British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Danny B Jan 19th 2021 4:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12960986)
Interesting. I have only been logging the total EU/EEA figure.

However, fwiw, the latest Worldometer figure for the UK is 1348 (89,860 / 66.65).

Of course, the latest debate is based on the 7 day average. Tonight's UK figure will be revealing.

I've been using this:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Select the column ‘deaths per million last 7 days.

Shard Jan 19th 2021 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12961215)
Best number comparison analogy I've heard is 1 million compared to 1 billion.

One million seconds is 11 days.

One billion seconds is 32 years.

When I make an analogy on lottery odds, I ususally do it in terms of time. For example 75,000,000:1 is like choosing a date and time (to the minute) in the last 143 years ! Another way is to determine a time (to the second) within the next 2.3 years.

Shard Jan 19th 2021 5:04 pm

Standing capacity at the Royal Albert Hall (eg. proms) is 1350. So approximately one of those audiences lost to Covid per day.

Tangram Jan 19th 2021 5:42 pm

Nurse in UK who had Covid in April got vaccine first dose 3 weeks ago. Just been taken to hospital with new strain symptoms.

Tough times ahead.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 19th 2021 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12961273)
Nurse in UK who had Covid in April got vaccine first dose 3 weeks ago. Just been taken to hospital with new strain symptoms.

Tough times ahead.

A US congressman has COVID last I saw he wasn't showing symptoms fortunately, but he had received his first dose of the vaccine 28 days prior to his positive test.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 19th 2021 6:20 pm

Canada won't be receiving any Pfizer vaccines next week at all, this week will receive about 82% of what was expected.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/01...ment-deferred/

The US isn't affected by the Pfizer slow down, only countries who receive their supply from the Belgium facility are affected.

BristolUK Jan 19th 2021 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12961273)

Tough times ahead.

Reports from Israel suggest that the first dose may not be as effective as originally thought and that's without consideration of any new strains.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 19th 2021 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12961300)
Reports from Israel suggest that the first dose may not be as effective as originally thought and that's without consideration of any new strains.

Government's can't say they were not warned by the manufacture's about relying on dose.

Strain circulating in So. California may be more resistant to the vaccines, but study is needed. A strain first identified in Denmark, but has increased from 3,8% of samples in November in LA area to 25% of samples into Dec and January.

California has also held back a specific bath of Moderna vaccine after San Diego area saw higher than anticipated allergic reactions from that specific batch.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/another...rk-1234675834/

As for the UK and SA strains, last i can find they think the vaccines may work, but more study is needed to confirm.

Danny B Jan 19th 2021 7:56 pm

OMG, can you imagine the worldwide chaos that another strain going viral would cause if these current vaccines didn't work. Talk about banging your head on a wall.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 19th 2021 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12961348)
OMG, can you imagine the worldwide chaos that another strain going viral would cause if these current vaccines didn't work. Talk about banging your head on a wall.

Hopefully the virus expert people will know soon.

A little concerning is just before Christmas it was reported in US media Walter Reed Medical Center researchers were examining the UK strain to determine vaccine effectiveness and should know within a few days, but then nothing else was reported beyond that from what I can find, and its been a month almost, just odd nothing was followed up on that by the media it seems.

Stumpylegs Jan 19th 2021 9:43 pm

Looks like the shelves are empty in the stock room of the new vaccination centre in Toronto - hope its a very temporary supply issue not a sign of things to come (although the UK vaccination numbers have started to tail off already)

Toronto vaccination centre to temporarily close

Shard Jan 19th 2021 10:44 pm

Some very good commentary from Prof Christina Pagel here (starts at 4:05)

- UK might be at peak deaths, cases coming down now, but hospitalisations rising
- hospitalisations double of wave 1 and a long way to go to get back down (another 8 weeks)
- lockdown necessary well beyond February because even if 70+ are vaccinated, 90% of cases are in below that age range
- younger (non-vaccinated) group is at risk of long covid, and further transmission time gives virus more chance to mutate
- NHS staff extremely stressed in wave 2

printer Jan 20th 2021 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12961447)
Some very good commentary from Prof Christina Pagel here (starts at 4:05)

- UK might be at peak deaths, cases coming down now, but hospitalisations rising
- hospitalisations double of wave 1 and a long way to go to get back down (another 8 weeks)
- lockdown necessary well beyond February because even if 70+ are vaccinated, 90% of cases are in below that age range
- younger (non-vaccinated) group is at risk of long covid, and further transmission time gives virus more chance to mutate
- NHS staff extremely stressed in wave 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJIpuNPrQM

2021 is going to be a non event much like most of 2020 i feel. I won't be making any plans for some time to come. :thumbdown:

Shard Jan 20th 2021 5:24 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12961522)
2021 is going to be a non event much like most of 2020 i feel. I won't be making any plans for some time to come. :thumbdown:

I'm not sure, we are in the thick of it now, but by early summer things may be very different. Nevertheless, I'm also holding off on making any plans.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 20th 2021 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12961410)
Looks like the shelves are empty in the stock room of the new vaccination centre in Toronto - hope its a very temporary supply issue not a sign of things to come (although the UK vaccination numbers have started to tail off already)

Toronto vaccination centre to temporarily close

Canada has a supply issue, but not at the fault of the government. Pfizer is pausing some production lines at their Belgium plant as they announced last week. Then today it was made known that next weeks order was deferred and Canada wont be receiving any, and then the first 2 weeks of February the deliveries will be roughly cut in half.

Hopefully J&J will be approved sometime in the next month, however their production has hit a snag and will be behind schedule so if approved in February may not see any until mid March to April.

Seems the US is about the only country not facing Pfizer delays, but they do have Pfizers largest or one of the largest manufacturing facilities so that helps.