British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Almost Canadian May 14th 2020 9:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12853141)
Anyone who has company medical benefits just be aware if your company is paying your portion while on CERB you will be liable to pay them back when u earn again.

I became aware today as I did a few hours and got paid nothing as I was deducted the Excess to cover the “loan” for my medical

Wasn’t aware it was a loan lol “But I know now”

I'd check that as, unless you have agreed this with your employer, they are not permitted to make any such deductions from your paycheque. The only deductions an employer can make are those that they are required to make by law (tax, EI, CPP, etc.) or those you have specifically authorised them to deduct.

magnumpi May 14th 2020 9:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12853150)
I'd check that as, unless you have agreed this with your employer, they are not permitted to make any such deductions from your paycheque. The only deductions an employer can make are those that they are required to make by law (tax, EI, CPP, etc.) or those you have specifically authorised them to deduct.

ouch you are correct, but what is one to do ! I like my job and can’t [email protected] it up over a $200 mistake Subsections 254.1(1) and (2) state that:
  1. No employer shall make deductions from wages or other amounts due to an employee, except as permitted by or under this section.


Pulaski May 14th 2020 9:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12853150)
I'd check that as, unless you have agreed this with your employer, they are not permitted to make any such deductions from your paycheque. The only deductions an employer can make are those that they are required to make by law (tax, EI, CPP, etc.) or those you have specifically authorised them to deduct.

In signing up for medical benefits, I would be willing to bet that you authorized related deductions to be made from your pay cheque.

magnumpi May 14th 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12853164)
In signing up for medical benefits, I would be willing to bet that you authorized related deductions to be made from your pay cheque.

Good point.

So expect a big chunk of wages missing after first pay check

caretaker May 14th 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Replay the day; all trucks, no cars.
https://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwayc...tml/www/5.html

scrubbedexpat091 May 15th 2020 12:36 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Travel not advised this week. Wonder if people will listen or will the highways be packed, but rain is supposed to happen Sat/Sun and with campgrounds closed and such, somewhat limited to what one can do.

BC as of today.
  • 15 more people have been diagnosed with COVID-19.
  • 3 more people have died in the past 24 hours.
  • There have been a total of 2,392 cases and 135 people have died.
  • 1,885 people have recovered.
  • 58 people are in hospital, 12 of them in the ICU.
  • No new community outbreaks.
  • No new outbreaks in long-term care homes.
  • 15 outbreaks continue in long-term care homes, 4 in acute care.
  • Superior Poultry Plant in Coquitlam reopens.

BC testing capacity is 7,000/day anyone showing symptoms can get tested.

BC does not have herd immunity to prevent spread, nor do they know how long immunity lasts.

No Kawasaki Syndrome cases in BC as of today.

serology tests, 2 have been approved in Canada, BC still looking into which they will use.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...y-14-1.5570288


Siouxie May 15th 2020 2:43 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
The beginning of Ontario opening up a little.. https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/...an-reopen.html
Ontario https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-onta...d-19#section-0
Number of cases 21,494 / Change from previous report +258 ( 1.2% increase )
Deceased - 1,798 (8.4%)
Currently under investigation 17,578

The Long Term Care homes are where the majority of deaths are.. :(

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...35ed498a9f.jpg

scrubbedexpat091 May 15th 2020 8:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
PSA: Lysol wipes are not suitable to be used for cleaning your hands, body, nose etc, please don't do this.

I think the BC economy is up the creek, international tourism just accounts for too much revenue to not have a major negative effect and so many work in industries related to tourism who wont likely have jobs to go back to in the near future. I really hope the governments have some sort of viable plan, high rents + high unemployment = a disaster in the making.

"International tourism accounts for between $6.5-billion and $7-billion in annual revenues for the province, said Mr. Finlayson. It’s eclipsed only by forest products and the energy/mining sector in terms of money generators in B.C."

