Coronavirus

Old Feb 16th 2022, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B
Here in BC, you were not able to dance at a wedding
Thank God some of these rules are being changed tomorrow...
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions
Some of this is totally ridiculous. I mean they say you can now "mingle" in a restaurant. What exactly are the rules for this? Masks are still mandatory when not seated so in order to mingle i must stand up put on mask and walk to another table at which point i must stay masked up if standing while talking to the seated unmasked people or if i can find a spare chair to pull up he presto i can remove my mask until returning to my table. Then there is the nightclubs and bars where you can now enjoy full capacity BUT according to the revised order dancing is ok yet:
  • Dancing is allowed when wearing a mask indoor
I'm sure clubbers would be thrilled with this idea. It seems nonsensical to allow full seated capacity at a restaurant and allow removal of all the protective screens between tables and other barriers while all the double vaccinated people are happily enjoying their drinks and meals without masks yet we still have to put one on to enter or leave the premises.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 16th 2022 at 10:20 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Feb 16th 2022, 2:24 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The problem is that the Canadian government hasn't exactly done an impressive job in the pandemic. I'd say, even the UK under Boris Johnson, whom I distrust deeply, has handled the matter better.
Have you forgotten that Canada has several governments and health is run by the provincial ones?
Old Feb 16th 2022, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Have you forgotten that Canada has several governments and health is run by the provincial ones?
No, I haven't. But I could also use the same tone and say, have you forgotten that health and the NHS is devolved in the UK?
Old Feb 16th 2022, 11:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I haven't. But I could also use the same tone and say, have you forgotten that health and the NHS is devolved in the UK?
Surely this just comes down to deaths. The UK had proportionately many more deaths and so the pandemic was handled less well in the UK.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Here in BC, you were not able to dance at a wedding
I could never do that anyway. I cringe at the memory of my brother's wedding do when I asked the DJ for a particular song to be played for the couple, only for the DJ to play it, preceded by insisting I come to the dance floor and dance with the bride. Nobody else dancing at that moment, just me and her. In front of everyone. I can't dance. Please, floor, open up and swallow me.

It seemed like hours before anyone joined us.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 12:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For starters they could have ordered the vaccines the same way as they did in the UK or in the US. The UK started vaccinating way way sooner.
The UK needed to because of the way the government had cocked it all up at that time.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely this just comes down to deaths. The UK had proportionately many more deaths and so the pandemic was handled less well in the UK.
In that respect yes.
However the bureaucracy I've seen in other countries regarding getting vaccinated was just a nightmare.
Just think about Canada. Today on CBC Radio 1, a woman speaking about getting vaccinated in Newfoundland, and once in Ontario, is now 3 times vaccinated, but is so far refused the QR code.
I've known of people who received their first dose in mainland Europe and the 2nd and 3rd in the UK on the NHS, - and hand no problems, getting that one recognized. QR code et all.

I think Australia was even worse, and way slower.
What I also missed very much is being a bit more open minded about regulations. Especially countries like Australia, NZ and Canada could have looked a bit more at the UK, had a bit more open minded conversations on how to proceed, - at least in the Commonwealth, I would have expected that.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Feb 16th 2022 at 1:11 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 1:26 pm
Oscar nominated

The Beaverton

Peaceful guns, democratic machetes seized from Alberta convoy protest
Sources report that the RCMP have arrested 11 people at the Coutts border blockade who planned to peacefully participate in the democratic process with firearms, body armour and voluminous ammunition caches.

“This convoy supports the exchange of ideas through civil discourse,” a lawyer for the detained said. “And sometimes the best way to politely exchange ideas is through the use of high-capacity magazines.”

The RCMP seized 18’’ voting machetes, civic engagement body armour, and difference of opinion handguns, among other items....
...and so on
Old Feb 16th 2022, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Just think about Canada. Today on CBC Radio 1, a woman speaking about getting vaccinated in Newfoundland, and once in Ontario, is now 3 times vaccinated, but is so far refused the QR code..
Yes I heard that. Not so much refused, just not being recognised. And obviously freakish circumstances, not helped by her decision to get vaccinated in a province she was visiting rather than resident in and not having a health card appropriate to that province.

I'm not sure what the rules were on visiting different households at the time, let alone going to another province where such things have been at least discouraged in these parts so it may have been unwise to have travelled, possibly broken the different household rules depending on how many households she involved and now made worse by using a health authority that doesn't match her health card.

Of course it's bureaucracy but it shouldn't come as a surprise.

This province, NB, recognises proof of the jabs - in my case that's one document with the original 2 jabs and then one with the booster - as well as the QR code. In addition, from the official government site I can print proof of all three jabs and there's a fourth option with a green tick just for the province.

Four different options of proof, easily obtainable. Five if you include printing the code.

If 'backward' NB can do that so can all the other provinces.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes I heard that. Not so much refused, just not being recognised. And obviously freakish circumstances, not helped by her decision to get vaccinated in a province she was visiting rather than resident in and not having a health card appropriate to that province.

I'm not sure what the rules were on visiting different households at the time, let alone going to another province where such things have been at least discouraged in these parts so it may have been unwise to have travelled, possibly broken the different household rules depending on how many households she involved and now made worse by using a health authority that doesn't match her health card.

