British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Jerseygirl Mar 24th 2020 10:48 am

Re: Coronavirus

I think pet stores are allowed to remain open...essential for the pets. We have been in self isolation for the last 2 weeks...TBH it’s not too bad...not bad at all.

Jingsamichty Mar 24th 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12826240)
We have been in self isolation for the last 2 weeks...TBH it’s not too bad...not bad at all.

My daughter wouldn't agree... it's her 18th birthday tomorrow. All party plans out the window, she's stuck in the house with her old mum and dad. :( To be fair, she is being magnificently mature about it.

Jerseygirl Mar 24th 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12826265)
My daughter wouldn't agree... it's her 18th birthday tomorrow. All party plans out the window, she's stuck in the house with her old mum and dad. :( To be fair, she is being magnificently mature about it.

:( I’m sorry...that truly sucks.

dbd33 Mar 24th 2020 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12826221)
Is Pet Smart still open? We have a new one that has just opened and it has 'self service wash your doggy' station! My dog (a big Cairn Terrier) has a visit to the groomer every 3 months ish, but it's not cheap, and much as I love him he does smell, my son and I had planned to try to wrestle him in there when C19 changed our lives...now I'm 'working from home', my son lost his job and Uni has pretty much ground to a halt, I will check and go there...if possible - thank you PP

Car washes sometimes have a pet wash attached. That's a separate room with hoses and whatnot rather than a conveyor with the cars and trucks. There's also U Wash Dog Wash.

BristolUK Mar 24th 2020 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12826225)
Why can these people just not stay in and isolate? Two weeks might just make all the difference...

My street is too quiet to tell. I see more smokers outside a small apartment building than walking along the street!

I was interested in the downtown cams to see if people were maintaining a gap but there weren't really enough to say so.

I was amused where two were approaching each other - one pushing a buggy - and the (assumed) guy veered off to the right at the same time the (assumed) woman went to her right and pressed the button to cross at the lights...and then, when he went by, didn't cross at the lights but carried on :confused:
It was as if she pretended, not wanting to make it look as if she was moving away from him.

But then she suddenly ran full pelt, with the buggy, on a path towards city hall entrance. Probably playing 'chicken' with another parent with buggy but it happened out of shot. :lol:

BristolUK Mar 24th 2020 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12826291)
Car washes sometimes have a pet wash attached. That's a separate room with hoses and whatnot rather than a conveyor with the cars and trucks. There's also U Wash Dog Wash.

Could you keep the dog in the car with the windows open? :rofl:

Zoe Bell Mar 24th 2020 12:34 pm

Well it has been two weeks and we are not the ground zero i was expecting us to be . Seems like all the excess cleaning , drowning in sanitizer etc worked !!

Jerseygirl Mar 24th 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12826299)
Well it has been two weeks and we are not the ground zero i was expecting us to be . Seems like all the excess cleaning , drowning in sanitizer etc worked !!

I was thinking about you yesterday when someone on here mentioned a convention. Thank goodness you are ok.

Zoe Bell Mar 24th 2020 12:39 pm

not just me, our attendees too.

Piff Poff Mar 24th 2020 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12826221)
Is Pet Smart still open? We have a new one that has just opened and it has 'self service wash your doggy' station! My dog (a big Cairn Terrier) has a visit to the groomer every 3 months ish, but it's not cheap, and much as I love him he does smell, my son and I had planned to try to wrestle him in there when C19 changed our lives...now I'm 'working from home', my son lost his job and Uni has pretty much ground to a halt, I will check and go there...if possible - thank you PP

Our pet smart us still open. Lots of the pet shops have a self serve dog wash. Global pet foods and pet value have them.

cheeky_monkey Mar 24th 2020 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12826217)
Had to laugh this morning at Mike Ashley's claims that Sports Direct shops should remain open because they provided "vital sports and fitness equipment" to the British public. Last time I was in a Sports Direct <shudder> it was just wall to wall piles of Kappa tracksuits, Barcelona football shirts and giant mugs.

