Coronavirus

Old Nov 14th 2023, 6:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Had my second bout of the 'rona week before last. Runny nose for a couple of days, achy for a couple of days, no cough, no fever but positive rapid test. My youngest caught it from me, and as she's immunocompromised through chemo, when she spiked a fever we had to take her to the ER (following the protocol for kids going through chemo). Long story, short, she got hospitalised for a week - and me with her - not because she was particularly ill - her symptoms were pretty much the same as mine - but because her neutrophil levels dropped to zero & that meant staying in hospital on IV antibiotics in case its bacterial not viral until they rebound.

A notable difference from the peak pandemic to now was the experience at the hospital. We were in an isolation room & all the nurses and doctors were fully gowned and masked to enter. However, I was free to leave - masked - and return home to pick up stuff, get a shower etc. Back in the pandemic my brother in law had his twin three year olds hospitalised and he and his partner had to stay in their room for a week not being allowed to leave.

As a result, we've not got our covid boosters yet but will do so. Got flu shots yesterday anyway.
Old Nov 14th 2023, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Had my second bout of the 'rona week before last. Runny nose for a couple of days, achy for a couple of days, no cough, no fever but positive rapid test. My youngest caught it from me, and as she's immunocompromised through chemo, when she spiked a fever we had to take her to the ER (following the protocol for kids going through chemo). Long story, short, she got hospitalised for a week - and me with her - not because she was particularly ill - her symptoms were pretty much the same as mine - but because her neutrophil levels dropped to zero & that meant staying in hospital on IV antibiotics in case its bacterial not viral until they rebound.
I hope that all passed without further complications.
A notable difference from the peak pandemic to now was the experience at the hospital.
They can't make their minds up here.

Detailed screening and compulsory mask wearing went to a poster on the door asking about symptoms but if you said yes, to go to the appointment anyway, telling the staff about it. Whether this was just for extra precautions or they tested you I don't know.

I accompanied my MIL to an appointment there and I was disappointed to see some staff nattering with visitors who were friends or ex colleagues. The disappointing bit was a woman (staff) who hugged them and then stood back saying "I'll keep my distance as I have a bit of a cold" So why hug then?
She did this with different people, 10 minutes apart.

A week later they announced mask wearing would be required if they had outbreaks and then they brought back masks even though there weren't any outbreaks. So there probably were, they just didn't say so. Or they thought it best to do so given the release of the infection rates in NB by then.

Three out of four in our house have colds with enough other symptoms for it to be covid but it's not practical to get tested and know for sure.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I hope that all passed without further complications.

They can't make their minds up here.

Detailed screening and compulsory mask wearing went to a poster on the door asking about symptoms but if you said yes, to go to the appointment anyway, telling the staff about it. Whether this was just for extra precautions or they tested you I don't know.

I accompanied my MIL to an appointment there and I was disappointed to see some staff nattering with visitors who were friends or ex colleagues. The disappointing bit was a woman (staff) who hugged them and then stood back saying "I'll keep my distance as I have a bit of a cold" So why hug then?
She did this with different people, 10 minutes apart.

A week later they announced mask wearing would be required if they had outbreaks and then they brought back masks even though there weren't any outbreaks. So there probably were, they just didn't say so. Or they thought it best to do so given the release of the infection rates in NB by then.

Three out of four in our house have colds with enough other symptoms for it to be covid but it's not practical to get tested and know for sure.
Here we got the order for all healthcare settings to implement masks but in reality only hospitals and care homes seem to have this strict policy. Our local doctors has a sign on the door telling people its mandatory as per regulations yet other walk in clinics have no such signage. No masks required at the blood lab or many other places that you may expect. Recently there had been an out break at two local hospitals but nothing beyond the norm really for this time of year then last week the news said "COVID surge waning in BC" I wasn't aware we had a surge but i guess that's good news.
I think that testing for COVID is probably not necessary for the majority of the population depending upon age and comorbidities, just practicing good hygiene and stay home if sick or if you absolutely must go out for some reason, wear a mask. We had a job to do yesterday and one of the ladies at the home said she had a head cold and wore a mask the whole time we were in there despite not needing to interact closely with us which was very good of her.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Had my 6th shot in early October, together with the Flu shot, both in the left arm, right up close to the shoulder ............... an inch or so higher than any other shot I've ever had.

Then we took a train trip in late October to Jasper for a few days holiday, I wore a mask unless actually eating or drinking.

Visited my physio the following week, after the new mask mandate had been announced. He was wearing a mask, as were all the other physios and staff. Bu he said that it was not compulsory for "clients" to wear a mask, only those working there.

Just yesterday, I heard that someone had travelled on The Canadian train from Toronto to Jasper last week, all 4 of them came down with Covid on the day they arrived, one of them had a very bad case. That's a 3 night journey, so they had to have been exposed to it either immediately before leaving Toronto or on the train.

We travel on the train again next month. I'll be wearing my mask!
Old Nov 15th 2023, 8:01 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the UK I have definitely noticed an increase in the number of people saying that they, or family members, have had Covid again recently. Fortunately nobody seems to have been seriously unwell, and - for right or wrong - there seems to be zero mitigation measures in place anywhere (though I've not been to any medical facilities so can't comment on any measures there).

I think social distancing/isolation measures would be close to impossible to implement in the UK now. The genie of 'exceptionalism' is well and truly out of the bottle, largely due to Boris Johnson & Co..
Old Nov 15th 2023, 8:03 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Best wishes to you all.
Old Feb 29th 2024, 12:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I got a reminder of this 22 minutes sketch today.
Back in Covid, the borders were closed.