Of course it's bureaucracy but it shouldn't come as a surprise.

This province, NB, recognises proof of the jabs - in my case that's one document with the original 2 jabs and then one with the booster - as well as the QR code. In addition, from the official government site I can print proof of all three jabs and there's a fourth option with a green tick just for the province.

Four different options of proof, easily obtainable. Five if you include printing the code.

If 'backward' NB can do that so can all the other provinces.
The thing is I was missing the flexibility and the reality as well.
It's not unusual to move from province A to province B during the pandemic, temporarily or otherwise. Also if you were offered the vaccine in any province for whatever reason, any of us would have grabbed the chance and gotten vaccinated. Remember in the early days, it was hard to get the vaccine.

And the reason for travel might not be as punishing-happy provincial politicians assume leisure and vacation, but simply job reasons, income earing a livelihood.
Thus I think it's not too much to ask to have some flexibility on people getting vaccinated in different provinces.

The case of this woman which was reported on CBC Radio 1 is most likely not the only isolated case. She did what was asked from her, gotten vaccinated, and get's a treatment same as somebody who refused the vaccine.

Yes, the UK had a higher death rate, and Canada a lower one, but Canada didn't exactly impress on flexibility and reasoning.
I often think that Canada was only seen as doing better by those people and the kind of media who believe in the government and their decisions.
It was always a bit of believe what you want to believe or think you have to believe than realistic approaches.

Same goes for the travel restrictions or the snap election by Trudeau.

Old Feb 16th 2022, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Does the document say how long ago he had it and recovered? Since the science says that immunity (natural or vax) wears off, hence subsequent doses of the vaccine, it would be useful to know how soon his might wear off and does he propose to get subsequent bouts of Covid?
No it doesn't. As you are likely aware, those that have been infected have protection that lasts longer than those that have only been vaccinated, so your point is somewhat moot.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

It's not unusual to move from province A to province B during the pandemic, temporarily or otherwise.
Oh but it was in the part of Canada concerned. At the beginning there was an outright ban on people crossing provincial borders in Atlantic Canada with very few exceptions, like people who lived one side of the border and worked the other side.

As time went by rules relaxed a bit and some limited border crossing was allowed but you had to register your intended plans in advance and then present the necessary documents when you wanted to cross. There were different rules at different times, some requiring self isolation. Different areas (even within a province) had different phases of 'pandemic recovery' to others that at any time might have limited people to their own household, only 2 households, 10 people and so on.

As I stated there is a very good chance that she broke covid rules on households and numbers in addition to crossing the border, which even when rules totally relaxed was still discouraged.
Also if you were offered the vaccine in any province for whatever reason, any of us would have grabbed the chance and gotten vaccinated. Remember in the early days, it was hard to get the vaccine.
Absolutely. I'd do it too. But I would do it knowing that while it protected me it's a different jurisdiction and might cause an issue when somewhere else.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh but it was in the part of Canada concerned. At the beginning there was an outright ban on people crossing provincial borders in Atlantic Canada with very few exceptions, like people who lived one side of the border and worked the other side.

As time went by rules relaxed a bit and some limited border crossing was allowed but you had to register your intended plans in advance and then present the necessary documents when you wanted to cross. There were different rules at different times, some requiring self isolation. Different areas (even within a province) had different phases of 'pandemic recovery' to others that at any time might have limited people to their own household, only 2 households, 10 people and so on.

As I stated there is a very good chance that she broke covid rules on households and numbers in addition to crossing the border, which even when rules totally relaxed was still discouraged.

Absolutely. I'd do it too. But I would do it knowing that while it protected me it's a different jurisdiction and might cause an issue when somewhere else.
The thing is, a vaccine is still a vaccine, no matter where it's administered, provided it's the same manufacturer, Pfizer, Moderna, J&J for instance. That's at least how I see it, but opinions often differed more during the pandemic. Same storm, but everybody in a different size boat.

Actually come to think of it now, the UK made a silly fuss on that, allowing more travel only for those who would demonstrate a vaccination by the NHS and not by another country.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In that respect yes.
However the bureaucracy I've seen in other countries regarding getting vaccinated was just a nightmare.
Just think about Canada. Today on CBC Radio 1, a woman speaking about getting vaccinated in Newfoundland, and once in Ontario, is now 3 times vaccinated, but is so far refused the QR code.
I've known of people who received their first dose in mainland Europe and the 2nd and 3rd in the UK on the NHS, - and hand no problems, getting that one recognized. QR code et all.

I think Australia was even worse, and way slower.
What I also missed very much is being a bit more open minded about regulations. Especially countries like Australia, NZ and Canada could have looked a bit more at the UK, had a bit more open minded conversations on how to proceed, - at least in the Commonwealth, I would have expected that.
What would be the value in having a QR code? (Note that I looked up what a QR code is on seeing this post, I now know what it is but not why one someone should want one).
Old Feb 16th 2022, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
What would be the value in having a QR code? (Note that I looked up what a QR code is on seeing this post, I now know what it is but not why one someone should want one).
It's just that one is almost always asked for a QR code to prove the vaccination status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.