Coronavirus

Old May 4th 2022, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Shard
A permanent hybrid working model is sure to emerge.
Maybe.

At the stage in life that I am at, I can work anywhere. However, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a newly qualified lawyer "working from home." Being able to walk down a corridor and speaking to other colleagues is invaluable. Having to call them or, worse still, WebEx them, just wouldn't be the same. I am confident the same applies to accounting, engineering and lots of other occupations too.

I am willing to bet that the exodus from office buildings will not be as total as some believe.
Old May 4th 2022, 4:53 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Maybe.

At the stage in life that I am at, I can work anywhere. However, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a newly qualified lawyer "working from home." Being able to walk down a corridor and speaking to other colleagues is invaluable. Having to call them or, worse still, WebEx them, just wouldn't be the same. I am confident the same applies to accounting, engineering and lots of other occupations too.

I am willing to bet that the exodus from office buildings will not be as total as some believe.
It won't be total. There is definitely value in having people work in offices or cities and there are people who don't have suitable home environments. However, perhaps through more flexible working protocols office space can be reduced be some signifcant %.
Old May 4th 2022, 5:04 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I drove into the office today as my car is getting fixed nearby. I am spending my day having Teams meetings (teams as in virtual, like Zoom) with people WFH. What's the point in coming into the office if all you do is turn on your webcam and headset to talk to people? Makes zero sense. May as well stay at home and keep my dog company.

Old May 4th 2022, 5:26 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I drove into the office today as my car is getting fixed nearby. I am spending my day having Teams meetings (teams as in virtual, like Zoom) with people WFH. What's the point in coming into the office if all you do is turn on your webcam and headset to talk to people? Makes zero sense. May as well stay at home and keep my dog company.
Even before the pandemic, it wasn't unheard of for multiple people in the same building to join a call on Webex from their desks rather than getting together in one meeting room. Easier to multitask that way you see!

We're hybrid working both here and at head office in London. For me, practically, I seldom go into the office here as the people I deal with are not located here. So I might as well do that teams call at home. What is going to be interesting is the return to business travel - which is gradually happening. I would typically travel to head office for a specific reason and then fill up my week with other meetings and seeing people while I was in town. Nowadays I'll specifically have to ask people to come in to meet with me as otherwise I'll have travelled to the UK to attend a teams call with them from their homes!
Old May 4th 2022, 5:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I drove into the office today as my car is getting fixed nearby. I am spending my day having Teams meetings (teams as in virtual, like Zoom) with people WFH. What's the point in coming into the office if all you do is turn on your webcam and headset to talk to people?
Did you buy a sandwich?
Old May 4th 2022, 6:09 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did you buy a sandwich?
It's funny you say that, we do have a cafeteria onsite and as I forgot to bring food, I will be buying a cooked lunch. Something I haven't done in 2 years!
Old May 4th 2022, 6:12 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Even before the pandemic, it wasn't unheard of for multiple people in the same building to join a call on Webex from their desks rather than getting together in one meeting room. Easier to multitask that way you see!
Pre-COVID here where I work, everyone was squashed into the same meeting room. No one had webcams or the tech to join remotely if you were in the same building. I kinda miss those in person meetings if I'm honest.
Old May 4th 2022, 6:41 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

What about the banter, the friendships, after work drinkies, office romance? Who will the wayward have affairs with?
Old May 4th 2022, 9:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe.

At the stage in life that I am at, I can work anywhere. However, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a newly qualified lawyer "working from home."
My daughter and her husband largely work from home. I suppose they're not "newly qualified" but they've been lawyers for less than 10 years. It doesn't seem to have hurt his career. In her case it's hard to say as she's taken mat leave and that will have been a set back.
Old May 4th 2022, 9:08 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I can recall joining the odd meeting via whatever it was before we used Zoom. The main reason was that meeting rooms were a precious resource and so you usually ended up with one of the small ones, which the entire team could not fit into, and thus joining remotely was the only option.

The team did actually have an in-person lunch last week, and if I had not been elsewhere I would have gone along, as seeing people in person would have been nice. I think we're going to have a couple of other in person things in the near future so that should make up for missing that one. We've decided that we're going to be remote only for the foreseeable future, bar any company mandatory in-person stuff, which is likely to be pretty rare. We can go in if we want to, so say a couple of us want to collaborate on something in person, so that's good.
Old May 4th 2022, 9:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Who will the wayward have affairs with?
An ex-wife asked me, quite pointedly, if this wasn't the worst aspect of working from home for me. The truth is that computer departments aren't like that anymore. Lately though, I've been on a secondment to Corporate Finance where, oh my, it's 1985 all over again.