"From the City of Vancouver Covid-19 Impacts Report - ~90,000 jobs (~22% of workforce) were lost since start of the pandemic - Hardest hit sectors include healthcare, accommodation, food/tourism, and retail"

Teaandtoday5 May 16th 2020 12:11 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12853668)
PSA: Lysol wipes are not suitable to be used for cleaning your hands, body, nose etc, please don't do this.

🤣🤣thanks for the advice but there hasn’t been a Lysol wipe to be had for love nor money since this whole thing started. (I did buy some organic mint wipes in whole foods on the first day of lockdown but they were so expensive I still have some left, and I don’t think they would actually kill a virus, or me)

scrubbedexpat091 May 16th 2020 2:28 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12853730)
🤣🤣thanks for the advice but there hasn’t been a Lysol wipe to be had for love nor money since this whole thing started. (I did buy some organic mint wipes in whole foods on the first day of lockdown but they were so expensive I still have some left, and I don’t think they would actually kill a virus, or me)

They have been popping up at Dollaramma along with the Clorox version which is the same active ingredients, at least around these parts. Just have an older family member who turns out is using the wipes to clean hands and nose which we informed this person its not a good idea.


Zoe Bell May 16th 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Our local sobeys has had Lysol wipes in for the last week and a half now

Former Lancastrian May 16th 2020 7:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Whew controversy averted I now know that if referring to the virus as Covid in French then I have to use the feminine la in front of it.For months, the people of France have faced an énigme.
Was Covid-19, the new coronavirus tearing across the globe, masculine or feminine? Grammatically speaking, that is. In practical terms, should the French use a "le" or a "la" before the disease's name?
Now, the group charged with preserving the French language has spoken. Covid-19, the Académie Française decided,is assuredly feminine, despite its increasingly common usage with the masculine article.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/world...rnd/index.html

Teaandtoday5 May 16th 2020 10:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12853131)
Ontario has released details of Phase 1 from May 16th.

https://www.cp24.com/news/phase-1-of...orts-1.4938926

Thanks for posting. Figure skating can restart, a week after ice show was supposed to happen :( But bodes well for ticket ice, and September (second wave notwithstanding)


Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12853941)
Our local sobeys has had Lysol wipes in for the last week and a half now

yay hopefully they will soon appear in the outer reaches of the GTA 🤞

scrubbedexpat091 May 16th 2020 11:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Went for a little drive, the lines to get into stores was so long, longest I have seen at any point in the last 3 months. And far less social distancing, at one covered bus stop there were 4-5 people huddled close together like usual times, didn't appear to be together or know one another, granted it is raining but still. In our building its becoming more difficult to stay away from people because most wont stay away and instead of standing back and letting you off the elevator they barge in or stand right next to it waiting so impossible to maintain any real distance.






dave_j May 22nd 2020 2:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
If you asked people to play russian roulette they'd shy away and yet... very likely someone in this photo will die of the virus.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52754039

BEVS May 22nd 2020 3:13 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12856423)
If you asked people to play russian roulette they'd shy away and yet... very likely someone in this photo will die of the virus.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-52754039

Yes. I said to MrBEVS that if this stealthy deadly virus came with smelly suppurating purple and green pustules , then perhaps people would understand better and be less keen to get it or give it.

Fools.

Paul_Shepherd May 22nd 2020 2:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12856435)
Yes. I said to MrBEVS that if this stealthy deadly virus came with smelly suppurating purple and green pustules , then perhaps people would understand better and be less keen to get it or give it.

Fools.

Yeah….a couple of friends of mine in the UK have turned all American and are having rants that lockdown was a mistake and were in the worse recession for 300 years (quite where that statement came from , I have no idea, makes no sense) and lock down will cause more deaths than the virus….more deaths from normal flu… etc etc

It’s the dammed if you do, damned if you don’t scenario, its easy to make such comments in hind sight, Im pretty sure if there was no lockdown imposed, and they had lost loved ones and/or thousands were infected, with health service overwhelmed, they would be outrage then too…..what are the government doing, why didn’t they lock things down!! Etc etc.

