Coronavirus

Old Dec 17th 2021, 10:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...I think anyone can see now that the threat level is very very low with Omicrom... a couple more weeks will confirm that... but the fact there are 95000 cases every day in the UK (majority omicron) and there has only been one death from it kind of says something.... it says to me calm the f*** down!! this is the bog roll saga all over again!...
That 95000 is a record isn't it? Yes.
I believe the total very quickly followed another daily record. Yes.
So the newly dominant version of Covid has caused record infections without there having been enough time to have a similar knock on effect of deaths.

IIRC the UK no longer counts deaths as covid related if they occur after 28 days have passed. That's a bit like saying death can occur up to 4 weeks after getting it, no?
Have we reached the point at which Omicron has infected similar numbers of people where we can say it's similar? I don't believe we have.
Remember we had a variant that was less contagious but more dangerous if you got it? And another that was more contagious but not so dangerous?

We were told all this from the very beginning. There would be variants and the more infections the more chances of more variants. Have we forgotten this?
And with all these variants that may or may not be more contagious or may or may not be so serious in symptoms, what if there's one that makes us all think it's just a cold, we have few, if any symptoms, but the actual effect on our bodies is actually worse and on the 29th day it kills. Maybe that while we have a sniffle, some of the little buggers are actually cluttering up our lungs like all the other people we knew about because they were sick enough for these things to be looked at but while we're only having a sniffle we dismiss the idea of our lungs being obliterated because, "well I don't feel that bad."

Or maybe that like the other versions, some people get long covid but that second time around instead of just suffering Omicron long covid they die.

In six months time, Omicron becomes known as the silent killer - you know, like many other medical conditions that kill silently. And then people ask "why weren't we warned about this?"

And if I'm still here then I shall say, "you were, you just decided you were more expert than all the people who warned you it was too early to tell."

And, no, I'm not running scared. I'm just wary. Everything we were warned about has happened. We are still being warned and so far the people and places where people have not heeded the warnings have suffered the most.

Until we have experts saying the worst is over I think it reasonable to assume it's not.

Old Dec 17th 2021, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Lockdown by stealth
Old Dec 17th 2021, 8:32 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If I had to shut down my business in England because of one death and 65 people in Hospital, I'd be facking furious.

There are currently 65 patients in hospitals in England with the Omicron variants of coronavirus, according to the UK Health Security Agency.

However, the number of deaths remained unchanged at one.
By most accounts there is going to be a tremendous wave of Omicron infections in a few weeks time (January). Over a million cases are projected. What's not known is how lethal the Omicron variant is. Very preliminary data from South Africa (young and Covid recovered population) us that it's not so lethal, but that does not necessarily hold true for the UK. An abundance of caution may lead to some business closures; disregarding caution may lead to thousands of Omicron deaths (including indirect deaths from ICU's being filled with Covid patients).

Old Dec 17th 2021, 8:38 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

And if I'm still here then I shall say, "you were, you just decided you were more expert than all the people who warned you it was too early to tell."

And, no, I'm not running scared. I'm just wary. Everything we were warned about has happened. We are still being warned and so far the people and places where people have not heeded the warnings have suffered the most.

Until we have experts saying the worst is over I think it reasonable to assume it's not.
Indeed. The public can deny reality as much as they want, viruses don't care.
Old Dec 17th 2021, 8:40 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Lockdown by stealth
Quick, find your tin foil hat !
Old Dec 17th 2021, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Its absolutely ridiculous.... the world's governments have lost their minds.... and the media just amplify it and make people anxious and full of fear for nothing! I think anyone can see now that the threat level is very very low with Omicrom... a couple more weeks will confirm that... but the fact there are 95000 cases every day in the UK (majority omicron) and there has only been one death from it kind of says something.... it says to me calm the f*** down!!
It will be very interesting to replay this post about 2 months down the track...
Old Dec 17th 2021, 11:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner
It will be very interesting to replay this post about 2 months down the track...
And, indeed, mine. But hindsight doesn't make either of them wrong.