Hopefully another greedy, grasping wideboy about to learn a lesson. Should have put this in the "Upsides" thread.

to be fair you can get decent trainers in there for cheap,,which you cant get here..the rest of the shop agreed is garbage

jimf Mar 24th 2020 2:13 pm

It’s only fair...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9420966.html

BristolUK Mar 24th 2020 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12826376)

What is?

Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

jimf Mar 24th 2020 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12826380)
What is?

The link works for me? Here is a copy of the first few lines of the article...

Rio Ferdinand adamant Premier League season should be ‘voided’ to leave Liverpool missing out on title

The former Manchester United star believes there is no way the campaign can be finished without compromising the players’ health

Rete Mar 24th 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12826240)
I think pet stores are allowed to remain open...essential for the pets. We have been in self isolation for the last 2 weeks...TBH it’s not too bad...not bad at all.

Our local Petsmart was open on Sunday. We needed two large bags of cat food and they seemed to have a nice stock of all the brands on the shelves. Minimal workforce. Only 3 girls and the manager.

Almost Canadian Mar 24th 2020 3:38 pm

What was the government thinking? Unlimited authority to tax and spend what they want until December 2021?

BristolUK Mar 24th 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12826398)
The link works for me?

Me too now.

Pulaski Mar 24th 2020 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12826398)
.... leave Liverpool missing out on title ....

It's good to see that professional sportsmen, and the journalists that report on sports, are focused on thet critical issues of the day! :rolleyes:

Paul_Shepherd Mar 24th 2020 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12826452)
What was the government thinking? Unlimited authority to tax and spend what they want until December 2021?

Yes, I found that very alarming, there must be another way around that, medical staff don't stop working so why does parliament.

jimf Mar 24th 2020 4:23 pm

Looks like a promising pre-vaccine approach...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...eat-seriously/

dave_j Mar 24th 2020 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12826486)
Yes, I found that very alarming, there must be another way around that, medical staff don't stop working so why does parliament.

You have to understand the mentality of the political animal, foremost of which is the principle that you look after 'Number One' and that there is no concept of a 'Number Two".

Paul_Shepherd Mar 24th 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12826491)
You have to understand the mentality of the political animal, foremost of which is the principle that you look after 'Number One' and that there is no concept of a 'Number Two".

Yes, but it still doesn't alter the fact though that there is another way around this, other than hand out a blank cheque book!

Oink Mar 24th 2020 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12826491)

Apart from when they speak, boom boom

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 24th 2020 6:01 pm

Illegal drug supply on the DTES is shrinking and illegal supply having difficulty making it across the border. This may cause a perfect storm through the DTES. There are already reports of people being more aggressively, especially when panhandling and asking for money.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03...vid-19-border/

Petsmart is still open here, but they are asking people to order online and do in store pick up to avoid coming into the store, other smaller pet stores with an online presence have closed their physical stores and online only, one provides delivery, and the other is doing curbside pick up a couple hours each week.

Pet food supply seems to be in good supply still, some flavors or brands might be low, but overall doesn't appear to be a shortage of pet food.

Some vets are prohibiting humans from going into their offices as well, animals only (excluding staff obviously as they are allowed.)

I do worry about the local aquarium stores though, not sure if they will all survive this which will be another blow to the hobby, its already scarce in this part of the world.

BristolUK Mar 24th 2020 6:47 pm

I was amused by this on CBC:

Premier Blaine Higgs said he has heard of residents calling 911 to report returning travellers who are not self-isolating for 14 days.

The government will have a phone line and email set up by Sunday for people to call "for advice on their concerns of how to help family members and neighbours comply with the state of emergency orders," he said.
I immediately recalled the 'shop your neighbour' phone lines in the UK for reporting people fraudulently claiming benefits and thought how typically Canadian that this was worded as how to help people comply. :lol:

And today they're now calling it a snitch line.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 24th 2020 7:09 pm

Bombardier to lay off 12,400 as it stops aircraft and rail production in Ontario and Quebec.

