Coronavirus

Old Dec 11th 2021, 12:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have some sympathy for this view, you do have the issue as to where this goes, where do you draw the line, what about the body positive movement for example.
You draw the line at a highly transmissable virus.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 3:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's too much trouble to type "voluntarily unvaccinated" every time, though I did so above. If I use the term "unvaxxed", or some variant thereof, you may assume it to mean "unvaccinated by choice". Similarly, "free" healthcare should be taken to mean "free at the point of service" and not "gifted from God".
I think the term anti-vaxx is better then unvaxx.

Old Dec 11th 2021, 4:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Exactly... which then separates the 'will nots' from the 'cannots'... a huge difference!
Old Dec 12th 2021, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
...What about those that have had C19 and recovered and already have protection that is as good as those with the vaccination
That was only ever true for some people and completely ignored those who had a bout of Covid but would still suffer from returning bouts or long covid.
However, for Omicron:
Mutations in the virus mean its spike protein now looks quite different from that of the original Wuhan strain that all current vaccines were designed to target. This means that antibodies from both previous infection and vaccination will be less efficient at intercepting Omicron...Studies show that a booster dose increases the levels of antibodies significantly above the level seen after two doses, which some hope means waning immunity will occur more slowly after a third dose (though insufficient time has passed to determine if this is the case). Early studies also suggest that the quality of antibodies is higher following a booster.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 6:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Exactly... which then separates the 'will nots' from the 'cannots'... a huge difference!
It's a fair point but there exists another group. I don't know if there's a name...the 'not convinced' or 'wait and see' folk. Actually, now I think of it, I have seen the expression 'vaccine hesitant' before.

Bayern Munich and Germany footballer Joshua Kimmich had reservations but insisted he was not a "Covid denier or an anti-vaxxer" and would likely eventually take it.

Quite frankly I've been astonished at the number of footballers reported to have been unvaxxed. Something like 32% in the premier league. Of course they're super fit, young and healthy; constantly monitored in games and out of games for any and every potential health issue.

But in terms of their ability to function at their normal levels the risk is surely greater than the rest of us. A modest bout of Covid for most is likely to involve a few days off work and/or isolating and then back into the swing of things if lucky.

For a footballer, that same modest bout disrupts their peak condition levels and they find themselves out of the team for a few matches. That, in turn, can affect their careers in many ways.

Interestingly, Kimmich tested positive in November but is still unable to return to training as he battles with the side effects of the virus, which has taken its toll on the 26-year-old's body. In a statement released on Bayern's official site, Kimmich had said: 'I'm happy my self-isolation caused by the coronavirus has ended. 'I'm doing very well, but I'm not yet able to train fully due to slight infiltrations in my lungs. 'I'll therefore do some rehabilitative training and can't wait to be fully back in action in January.'

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 12th 2021 at 9:37 pm. Reason: ;)
Old Dec 12th 2021, 7:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the biggest question right now is how virulent is the Omicron strain. It's already known that it's highly transmissible and capable of vaccine evasion (breakthrough). It takes several weeks of widespread transmission to establish virulence. Government's are playing it safe with precautions, which is the right policy. The public is split on those that are prepared to gamble (assuming low virulence) their health and those that are not.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish all these self righteous completely vaxed people would wear tight fitting masks, take social distancing very seriously and quit spreading all their Covid germs around to everybody that have not had the vaccine.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand
I just wish all these self righteous completely vaxed people would wear tight fitting masks, take social distancing very seriously and quit spreading all their Covid germs around to everybody that have not had the vaccine.
I do do all of the above and so does everyone I work with and everyone I see in public. I hope I don't come into contact with anyone who hasn't been vaccinated as they should not be out and about but, if I do, they'll be six feet away per local custom.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It seems the biggest question right now is how virulent is the Omicron strain. It's already known that it's highly transmissible and capable of vaccine evasion (breakthrough). It takes several weeks of widespread transmission to establish virulence. Government's are playing it safe with precautions, which is the right policy. The public is split on those that are prepared to gamble (assuming low virulence) their health and those that are not.
Yes some governments are and some maybe not and of course we even have different rules not just around the world but within countries. The US is of course huge but UK not so much yet four different areas all with their own take on what is needed and then there are the hoops one has to jump through to enter or even leave some countries and this of course has caused confusion and cancellations while people get to grips with what is and isn't allowed. Even though we are told this is a worldwide problem and no country is safe from the virus there is no "one world, one rule" What's deemed ok in some places is downright against all regulations in others. If we are told the best way to get through this is for everyone to get a booster against the Omicron what does that say for the poorer countries that cannot even get a decent percentage of their population vaccinated with a first shot let alone 3.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
If we are told the best way to get through this is for everyone to get a booster against the Omicron what does that say for the poorer countries that cannot even get a decent percentage of their population vaccinated with a first shot let alone 3.
Lots of people in poorer countries will go unvaccinated and die as a result, that's tragedy. Choosing not to be vaccinated and then dying as a result is comedy.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 8:00 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't refer to "UK" measures. Health is a devolved matter and Boris Johnson is only talking about measures in England. In fact, he is simply reintroducing measures in England which are already in place everywhere else in the UK. Measures which he voluntarily relaxed in order to appease the "civil liberties" nutjobs in his party. (As an aside, the same "civil liberties" nutjobs who just voted to criminalise protests...)

I'm in Scotland where the requirement to wear masks in indoor environments (except when sitting at your desk or a pub/restaurant table) has never been relaxed. But I was in London recently and was horrified at the almost-universal lack of mask wearing in shops, pubs and on the Tube.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 9:33 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Nand
Presumably you are setting a good example yourself.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 9:38 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Please don't refer to "UK" measures. Health is a devolved matter and Boris Johnson is only talking about measures in England. In fact, he is simply reintroducing measures in England which are already in place everywhere else in the UK. Measures which he voluntarily relaxed in order to appease the "civil liberties" nutjobs in his party. (As an aside, the same "civil liberties" nutjobs who just voted to criminalise protests...)

I'm in Scotland where the requirement to wear masks in indoor environments (except when sitting at your desk or a pub/restaurant table) has never been relaxed. But I was in London recently and was horrified at the almost-universal lack of mask wearing in shops, pubs and on the Tube.
It is bizarre isn't it. I think the media has been in remiss in not reporting the conveyor belt of death. Around 150 per day, each and every day, perhaps if more was made of it more folk would take the risks seriously. One needs only compare Britain to Japan to get a sense of how inadequate our approach has been.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably you are setting a good example yourself.
Haven't been out of the apartment in nearly two years now. Thanks for the good advice.

I like living life, no matter how it stacks up.

๐Ÿ ๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ•Š๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ 
Old Dec 13th 2021, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

It is bizarre isn't it. I think the media has been in remiss in not reporting the conveyor belt of death. Around 150 per day, each and every day, perhaps if more was made of it more folk would take the risks seriously. One needs only compare Britain to Japan to get a sense of how inadequate our approach has been.
seemingly people in Asia are more open to mask wearing without some belief that itโ€™s some master government plan to hide faces etc. Media in the UK and the western world have got more excitement running stories about the screaming ones at protests who think being forced to wear a mask is an erosion of civil liberties. So this I think then starts causing doubts amongst normally rational minds.

I did a quick google about Japan COVID and there are a couple articles there that suggest it could be genetics that have resulted in lower impacts on Japan. Donโ€™t know the sources, and havenโ€™t looked into it further so have no idea the validity of the study. Itโ€™s certainly not the first time Iโ€™ve heard this as a potential reason for lower cases and deaths in some Asian countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.