Both Paul land myself have actually said the same thing about it not being clear yet.
He's convinced it's an overreaction and we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks, I've said it's too early to tell and consider there's enough information that is known to remain wary.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 12:29 am
Oscar nominated

When you see governments around the world - especially those who acted quickly first time around and clearly benefited from swift and correct action - setting up various measures to try to combat the latest surge and its potential knock on effects, I'm afraid that when someone stands out in opposition I am reminded of the War of the Worlds movie when that Priest approaches one of the alien spacecraft that have been busy incinerating people, thinking he can reason with them.

And within seconds they blow him to smithereens.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

When you see governments around the world - especially those who acted quickly first time around and clearly benefited from swift and correct action - setting up various measures to try to combat the latest surge and its potential knock on effects, I'm afraid that when someone stands out in opposition I am reminded of the War of the Worlds movie when that Priest approaches one of the alien spacecraft that have been busy incinerating people, thinking he can reason with them.

And within seconds they blow him to smithereens.
Don't let dbd33 see this, he may think it's a great idea for the unvaccinated.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 11:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Don't let dbd33 see this, he may think it's a great idea for the unvaccinated.
Anti-vaxxers
Old Dec 19th 2021, 2:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Anti-vaxxers
Well quite, if someone has a medical reason why they cannot be vaccinated, then locking them in a dungeon for the duration is quite enough. It's only those who are unvaccinated by choice who need to be put to death.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

What about those who are antivax for religious reasons?
Old Dec 19th 2021, 10:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand
What about those who are antivax for religious reasons?
Following a religion is just a personal preference. Why people choose not to be vaxxed shouldn't matter to public policy; all such people are a menace to society.

Last edited by dbd33; Dec 19th 2021 at 10:51 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 10:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense- 24 Sussex is the residence of the Prime Minister.
Old Dec 19th 2021, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

That 95000 is a record isn't it? Yes.
I believe the total very quickly followed another daily record. Yes.
So the newly dominant version of Covid has caused record infections without there having been enough time to have a similar knock on effect of deaths.

IIRC the UK no longer counts deaths as covid related if they occur after 28 days have passed. That's a bit like saying death can occur up to 4 weeks after getting it, no?
Have we reached the point at which Omicron has infected similar numbers of people where we can say it's similar? I don't believe we have.
Remember we had a variant that was less contagious but more dangerous if you got it? And another that was more contagious but not so dangerous?

We were told all this from the very beginning. There would be variants and the more infections the more chances of more variants. Have we forgotten this?
And with all these variants that may or may not be more contagious or may or may not be so serious in symptoms, what if there's one that makes us all think it's just a cold, we have few, if any symptoms, but the actual effect on our bodies is actually worse and on the 29th day it kills. Maybe that while we have a sniffle, some of the little buggers are actually cluttering up our lungs like all the other people we knew about because they were sick enough for these things to be looked at but while we're only having a sniffle we dismiss the idea of our lungs being obliterated because, "well I don't feel that bad."

Or maybe that like the other versions, some people get long covid but that second time around instead of just suffering Omicron long covid they die.

In six months time, Omicron becomes known as the silent killer - you know, like many other medical conditions that kill silently. And then people ask "why weren't we warned about this?"

Of course you are quite right Bristol... no one really knows how "deadly" this new Omicron variant is yet, as there has not been enough data gathered, but I am going out on a limb and saying that it is an over reaction, and I hope I am right. I have been reading a fair bit on the life cycle of a typical pandemic... and if this one goes the same way as others have, this Omicron variant is the first sign of the beginning of the end.... in that its highly contagious but a lot weaker, and therefore not actually deadly. I think it could be potentially deadly to the unvaccinated, as I do believe the vaccine works.... and this is where I think we should now be able to get out there and from herd immunity as a collective, which would also result in the virus mutating and becoming weaker. until its no longer deadly.

I have no idea if I am right, its just a conclusion I have arrived at after reading a little about past pandemics. If I am right, then it will be great for us all....except that another Christmas and new year have been ruined. We will know in the next couple of weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.