We will never really know the “correct” action that should have been taken….. to be honest I think the only reason they are complaining is because its affects how they enjoy their lives, pubs and restaurants closed, flights grounded so no holidays, no music concerts. This is how a lot of the public react… it’s a selfish view point really, but we are guilty of it in varying degrees. Whether we like it or not, this is a very contagious virus, and a very umpredictable virus, we don’t know what it will do to us individually…it doesn’t just kill older people….and if the health did become overwhelmed it could be a lot more people dying as they couldn’t be treated.

I think the decision to lockdown in many countries was the right decision, and I also think it’s the right decision to slowly start to open up again… stick to toe in the water so to speak.. take it from there..


dbd33 May 22nd 2020 2:44 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12856554)

We will never really know the “correct” action that should have been taken…....

We do know. People in New Zealand and Korea are not dead. People in the UK are.

It may be that, even with an organized government, the UK could not have applied the same approach as those countries but being ineffective is different than being clueless. And I know, we're not supposed to discuss it here.

Paul_Shepherd May 22nd 2020 2:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12856566)
We do know. People in New Zealand and Korea are not dead. People in the UK are.

It may be that, even with an organized government, the UK could not have applied the same approach as those countries but being ineffective is different than being clueless. And I know, we're not supposed to discuss it here.

Obviously as my post implies I am in full agreement with lockdown. But there will always be outrage no matter what route is taken.

The problem the UK had was that it changed tactics, it was going to go with herd immunity then changed to lock down.... the damage was already done then. However as you say, its hard to compare the UK to the likes of New Zealand, the population if the UK is over 16 times that of New Zealand and Im estimating the NZ has a bigger geographical area. The UK should have locked down way earlier than it did....

Former Lancastrian May 22nd 2020 2:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I tend to think the 264 people in Korea who died and the 21 in NZ would say different. Granted those numbers are very low compared to other countries and yes in hindsight we can say we should have done this or that. I tend to think each countries leaders sought information as too which was the best approach to take but for whatever reasons elected not to take the same action as Korea and NZ.

Tumbling_Dice May 22nd 2020 3:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12856570)
Obviously as my post implies I am in full agreement with lockdown. But there will always be outrage no matter what route is taken.

The problem the UK had was that it changed tactics, it was going to go with herd immunity then changed to lock down.... the damage was already done then. However as you say, its hard to compare the UK to the likes of New Zealand, the population if the UK is over 16 times that of New Zealand and Im estimating the NZ has a bigger geographical area. The UK should have locked down way earlier than it did....

I agree with a lot of that. But there are some strange things afoot in the UK. How, for example, does one read the daily whingeing in the Guardian, and the BTL comments, and reconcile that with pictures of London, for example, (which I am informed is a Guardian type "progressive" city) and crowds of people doing what they have always done. The government may have messed up by changing tactics, but the great British public need to bear some responsibility for their behaviour.

The other thing to note is that we are not even at half time in this things... who knows, when it is all over, what the NZ or UK position will be?

Danny B May 22nd 2020 3:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
The thing I don't understand is, NOTHING has changed. There is still no cure & still no vaccine and yet people are going about their business like they are immune.

The only helpful preventative measure I see, is to wear a mask and social distance. How facking hard is it for people to do these two simple steps to prevent the spread? You want to go the beach, sure you can, but social distance. You want to go to food shopping or get your hair cut, sure you can, but wear a mask.

dbd33 May 22nd 2020 3:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice (Post 12856585)
I agree with a lot of that. But there are some strange things afoot in the UK. How, for example, does one read the daily whingeing in the Guardian, and the BTL comments, and reconcile that with pictures of London, for example, (which I am informed is a Guardian type "progressive" city) and crowds of people doing what they have always done. The government may have messed up by changing tactics, but the great British public need to bear some responsibility for their behaviour.

The other thing to note is that we are not even at half time in this things... who knows, when it is all over, what the NZ or UK position will be?

It's the Manchester Guardian so it seems a stretch to suggest that everyone in London would follow Arwa's blitherings to the letter.

