British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

BristolUK Feb 13th 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

5 yearly? Isn't it once only ?

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12805892)
Recommended every 5 years if an underlying chronic condition apparently.


Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12805897)
not if the person was 65 or older when they received the first vaccine...or so I’ve read. .

If you're getting the first one after reaching 65 then you're not getting it because of the chronic conditions though. Maybe that's the difference.
I was answering for me, based on what my doc says and having had first Pneumo shot aged 57 and at least two chronic conditions. Maybe two and two halves :lol:

But reading a bit more one might conclude that for an otherwise healthy person aged 65 one is enough, as Bats suggested, while the further one is away from 65 and with chronic conditions, more than one or two is likely.

tumbleweedly Feb 14th 2020 12:56 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51491763

This puts it at a whole new level of uncertainty and probable panic.

Jsmth321 Feb 14th 2020 9:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
5th case in BC, female in her 30's traveled from Shanghai and lives somewhere in the Interior Health Authority region. She and any close contacts are self isolated at home.

Seems good so far that most if not all the cases in BC have not needed hospitalization.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6552744/b...Y5L7Zfi0BFFWi4

MillieF Feb 15th 2020 12:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I see France has had its first confirmed death from Coronavirus.

Reading the symptoms it doesn’t seem at all extraordinary, one could have those symptoms every year and just put it down to ‘feeling off colour’.

I have always thought that a cruise seemed the most ghastly way of travel and would avoid it like the plague (pun intended). It certainly wouldn’t incentivize me to get on board one now, with a load of coughing others...dreadful thought.

tumbleweedly Feb 15th 2020 10:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
The victim was an 80 year old tourist from China here on holiday with his 50 year old daughter. She is still in hospital in North Paris, just a 4 hour train ride from us and she is doing well and expected to be released soon. Sad story really.

They came to france on the 16 of January.

It is the first death from the covid-19 in Europe and UK.

Jsmth321 Feb 21st 2020 9:34 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
6th case in BC, woman in her 30's and recovering at home. No travel to China, but she did travel to Iran, doesn't appear they know where she was exposed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.5470757

dave_j Feb 23rd 2020 6:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://www.theguardian.com/business...tbreak-deepens

It appears that the virus is doing something no politician dares to do, it's reducing the world economic activity and hence generation of greenhouse gases.
Is this natural science fighting back?
Is this a warning?
Can we expect a worse virus in the future?

Danny B Feb 23rd 2020 9:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Air Canada has confirmed that a passenger aboard one of its flights from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine's Day has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

Jsmth321 Feb 23rd 2020 10:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12810728)
Air Canada has confirmed that a passenger aboard one of its flights from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine's Day has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

Sounds like its the lady who is the 6th confirmed case, she arrived from Iran, and so luckily not a new case on top of that case.

Looks like only the crew and passengers within 3 rows will be notified. Crews can continue flying, but can opt to take 14 days off and self monitor.






Teaandtoday5 Feb 24th 2020 12:55 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12810734)
Sounds like its the lady who is the 6th confirmed case, she arrived from Iran, and so luckily not a new case on top of that case.

Looks like only the crew and passengers within 3 rows will be notified. Crews can continue flying, but can opt to take 14 days off and self monitor.

there doesn’t seem to be any consistency in approach? Either here or in the UK. If you’re flown home by the government you are put in isolation, otherwise it’s yeah, whatever...🤷‍♀️

Jsmth321 Feb 24th 2020 4:39 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12810781)
there doesn’t seem to be any consistency in approach? Either here or in the UK. If you’re flown home by the government you are put in isolation, otherwise it’s yeah, whatever...🤷‍♀️

The reactions of various countries has been a bit interesting, is the US for instance overreacting or is Canada under-reacting, hard to know at this point, only time will tell.


spouse of scouse Feb 24th 2020 4:43 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12810728)
Air Canada has confirmed that a passenger aboard one of its flights from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine's Day has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.

A few days ago Australia had 15 confirmed cases but 7 passengers on the Diamond Princess repatriation flight to Darwin have tested positive, so 22 now. Those 7 have been flown to their home states for medical treatment, the rest remain in quarantine in Darwin.

tumbleweedly Feb 24th 2020 11:53 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
A few days ago in Italy, a small country compared to US or Canada, had 87 cases and then this morning reports 150 cases.

