
There appear to be some benefits in most of the province being an Island!
We enter level 2 next week - bars, gyms etc reopening albeit with physical distancing in place.

Shard Jun 18th 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12868737)
Are these the same experts that haven't been able to predict, with any real accuracy, what was going to happen in the past?

As I have indicated before, policy appears, to me, to be backwards. Those unlikely to be affected should all get infected as quickly as they can and those likely to be affected should do all they can to isolate from the rest. The media's obsession with number of infections is somewhat baffling to me.

Will have a look at the video later. Nothing wrong with the experts. If you recall, in Feburary they were imploring the UK government to surpress the virus or it would spread exponentially. Boris and his lackeys took a couple of extra weeks to be convinced of the seriousness of the virus, and hey presto, as predicted (by the experts) it spread like wild fire. Tens of thousands of avoidable deaths is the price of skepticism. We're lucky that he didn't stick to his ill-judged instincts or ot would be hundreds of thousands by now. Sweden is another fine example. Experts on both sides of the strategy, although unfortunately for the Swedes, the health official in power clung to his minority view of herd immunity, and again, thousands of unnecessary deaths. He's been showing some serious contrition lately, as well he should.

I don't think we are the stage if understanding of Covid where we can proactively encourage low-risk individuals to get infected and gain some immunity. We have no idea whether the immunity if permanent or not. And even amongst that populations segment (younger/fit people for want of a better word) there is still a mortality rate attributable to the disease. Having said that, I do see the economic/society argument for permitting one segment to return to normal (with protection) while the other shields, and it the disease does not taper off that may be the only way forward.

dbd33 Jun 18th 2020 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12868844)
All of them that have had significant numbers in the first wave.

Like Dbd33 stated above, what is a continuation of the first wave v. those not affected is the issue but, of those jurisdictions that had a significant number of infections, I, and many others far more knowledgeable and expert than me, don't anticipate any so-called second wave.

I think defining a "second wave" is infeasible.

A infection rate based comparison fails because testing rates vary by location and, within a location, the rate of testing and the quality of the tests will improve. Deaths is a better measure, there's some variance in the definition of cause of death between jurisdictions but not, typically, within one jurisdiction over a year. The problem with deaths is that the low hanging fruit have fallen and there's greater awareness of the virus now so, for the rate of deaths to be greater than in the first wave, the situation has to be markedly worse.

I expect there to be a great deal of sickness and death in the coming months but don't know that it'll be quantifiable as the "second wave that started on the morning of October 3rd".

BristolUK Jun 18th 2020 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12868898)
...Sweden is another fine example...

Yep. Between 5 and 10 times as many deaths per capita as Finland, Denmark and Norway who weren't so cavalier.

I don't think we are the stage if understanding of Covid where we can proactively encourage low-risk individuals to get infected and gain some immunity. We have no idea whether the immunity if permanent or not.
Not to mention that while they're all out catching the virus, they are also out spreading it.

For all people might think the at risk can simply shelter and stay in, even if they do that absolutely 100%, unless they live alone, they are still going to come into contact with some people - in the same home as well as others - who might not otherwise be infectious but for the fact that others have sought to get infected and have passed it on.

It's almost as if some have forgotten there is a period between exposure and showing symptoms where one is infectious and passing it on unknowingly. Like the health workers who have carried it into care homes at great cost. Or politicians and their wives and colleagues.