BristolUK May 22nd 2020 3:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Just reading that there were nine scenarios for school reopening examined by experts, with two in particular attracting support.
The current plan was apparently not among the nine looked at.

Is this an example of that recruitment policy of hiring “weirdos and misfits with odd skills” for jobs at Number 10?

dbd33 May 22nd 2020 3:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12856588)
get your hair cut, sure you can, but wear a mask.

How can it possibly be safe to have a haircut? The barber's disease leaking bits are a couple of inches from your face and have been right next to the face of very many other people. You may as well take a turn with Stormy Daniels.

Almost Canadian May 22nd 2020 3:53 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12856590)
Just reading that there were nine scenarios for school reopening examined by experts, with two in particular attracting support.
The current plan was apparently not among the nine looked at.

Is this an example of that recruitment policy of hiring “weirdos and misfits with odd skills” for jobs at Number 10?

Here's an alternate view from the BBC's site: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770355

Almost Canadian May 22nd 2020 3:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12856570)
Obviously as my post implies I am in full agreement with lockdown. But there will always be outrage no matter what route is taken.

The problem the UK had was that it changed tactics, it was going to go with herd immunity then changed to lock down.... the damage was already done then. However as you say, its hard to compare the UK to the likes of New Zealand, the population if the UK is over 16 times that of New Zealand and Im estimating the NZ has a bigger geographical area. The UK should have locked down way earlier than it did....

Clearly, the government of Nunavut did the best. Governments from all of the world should have copied what they did. :p

Tumbling_Dice May 22nd 2020 4:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12856589)
It's the Manchester Guardian so it seems a stretch to suggest that everyone in London would follow Arwa's blitherings to the letter.

No idea what you mean there.

dbd33 May 22nd 2020 4:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice (Post 12856605)
No idea what you mean there.

If the entire population of a city were to slavishly follow the suggestions made in a newspaper one might expect that to be the population of the city on the masthead; it's unlikely, for example, that the population of NYC would dedicatedly follow the writings in the Los Angeles Times. Therefore, if one seeks Graun compliance, one should look to the north of England, not to the capital.

Arwa Mahdawi is a half-Palestinian lesbian who has a column in the Grauniad; she's a perennial favourite in the "most stupid Graun article evah" discussions.

Danny B May 22nd 2020 4:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12856593)
How can it possibly be safe to have a haircut? The barber's disease leaking bits are a couple of inches from your face and have been right next to the face of very many other people. You may as well take a turn with Stormy Daniels.

Like it or not, wearing PPE is the new normal.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...5f05cbde6a.jpg



scrubbedexpat091 May 22nd 2020 4:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I will cut my haircuts down to the bare minimum, I'll let it grow out a fair bit before it annoys me. I got my last one in February, so can get to September most likely, but I may just get some clippers and shave it off as hair cuts are an expense that can save money to put towards better use.

The restaurant below us has reopened, nobody seems to be going, their dining room is tiny and I can't imagine they can actually succeed with these new restrictions, why they didn't spend the last 2 months setting up their website for take out, I do not know. They did add uber eats but eh not everyone wants delivery, or to use a 3rd party app.

People also don't seem to be rushing back to work/transit etc, so even though places are opening, people seem to be choosing not to rush out and act like things are normal.

There was a post on reddit, someone took a selfie at 5:30pm on sky train and it was empty except for the one person who took their selfie, normal times at 5:30pm the train would be wall to wall people.

Paul_Shepherd May 22nd 2020 5:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice (Post 12856585)
I agree with a lot of that. But there are some strange things afoot in the UK. How, for example, does one read the daily whingeing in the Guardian, and the BTL comments, and reconcile that with pictures of London, for example, (which I am informed is a Guardian type "progressive" city) and crowds of people doing what they have always done. The government may have messed up by changing tactics, but the great British public need to bear some responsibility for their behaviour.

The other thing to note is that we are not even at half time in this things... who knows, when it is all over, what the NZ or UK position will be?