The Mardi Gras celebrations here in France go on as if nothing could be finer in life than going out and being in bars and close spaces with lots and lots of drunk people. IDK what is going on because there has been a flu epidemic called here in France for two weeks? Everone is coughing a lot, yet cases of Covid 19 remain around 10.
I hope that low number is true rather than no one is bothering getting tested and they surmise its just the regular flu?


Zoe Bell Feb 24th 2020 1:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I have a horrible feeling that in a week or so's time our event that opens on Sunday is going to be ground zero for it spreading throughout Toronto and the world!

Siouxie Feb 24th 2020 4:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12796538)
oh yay! about to host a conference of 25000 people, many of whom are from China.
i have been designated the companies soon-to-be-expert on all things Corona virus related

this is going to be fun


Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811042)
I have a horrible feeling that in a week or so's time our event that opens on Sunday is going to be ground zero for it spreading throughout Toronto and the world!

I am shocked that in light of the rapid spread of this virus the conference hasn't been cancelled. It's a disaster waiting to happen - 25,000 attendees plus exhibitors - some from China/the Far East - in a confined space.. and all the people in the hotels they will stay at, the public transit they will use, the airport travellers......... if any of them are carriers or have it, they could infect millions.

a convention for people, companies and organizations. In addition to meeting over 1,100 exhibitors, 2,500 investors and 25,800 attendees from 132 countries,

Zoe Bell Feb 24th 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Its complicated.
the economics of cancelling are HUGE

Siouxie Feb 24th 2020 4:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811154)
Its complicated.
the economics of cancelling are HUGE

The potential loss of life worldwide is HUGE - which is more important?

dave_j Feb 24th 2020 5:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811042)
I have a horrible feeling that in a week or so's time our event that opens on Sunday is going to be ground zero for it spreading throughout Toronto and the world!

So it'll be your fault then..... Oooww I'd run away now.... :confused:

bats Feb 24th 2020 5:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811042)
I have a horrible feeling that in a week or so's time our event that opens on Sunday is going to be ground zero for it spreading throughout Toronto and the world!

Do Public Health give advice on this? What to do, whether or not to proceed?

Zoe Bell Feb 24th 2020 5:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
we have taken advice from Toronto public health, Health Canada , the CDC and anyone else we can get our hands on.
we don't cancel for flu, which by my stats you are about 100 times more likely to contract

bats Feb 24th 2020 7:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811189)
we have taken advice from Toronto public health, Health Canada , the CDC and anyone else we can get our hands on.
we don't cancel for flu, which by my stats you are about 100 times more likely to contract

Yes the flu comparison is valid. When I read news about COVID and reactions to it, Hazmat etc. I'm puzzled as the why we never do the same for flu. Is it solely because there's a vaccine for flu? Or is the new virus more contagious/infectious?

Zoe Bell Feb 24th 2020 7:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
i've been looking at stats because I'm curious. CoVid-19 seems to have a 4% fatality rate, but from whta i can see this is vastly inflated by deaths in China. It seems that if you get it outside of China you are pretty much guaranteed to survive.
interesting , not quite sure why that is though.

from what i can see CoVid is about 100 times more lethal than flu is on average, but about you are about 100 times less likely to catch it, putting the risks at a comparable level IMO

we've done the sensible stuff, increased cleaning, enough hand sanitiser to drown an elephant etc etc.

I managed to source unicorn hand sanitiser with glitter in it for myself, I'm especially proud of that

spouse of scouse Feb 24th 2020 9:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811253)
i've been looking at stats because I'm curious. CoVid-19 seems to have a 4% fatality rate, but from whta i can see this is vastly inflated by deaths in China. It seems that if you get it outside of China you are pretty much guaranteed to survive.
interesting , not quite sure why that is though.

from what i can see CoVid is about 100 times more lethal than flu is on average, but about you are about 100 times less likely to catch it, putting the risks at a comparable level IMO

we've done the sensible stuff, increased cleaning, enough hand sanitiser to drown an elephant etc etc.