EI claims last week and through the weekend 929,000 — 5% of the labour force. Last year during the same week 27,000 claims.

sharkus Mar 24th 2020 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12826546)
I was amused by this on CBC:
I immediately recalled the 'shop your neighbour' phone lines in the UK for reporting people fraudulently claiming benefits and thought how typically Canadian that this was worded as how to help people comply. :lol:

And today they're now calling it a snitch line.

Now you have me thinking about Boys from the Blackstuff.

sharkus Mar 24th 2020 7:26 pm

Not sure if it's been posted earlier, but here's the Ontario list of essential workplaces:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces

Siouxie Mar 24th 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12826577)
Not sure if it's been posted earlier, but here's the Ontario list of essential workplaces:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces

Would have been easier for them to just publish a list of places that were closed.
Far too much still open :(

caretaker Mar 24th 2020 8:05 pm

I went in today and got the mail, let the ATM guy in to take the cartridges out of the cash machines, boxed up all the liquor in both bars and locked it up, shut off all the coolers and the draft machine, did a few other things and put fresh cat food under the step (a big ginger feral came through last night). I can still go to work because there's nobody else there, but there's no pressure so far, and there's lots to do, and it gets me out of the house. I can see doing this for 3 or 4 hours a day (or more) until someone tells me different. I'm open to suggestions, direct orders, that sort of thing, lol. So far looks like I'm in for Order of Lenin.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 24th 2020 8:17 pm

6,900 employees at Westjet are being cut, almost 50% of their workforce (I imagine additional losses will be coming indirectly because of this as well since Westjet contracts out a lot of 3rd party vendors for things like ramp, aircraft cleaning, catering etc) although seems most of the 6,900 have voluntarily left according to the company.

Air Canada has reached an agreement with its pilots to furlough up to 600.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...box=1585080016

MillieF Mar 24th 2020 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12826595)
I went in today and got the mail, let the ATM guy in to take the cartridges out of the cash machines, boxed up all the liquor in both bars and locked it up, shut off all the coolers and the draft machine, did a few other things and put fresh cat food under the step (a big ginger feral came through last night).

This is so very sad caretaker...I’m sniveling about the cat now too. My warmest thoughts...I never know how to do those hug icons...but I am sending you one...

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 24th 2020 10:22 pm

Business Council of B.C. is forecasting a 7-12% shrink of the BC economy.

Maybe this will be our lucky year and we will get a subsidized unit, but then they are likely to see an increase in people becoming homeless/needing housing so it may lead to a longer wait. Very short term we can just use disability to cover rent, but that isn't a viable mid term solution since eventually other bills, food and such will need to be dealt with, maybe there will be a chance at working in a couple months, really depends on how well the economy is.

145 new coronavirus cases announced in BC today, total now 617

No new deaths.

59 in hospital now with 23 of those in ICU.

2 additional long term care homes have outbreaks.

3866 hospital beds available (66% occupancy)

ICU bed occupancy at 53%

3500 COVID-19 tests being done daily

caretaker Mar 24th 2020 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12826657)
This is so very sad caretaker...I’m sniveling about the cat now too. My warmest thoughts...I never know how to do those hug icons...but I am sending you one...

I thank you, the cat thanks you.

scilly Mar 25th 2020 3:52 am

JS .................... don't you qualify for the GST Credit?

Because there is a one time special payment in early May. If so, that is at least a little bit of help.

Plus I read in a finance article over the weekend that anyone eligible for the Credit should file their 2019 taxes by the original deadline of April 30 to be sure that they get the correct credit beginning in July.

I also heard that the Provincial Government will be bringing in a law to forbid evictions of people who can't pay their rent.

scilly Mar 25th 2020 4:04 am

I can see part of one of the main roads south from Vancouver over the river and to the US border.

There is very little traffic along that road now, it often looks like it does at 2 or 3 am. It is also incredibly quiet.