We have a long way to go yet, including a second wave, which is inevitable, added to this the general complacency of the public, so things could change rapidly.....
I do feel most of the public in any country are pretty clueless, I am not saying I have all the answers, but some of the things I have seen the public do since all this kicked off just makes me shake my head, the toilet paper mystery s an obvious one that immediately springs to mind.

This is why I agree with lockdown, most of the public cannot police themselves so they need to be told, hard to believe but true as the toilet paper factor will reinforce! ;)



Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12856600)
Clearly, the government of Nunavut did the best. Governments from all of the world should have copied what they did. :p

Thats it!! Nunavut have the answer to infection!!

BristolUK May 22nd 2020 7:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12856596)
Here's an alternate view from the BBC's site: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770355

Both reports contain the same information so it doesn't seem especially 'alternate' other than failing to highlight the plan adopted wasn't one of those studied. :unsure:

dave_j May 22nd 2020 7:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12856618)
I will cut my haircuts down to the bare minimum, I'll let it grow out a fair bit before it annoys me. I got my last one in February, so can get to September most likely, but I may just get some clippers and shave it off as hair cuts are an expense that can save money to put towards better use.

I can recommend it. For the first time ever I asked that the clippers set to #2 and had it taken off all over. Very comfortable, easy to wash, but have to wear a hat in the sun.
No more expensive haircuts for me.

scrubbedexpat091 May 22nd 2020 8:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12856670)
I can recommend it. For the first time ever I asked that the clippers set to #2 and had it taken off all over. Very comfortable, easy to wash, but have to wear a hat in the sun.
No more expensive haircuts for me.

I don't get styles, and basically just cut it whatever way the barber feels like, but at this point, eh, shave with the right blade side and easy. I've done it before, and now with more hair loss and it getting thinner, looks better short as well.

My dad hasn't been to a barber in probably 20 years now, he started shaving his hair short around 40 ish.

I'd probably keep my hair in shorter nicer look doing it myself, saves at minimum $100-$150 a year, and it certainly doesn't cost that much to maintain clippers.

magnumpi May 22nd 2020 8:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12856684)
I don't get styles, and basically just cut it whatever way the barber feels like, but at this point, eh, shave with the right blade side and easy. I've done it before, and now with more hair loss and it getting thinner, looks better short as well.

My dad hasn't been to a barber in probably 20 years now, he started shaving his hair short around 40 ish.

I'd probably keep my hair in shorter nicer look doing it myself, saves at minimum $100-$150 a year, and it certainly doesn't cost that much to maintain clippers.

I have little hair, so shave my own. Maybe go thru a shaver ever 3-4 years

BristolUK May 22nd 2020 9:49 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12856670)
I can recommend it. For the first time ever I asked that the clippers set to #2 and had it taken off all over. Very comfortable, easy to wash, but have to wear a hat in the sun.
No more expensive haircuts for me.

:thumbup:

You'll be down to 1 and then zero in no time.

MillieF May 25th 2020 1:53 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I am a bit confused about this term asymptomatic? I have looked it up and am no clearer...does this mean that if I live in Ontario and feel fine I could be theoretically ill and infecting vast numbers :ohmy: Would I have no inkling? This, if the case, is horrific.

caretaker May 25th 2020 3:13 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12857487)
I am a bit confused about this term asymptomatic? I have looked it up and am no clearer...does this mean that if I live in Ontario and feel fine I could be theoretically ill and infecting vast numbers :ohmy: Would I have no inkling? This, if the case, is horrific.

Correct. Typhoid Millie.

Atlantic Xpat May 25th 2020 11:51 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12856670)
I can recommend it. For the first time ever I asked that the clippers set to #2 and had it taken off all over. Very comfortable, easy to wash, but have to wear a hat in the sun.
No more expensive haircuts for me.

Those of us folically challenged have the advantage. I've had a number two on the bits of my head that have hair for years. I did used to go to a local hairdresser every three weeks and she'd cut it for a tenner but since the lockdown the Mrs has done it with a set of clippers. I view colleagues on Webex meetings wailing and gnashing their teeth about the length their hair - the blokes generally, not the ladies - and feel a little smug!


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:21 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.