I did go to an IT leaving party on Friday, quite a few attendees are now sick with the covid (not the same crowd as mentioned above) and an unvaccinated Karen is screeching that whoever brought the germs should have declared them upon arrival. <sigh>

Last edited by dbd33; May 4th 2022 at 9:39 am.
Old May 4th 2022, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We can and we have. The question now is "is it better?". Obviously some jobs require a physical presence but tyres and haircuts are not good examples. Tyres don't need changing if you work from home, they'll last until they're out of date. We all cut our own hair when the barbers were closed and can continue doing so. There's no need for anyone to go to a shop now and so no need for anyone to work in one. Hospitals and care homes are the clear examples of enterprises needing on site workers.

When there's an "in office" policy people go to work sick. That'll be even more the case with the post covid return to work as the reason for being in an office is now generally understood to be cosmetic; it's less productive but the boss likes the feeling of having a workforce. If there's no one in the office then embarrassing questions about the need for a shiny new phallic tower will be raised. The Return to Office is at the expense of employee health, that'd be fine if only if were more profitable than leaving everyone at home.
Maybe tires and haircuts weren't the best examples and i guess in a world where we all cut our own hair (ladies take note) perhaps staying in is for the best. So to the tires. Are you saying that there are no vehicles on the road? Are you suggesting that nobody needs tire services? Obviously not so therefore tire mechanics are necessary if only to keep the stay at homers supplied with goods that they order. So no need for anyone to go to a shop therefore shops are a thing of the past and so are the people that work in them and then there's the companies that own these massive commercial buildings, more of which i see going up locally this year, these are surplus to requirements because nobody needs a store or an office. The knock on effect of thinking that the majority can work from home and to hell with the rest is mind boggling. The huge traffic queues locally that seem to have gotten worse since the snowbirds returned from Arizona or wherever is testament to the fact that people are not staying at home and we are not seeing a majority work from home strategy here and of course as a tourist town people on the ground are what its all about
Old May 4th 2022, 10:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by printer
and then there's the companies that own these massive commercial buildings, more of which i see going up locally this year, these are surplus to requirements because nobody needs a store or an office.

Well quite. If no one uses these white elephants life is better for everyone except tyre retailers and property speculators; less pollution, less stress, less road rage. Mobile barbers ply their trade in electric vans with the clippers powered wirelessly from the van motor. No more standing around wondering wtf the CIBC/RBC/Citi/etc. didn't put up the money to have sufficient lifts.
Old May 4th 2022, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe.

Fully agree. I work in engineering as a mechanical designer, working at home makes my life a lot more difficult... sometimes I am in a meeting I am swtiching between 3-4 drawings on the screen tryng to explain my intentions, or building on someone elses idea, it gets very confusing, in normal times an impromtu sketch would materialise, can't do that anymore, its very hard to get your point accross over a teams meeting.

Added to this people just don't communicate and share information like they would in the office. I started my new job in the middle of all this work at home crap, ....I had to learn systems and software from home.... huge struggle, 14 months later, I still don't feel part of a design team...its the most solitary job I have ever done, I haven't gotten to know my colleagues, like I would normally, no morning personal chats over a coffee, getting to know each other etc, as result communication has suffered, and that really s key...that walk accross the office every day... where you would regulary exchange information with colleagues has gone... the assistance you would give has gone, the assistance you would receive has gone.

I hope we do get back to the office in some regular format again even if its a hybrid.... its vital to the job I do.
Old May 5th 2022, 12:03 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Fully agree. I work in engineering as a mechanical designer, working at home makes my life a lot more difficult... sometimes I am in a meeting I am swtiching between 3-4 drawings on the screen tryng to explain my intentions, or building on someone elses idea, it gets very confusing, in normal times an impromtu sketch would materialise, can't do that anymore, its very hard to get your point accross over a teams meeting.

Added to this people just don't communicate and share information like they would in the office. I started my new job in the middle of all this work at home crap, ....I had to learn systems and software from home.... huge struggle, 14 months later, I still don't feel part of a design team...its the most solitary job I have ever done, I haven't gotten to know my colleagues, like I would normally, no morning personal chats over a coffee, getting to know each other etc, as result communication has suffered, and that really s key...that walk accross the office every day... where you would regulary exchange information with colleagues has gone... the assistance you would give has gone, the assistance you would receive has gone.

I hope we do get back to the office in some regular format again even if its a hybrid.... its vital to the job I do.
I call that "learning by osmosis" and I agree it has really suffered by being out of the office. However, we adapt, and I for one hope I'm never in an office full-time again. Hybrid suits me just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.