I managed to source unicorn hand sanitiser with glitter in it for myself, I'm especially proud of that

Be careful, if the conference attendees see your glitter sanitiser they'll all want the same :lol:

Good luck with it Zoe, I've been involved in logistics for big conferences and know the work that goes into them.



Siouxie Feb 24th 2020 10:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...nical-guidance
https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=1ac4218d_2

tumbleweedly Feb 24th 2020 11:55 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Italy had 3 cases last Friday, they have 228 monday night with 7 dead according to CNN. The origin is not known but the cases seem to all have been originated in Italy.

In Milan shelves in food stores are empty of canned goods and dry goods like bisquits. Towns are under strict quarentine and many schools are closed.

It seems to spread fast and/or is unknown because of not testing or lying in wait as asymptomatic cases.

I am going with 'better safe than sorry'. Regardless of the expense.

Do what you will, take care and be safe.

tumbleweedly Feb 25th 2020 12:07 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811190)
By the way i have never outright mentioned what company i work for. I know its obvious but I don't appreciate the naming and shaming on here. I have asked for my company name to be removed.

Honestly I think they should close for flu if is at epidemic levels as it is here in France. Everyone is sick atm and who knows if people who sneeze and cough have flu or SARS Cov2 or not?

Its scary really. Diabetes has been mentioned as giving practically a death sentence if its combined with the SARS Cov2 virus. So many people are diabetic or pre diabetic these days.

I'm sorry you feel shamed. I don't think people are being rude to you, we are all in the same boat about how are we to deal with this?

Jsmth321 Feb 25th 2020 3:54 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
7th case in BC confirmed, a man in his 40's who was in close contact with the woman previously confirmed last week who had traveled from Iran. The man is isolated at home.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...iran-1.5473758

Zoe Bell Feb 25th 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
the problem is thought that it is actually economically irresponsible for us to cancel the event. And i don;t mean for us as an organisation.
I'm not exaggerating when i say global scale contracts are won or lost onsite, gdps of small countries are boosted, we would be irresponsible to push that kind of economic impact on our attendees.
we will host , make everyone as safe as we can. We don't force people to attend

bats Feb 25th 2020 3:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12811630)
the problem is thought that it is actually economically irresponsible for us to cancel the event. And i don;t mean for us as an organisation.
I'm not exaggerating when i say global scale contracts are won or lost onsite, gdps of small countries are boosted, we would be irresponsible to push that kind of economic impact on our attendees.
we will host , make everyone as safe as we can. We don't force people to attend

l have read an article, sorry I can't recall where, that argues that cancellations of events won't help prevent spread and as you say will have a huge economic effect on a global scale. They talked of supply shortages too.

We should our hands frequently, use hand sanitiser, don't touch our face with our ands, don't shake hands. Probably cut back on random snogging. I do love the idea of sparkly hand sanitiser, you can see that you've covered all of your hands and others can see that they are clean.

somebody upthread was conflating COVID-19 with SARS, this is not SARS.

Jingsamichty Feb 25th 2020 3:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Is this really something so very different to run-of-the-mill but previously unsensationalised respiratory infections? With an apparent fatality rate of 2-4% it hardly seems worse than a "normal" flu strain. Is all the panic and lockdowns really necessary?

Zoe Bell Feb 25th 2020 4:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
it honestly isn't IMO, but as you can see from this thread, public perception is everything.
and sparkly hand sanitiser rocks

dave_j Feb 25th 2020 4:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12811750)
Is this really something so very different to run-of-the-mill but previously unsensationalised respiratory infections? With an apparent fatality rate of 2-4% it hardly seems worse than a "normal" flu strain. Is all the panic and lockdowns really necessary?

I did wonder about this myself.
We suffer enormous wildfires because we prevent small ones and thereby accumulate fuel for the big one.
Are we doing the same here?
Perhaps we should simply stand back and let it run it's course, survivors would be immune and the population as a whole would be a little less vulnerable to the next similar outbreak.
Of course, because the virus doesn't discriminate and because it might affect the elderly more virulently, myself included, those older people who happen to be in charge might have a personal interest in trying to keep it in check.