One interesting thing is that we are on a corner, and there are fewer cars parking on either of those streets during the daytime, which is the reverse of what I would expect.

I'm beginning to wonder where those cars that used to park during the day came from :rofl:

What I am seeing are more people walking, especially along the east-west street ........... alone, in pairs (obvious couples) and small family groups. They all appear to be keeping space between themselves and any unrelated groups.

Our local coffee shop is still quite busy with take-out orders, and a friend told me that the convenience store next door has been really busy ......... it is in the centre of a lot of apartment buildings and his prices always seem reasonable.

OH goes out in the morning if we need anything from the store, and is still going for a walk in the early evening .......... he says he sees very few people, and few are riding the buses.

I'm still self-quarantining and not going out, have another week to go.

It was our daughter's birthday today. We called her, and she told me "It's a very strange birthday, it will be unforgettable. Snow and rain, then sun, in quarantine, home schooling, trying to work from home. I'll have to do a lot of work tomorrow to catch up."

Asked if they were getting a take-out from their favourite restaurant as a celebratory dinner, "No, Mum. We got a take-out from them on Sunday, and we're going to eat the left overs tonight!!"

Definitely a very different birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 25th 2020 4:45 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12826779)
JS .................... don't you qualify for the GST Credit?

Because there is a one time special payment in early May. If so, that is at least a little bit of help.

Plus I read in a finance article over the weekend that anyone eligible for the Credit should file their 2019 taxes by the original deadline of April 30 to be sure that they get the correct credit beginning in July.

I also heard that the Provincial Government will be bringing in a law to forbid evictions of people who can't pay their rent.

We get some GST credit at the moment yes, and I have no idea what the May payment will be, or what the new payment July forward will be as our income in 2019 was substantially lower vs 2018 so GST amount should go up, I think.

Government is supposed to announce renters thing tomorrow, short term it may help free up some cash for food, but have to see what the government's plan is.

Crazy times a month almost 1 month ago exactly things finally looked like they were going to be improving, was going to training for a job, looked like a job that was a good fit for me, and would bring in the much needed income we need, and not even 2 weeks later, the world basically collapsed around society tossing all that out the window, really insane how fast things changed. I have never in my life seen such drastic change in not even a months time.

There was an economist on the news, Global or maybe CBC, I don't know one of the Canadian ones, talking about unemployment getting into the 10%-20% range if that happens wages are gonna fall and will be basically impossible for those like my wife and I to get a job, there will be so many out of work that companies that are hiring will have cream of the crop talent they normally would not have access to.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 25th 2020 4:55 am

All of the businesses in our building on ground floor except the medical lab are closed, barber, restaurant, coffee shop all closed and have been for 1-2 weeks now, Starbucks was the last to close last week.

Canada Post facility looks like its Christmas time, the street is pretty bust during parts of the day, but the buses are largely empty especially after dark. Mostly homeless people/mentally ill/addicts on the street during the day, all the usual hipsters are nowhere to be seen, way more police sirens at night, but less ambulances and fire trucks, so seems crime must be up or something.

Way less semi trucks at night, basically non-existent from the port, average night there are dozens that go past as in the middle of the night instead of going down Clark South, they just go up E Hastings as there is no traffic at that hour.

Danny B Mar 25th 2020 2:12 pm

God damn, Prince Charles has been tested positive for the virus now. Hope he stayed the hell away from his parents.

MillieF Mar 25th 2020 2:36 pm

I see Prince Charles has now tested positive for C19. What a wonderful positive thing this would be if he comes through this unscathed- yes I know he is going to get better treatment than Joe Blow in Hackney, but it would just be a very positive note for older people who are feeling a bit targeted by this thing.

I also hope he’s OK as he didn’t get to vote to be him, and didn’t have much choice in the matter, he hasn’t spent his life down a mine but I can’t for one moment imagine it’s been especially pleasurable...I really vote that he dies in bed germ free when it’s his ‘proper’ time.