Jerseygirl Feb 25th 2020 5:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
One one hand I think maybe it’s scaremongering, on the other hand I wonder if there is something they know and we don’t. :unsure:

Pulaski Feb 25th 2020 6:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12811731)
.... Somebody upthread was conflating COVID-19 with SARS, this is not SARS.

Er, the World Health Organization says that "SARS-CoV-2, .... causes COVID-19". In other words, this is a type of SARS, and just because the Covis-19 outbreak isn't the same disease as the previously well known SARS outbreak, doesn't mean that COVID-19 isn't also a type of SARS.

Jsmth321 Feb 25th 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Our neighbor has stocked up on a ton of supplies, almost looked like they were opening a store they had so much stuff in the hallway, they said they went to Costco to get 2 weeks of supplies in case there is a pandemic.

If there is one we know who in the building has the food...ha ha. We could probably get through 3-4 days with what we have food wise then it would start to get difficult.

Pulaski Feb 26th 2020 12:20 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12811766)
I did wonder about this myself.
We suffer enormous wildfires because we prevent small ones and thereby accumulate fuel for the big one.
Are we doing the same here?
Perhaps we should simply stand back and let it run it's course, survivors would be immune and the population as a whole would be a little less vulnerable to the next similar outbreak.
Of course, because the virus doesn't discriminate and because it might affect the elderly more virulently, myself included, those older people who happen to be in charge might have a personal interest in trying to keep it in check.

If the virus take hold in Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, Dhaka, Karachi, and Lahore, and a number of other cities in South and SE Asia, there are going to be wildfires for sure!

Jsmth321 Feb 26th 2020 2:36 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12811795)
One one hand I think maybe it’s scaremongering, on the other hand I wonder if there is something they know and we don’t. :unsure:

Seems to be the big question.

US CDC director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases seems to be under the belief its now a not will it spread but a when will it spread scenario.

I don't see any benefit for officials to scaremonger and its always better to be over prepared rather than under prepared.

The lack of knowledge of this virus probably also has officials erring more on the side of caution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/h...avirus-us.html




spouse of scouse Feb 26th 2020 4:04 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
From necessity I'm paying attention to the official travel warnings/advice of my own and every country we'll be visiting on our holiday which starts in 7 weeks. Multiple reasons for this.

Travelling to an area against the Oz government's advice will invalidate our travel insurance, meaning no health cover, no accommodation or additional travel/flight cover, no repatriation cover, no cover for anything.

The UK will be our base for most of the holiday. We booked flights and accommodation for Sicily and Madrid some time ago. On the way home, Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur.

While in the UK we plan to stay with Scouse's older brother and sis-in-law in a small house. Both are over 70. One has a heart condition, the other diabetes. While looking at alternative (independent) accommodation last night I said to Scouse, what's the point? We're mainly going on this trip to spend some time with them. With all the other things to think about as well, plus the possibility of being quarantined/self-isolated, should we just cancel the whole trip?

Which brings me full circle to the travel insurance thing. This was going to be a big trip for Scouse and I, and quite possibly the last time we'll visit the UK. Accordingly, we've pushed the boat out a bit and have spent around $30,000 so far on flights and accommodation. It's not an insignificant amount of money for us. The two brothers are looking forward to their time together so much.

If only we (and everyone) just KNEW! Like others have also said, I jump from one scenario to the other until I'm bloody dizzy. From telling myself off for all this drama about a virus that seems to equate in terms of severity with influenza, to passing on to family or strangers something that might kill them, and all points in between. Buggered if I know.

So, I'll just revert to the first line of my post.



bats Feb 26th 2020 4:20 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12811807)
Er, the World Health Organization says that "SARS-CoV-2, .... causes COVID-19". In other words, this is a type of SARS, and just because the Covis-19 outbreak isn't the same disease as the previously well known SARS outbreak, doesn't mean that COVID-19 isn't also a type of SARS.

SARS-CoV-2 is the virus not the disease.
They aren't the same disease.

BritInParis Feb 26th 2020 10:05 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12812054)
SARS-CoV-2 is the virus not the disease.
They aren't the same disease.

It’s the same disease caused by different strains of the same virus - SARS-CoV in 2003 and SARS-CoV-2 in 2019/2020, hence the nomenclature.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:43 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.